Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 79

Author Topic: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - One Year Later  (Read 110541 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea
« Reply #915 on: July 19, 2010, 06:20:46 am »

So much for faith in BP's engineers:

Seepage detected in seabed near capped well. This was somewhat expected. Now to see if they have to unplug the well, or if they choose to deny there's a problem until the whole damn thing blows again and we're looking at like 100K barrels/day leakage. Given their track record, I'm putting my money on the latter.  >:(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: July 19, 2010, 06:24:17 am »

And then if they unplug it for work, whether it'll take another eighty seven days to put the cap back on.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: July 19, 2010, 06:46:46 am »

And then if they unplug it for work, whether it'll take another eighty seven days to put the cap back on.
They may not have a choice. If the well's structural integrity has been compromised far enough, they might not be able to seal it without generating enough pressure elsewhere that it blows out a different section. It's like stuffing a fat guy into a pair of spandex pants.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: July 19, 2010, 07:01:53 am »

Isn't that what the slant drilling(tm) was for?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: July 19, 2010, 08:37:05 am »

Partially. The relief wells are supposed to lower the pressure, but their main purpose is to allow them to start pumping heavy drilling mud into the bottom of the well and basically plug it at its source. Doing so will more or less kill that well for all future use, which is a bigger economic hit to BP (although frankly dwarfed by what this is going to cost them overall).

You have to remember, when this all blew up, they were in the process of pumping mud into the top of the well to "cap" it for later use.

To use a DF analogy, they dug down till they hit cavern, just so they'd know where the platinum, gems and HFS metal are for later. Then they were going to build a microcline wall to seal it off and come back when they're ready. But instead, oil demons with [BUILDINGDESTROYER:1] poured forth. And then, they had two options:

1. Try to fight their way back in and build another wall, hoping that there wasn't a gap somewhere else they had missed.
2. Cave-in with semi-living rock. More likely to succeed, but then they'll never be able to dig back down to that deposit.

They've been opting for #1 for quite a while, partly because #2 was going to take a while to set up, and partly (IMHO) because they didn't want to lose the chance to extract that oil later. I think what changed the equation somewhat might be best illustrated with a DF analogy as well:

Barack Obama, President is throwing a tantrum!
Tony Hayward, CEO has been struck down.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 08:40:38 am by RedKing »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: July 19, 2010, 09:28:48 am »

Wow, that DF analogy was brilliant!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: July 19, 2010, 10:01:37 am »

So much for faith in BP's engineers:

Seepage detected in seabed near capped well. This was somewhat expected. Now to see if they have to unplug the well, or if they choose to deny there's a problem until the whole damn thing blows again and we're looking at like 100K barrels/day leakage. Given their track record, I'm putting my money on the latter.  >:(

We don't know how big the seep is. It could be a naturally ouccuring one (extremely debateable given the circumstances) that got opened by the pressure. Still, just the fact that there is a seep right by the well is worrying in itself since that would mean that the oil has found an alternate way to the surface and we don't have a clue where that one is coming from, plus it will be far harder to stop that one.

If it settles down to the rate of a natural oil seep, okay, but this isn't exactly a normal oil seep either.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: July 20, 2010, 12:53:11 am »

It's another bad sign, but don't forget that the seeping is about 1/30th of the main pipe's leak.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: July 20, 2010, 12:59:18 am »

The main pipe that dumped (Recalling from memory here) about 16,000,000 gallons of oil into the Gulf of Mexico? 1/30th of that output is still very bad.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: July 20, 2010, 07:02:57 pm »

Oh, wow, just noticed this on the wikipedia page for the spill:
13 dead (11 killed on Deepwater Horizon, 2 additional oil-related deaths)[1][2]
With the source:
http://workinprogress.firedoglake.com/2010/06/23/two-workers-dead-in-bp-oil-disaster-recovery-effort/
So that's one dead from a "swimming incident", and one confirmed suicide...

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: July 21, 2010, 10:34:44 am »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/jul/18/bp-oil-spill-gulf
It's an old problem : oil company, are tempted to reduce security cost to save money. It's true for nuclear energy too and has already led to nuclear incidents(for instance Tokaimura's).
Bu in this case, BP seems particularly over the top.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: July 21, 2010, 12:36:37 pm »

Oh, wow, just noticed this on the wikipedia page for the spill:
13 dead (11 killed on Deepwater Horizon, 2 additional oil-related deaths)[1][2]
With the source:
http://workinprogress.firedoglake.com/2010/06/23/two-workers-dead-in-bp-oil-disaster-recovery-effort/
So that's one dead from a "swimming incident", and one confirmed suicide...

I think I heard that the swimming incident was a swimming pool incident and since they said it was not work related....

Anyways, Discovery news page of the photoshopping incident: http://news.discovery.com/tech/another-altered-bp-photo-raises-eyebrows.html

While you'd think that a company would be more careful about public relations in such a situation, I'm not surprised given their previous PR blunders.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: July 21, 2010, 12:45:09 pm »

ouch, any news on the seepage?
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: July 21, 2010, 12:58:03 pm »

ouch, any news on the seepage?

I don't think so, nothing new anyways.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: July 21, 2010, 02:55:13 pm »

It seems like BP's solutions always involve ruining the oil, even going so far as to burn it once it was on board a ship. Is anyone working on alternative plans to allow pumping in the well to continue safely?

If they have a system of valves in place in case of an emergency relating to pressure increase, I was wondering why they don't attach "hoses" to them. That way, half the hoses could go to a bunch of floating containers or tanks, and half could go to a tanker. When the tanker is full, switch the valves to the floating containers until a new ship is lined up. That way oil won't be spraying everywhere. Then you could have a 3rd fleet of ships to empty the containers into once the next ship is in place and the oil pumping to it.

Also, are there any non-industry estimates on the size of the well collected by non-industry related people?
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 79