Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 79

Author Topic: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - One Year Later  (Read 110548 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea
« Reply #930 on: July 21, 2010, 02:59:05 pm »

Hah, that's the first I heard of that.  I would think a multi billion dollar company like BP would at least do a better job than the guys at the Colbert Report did with the photoshopping all the oil out of the gulf.  I was impressed by that.  Looking at the picture of all the screens at the command center it does indeed look a bit off.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: July 21, 2010, 05:07:54 pm »

Duuvian
Arguably, wouldn't it be better for BP to be able to pay off their massive debt than simply bankrupt them? If they go belly-up, there would be less reparations, unless I'm completely missing something about the way economics works.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: July 22, 2010, 01:04:51 am »

Duuvian
Arguably, wouldn't it be better for BP to be able to pay off their massive debt than simply bankrupt them? If they go belly-up, there would be less reparations, unless I'm completely missing something about the way economics works.

Hmm, I'm not sure where you quoted from. Was it my mis-post in another thread? I went and deleted that once I realized I had mis-posted. Here is what I had written (before I made the post above); so I would understand if that's what you are referring to:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: I should clarify that by National protection in my previous post in this thread that I meant that companies are welcome to drill, extract, and refine it as they do now, but it would be illegal to waste, destroy, or mothball resources in whatever form they are in. They should be used for public consumption, not to be destroyed or stockpiled in the hope of driving up prices on what is allowed on the market. This will probably be more and more of an issue as global oil supplies deplete in the future.

If it's not that, I'd have to see what my original post that you quoted to see what I was saying and thinking at that time and what you are referring to before I answer.

I'm also unsure how bankruptcy law functions as I haven't read any books about it so I may be the wrong person to ask. As far as the reparations go, I have no idea how that's being handled so I'm probably doubly wrong the person to ask. Does anyone know what reparations BP has agreed upon to this point and who is in charge of distributing them?

EDIT2: A few quick reparations links:

Here is something from wikipedia about bankruptcy laws in the UK. I don't know if BP and other multi-nationals qualify as a UK company for bankruptcy or if they are free to choose the country with the loosest laws. Also, it appears in the UK that companies are not eligible for bankruptcy; instead choosing between liquidation or administration (which according to the wiki link below is is similar to chapter 11 with a few differences)

So, actually, the way to get the most "reparations" would be if the company was liquidated and the wealth distributed to those areas affected by the spill for cleanup work and to cover whatever damages to fishermen that occurred and other damage to the local economy. HOWEVER, BP employs a relatively large amount of people. [80,300 (Dec 2009)] so as long as they are unable to wriggle out of being heavily regulated then I would say it would be a good question whether a large one time infusion of cash caused by liquedation of BP
is worth the long term cost of those 80,300 jobs. Plus, there is the risk that the competitor's prices will theoretically be affected by losing a large competitor, being allowed access to their former wells, possible expansion of other oil companies caused by this and encouraged by an infusion of knowledgeable personnel and equipment. There are really a lot of factors. The best answer to bankruptcy in this case would likely be going into administration and encouraging a moralistic driven approach in the future in addition to the money making aspect of corporations.

All that having been said, BP isn't at risk of bankruptcy yet, right? I noticed in the spoiler above that they make an operational income of about $26.5 billion a year. By this definition:
depending on BP's income tax rate and interest rate on what they have saved, the $20 billion dollar escrow fund could be greater than the profits BP makes in a year, thus encouraging them to sell some assets as I've read in the news recently they were forced to do. I'm not making any points with this statement, just something to think about.

Also, what are people's opinions on Federal controlled oil companies in competition with the private? I'm not talking trying to drive them out of business, just as a way of regulation through competition and as a way to ensure having the tools exist that would have been helpful in stopping the leak 80 days ago, in addition to having the tools to map national oil reserves without having to trust corporations to be honest about the way they make money without being able to tell if they might be lying. I'd be happy with just having those tools in the hands of government instead of government being competition, which I understand many people are leery of, it just seems like it would be easier to pay for these things by turning a small profit.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 02:04:10 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: July 22, 2010, 05:23:28 am »

Because if you nationalise the oil wells, the US will either hate you or invade you (Chavez, Saddam). So they'd have to invade themselves.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: July 22, 2010, 05:57:09 am »

And that would be bad.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LordMelvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: July 22, 2010, 07:22:22 am »

Yes. Yes, that would be horrible.
This space unintentionally left blank.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: July 22, 2010, 07:42:21 am »

Because if you nationalise the oil wells, the US will either hate you or invade you (Chavez, Saddam). So they'd have to invade themselves.

And that would be bad.

Yes. Yes, that would be horrible.

Hehe. I can't argue with that.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: July 23, 2010, 02:28:00 pm »

And now BP is buying the silence of some scientific. Just great.
http://www.rtbf.be/info/economie/usa/bp-accuse-de-vouloir-acheter-le-silence-des-scientifiques
Too bad those who refused spoke to the bbc.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: July 23, 2010, 09:32:05 pm »

Duuvian - first priority, stop the oil from flowing.  Second priority, clean it up.  Third priority, see if it can still be used.

You don't go trying to make wooden furnishings during a forest fire.

LordMelvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: July 25, 2010, 06:40:08 pm »

Have you forgotten which forums we're on? This is Bay12. Of course you make wooden products when your wood supply is burning...
This space unintentionally left blank.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: July 25, 2010, 09:55:24 pm »

The best way to stop a forest fire is to build a wooden wall around it...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: July 25, 2010, 09:57:58 pm »

The best way to stop a forest fire is to build a wooden ice wall around it...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: July 25, 2010, 10:56:25 pm »

Well if one could somehow manage to surround a large fire with a wall made of ice, without the ice melting during construction I imagine it would be pretty effective at containing the fire at least.  And containment is probably one of the first steps to putting out a big fire.

I mean, fire gets too close to the ice, part of the wall turns to water, water puts out fire nearby, fire cannot reignite at that location due to already burnt and wet fuel.

Dwarves would try to stop a forest fire with !!steel lignite bins!! anyway.  making a wall of those is more complicated than building a typical wall.  Dwarves don't do things the straightforward way.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: July 25, 2010, 11:57:45 pm »

Can I not put out a forest fire with my millions upon millions of exceptional dyed rope reed socks, launched from the nearest mountaintop to smother the fire?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: July 26, 2010, 01:06:35 am »

I don't see how this much incompetence can be present in anything run by professionals. BP's standards on all fronts are terrible, from their engineering to their PR campaign.

Is there anything they get right? Someone was saying that they have some sort of problem with dealing with the output from the !#*@#$% hoses. Really? What kind of asstard can't figure out how to have all outflow filling a reservoir (such as a small tanker) and deplete that regularly with tankers transporting the oil for use?

I KNOW that there are people with an IQ of less than 80 who can siphon gas. A trained engineer should be able to figure out this simple concept.

Equivalent concept: "Oooh, water pours from broken faucet into big bucket. Can't spill water, bucket sitting on computer bank. Use hose, take water from bucket and put into other buckets without spilling water."

The concept is really that simple. They're all sitting around with their thumbs up their arses worried about what happens each time the bucket fills up before the plumber stops the leak. Only in their case, they have tons of cash, trained personnel, and expensive, specialized equipment to do the very tasks they can't seem to figure out. To continue the rant: What kind of dumb**** gives the order to pay deckhands $200 per diem to putter around waiting for an oil slick to skim, and won't give them a relatively cheap breather so they don't become ill and sue the company for millions?
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 79