Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 79

Author Topic: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - One Year Later  (Read 110542 times)

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea
« Reply #870 on: July 09, 2010, 07:39:00 pm »

So, has this been cleared up yet?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: July 09, 2010, 07:41:25 pm »

So, has this been cleared up yet?

Ah... Ah ha ha... Ah ha...

No.  No it has not been cleared up yet.  So many links and stories I should be adding.  Hmm...
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: July 09, 2010, 08:10:26 pm »

Edit:  If that post was a joke, then I'm sorry, disregard the rest of what is said.  I assumed it wasn't in light of the posts that followed it.

Considering that this has never happened before, and that there is no known cause and there are no known contributing factors, it's quite reasonable to investigate sabotage.

Umm.... WHAT?  You may live on the coast,  but that doesn't mean that you know what you're talking about.  Offshore rigs have sunk numerous times in history;  we have had NUMEROUS blowouts, both on and offshore.  I personally know 2 people that have died in blowouts.

Here's a few things to back this up:
2001- World's then largest offshore rig sinks, 10 people killed
Last week, an offshore rig sank
Another one, in 2001

The list goes on and on.  This is not an isolated incident.  Offshore drilling is just as fraught with perils as land drilling;  unfortunately, the stakes are much higher offshore.  This means that an offshore rig failing has a much higher impact than on land.

And BP being the only one that doesn't use that type of preventer...  I don't have a whole lot of experience offshore specifically,  so I can't comment directly.  However, I will say that BP, in my experience, has a much higher safety standard than most.  The company I am working for RIGHT NOW has dropped their bids on contracts solely because BP got involved,  and that increased our safety overhead.
the stakes are no higher, although it is just that it is harder to access the oil well when you have to swim to it.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: July 09, 2010, 11:02:34 pm »

If the Gulf was drained, what would the effects of the air pressure be?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: July 10, 2010, 01:02:56 am »

That depends on what you're draining the Gulf into.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: July 10, 2010, 02:33:13 am »

HFS.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: July 10, 2010, 02:39:06 am »

We could drain it into Canada, freeze it, and sell the resulting fish-popsicles to the Japanese.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: July 10, 2010, 04:23:36 pm »

And risk the ire of the Mounties? Canada may be lacking in badass, but this is because all of their alloted badass has been poured into the Mounties. We can't take that. The USA's badass hasn't been that concentrated ever since Audry Murphy died.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: July 10, 2010, 05:20:58 pm »

And risk the ire of the Mounties? Canada may be lacking in badass, but this is because all of their alloted badass has been poured into the Mounties. We can't take that. The USA's badass hasn't been that concentrated ever since Audry Murphy died.
Chuck Norris.
BARAKA OBAMA.
We distract them with Twilight, and if that doesn't kill them, we send in Chuck Norris.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: July 10, 2010, 05:28:49 pm »

Chuck Norris.
BARAKA OBAMA.
We distract them with Twilight, and if that doesn't kill them, we send in Chuck Norris.

That plan has at least a moderate chance of tearing North America asunder. So what are you waiting for, start making calls!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: July 10, 2010, 10:08:56 pm »

That depends on what you're draining the Gulf into.
I was more think about what the air pressure would be at the site of the leak if all the water was gone...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: July 10, 2010, 11:04:13 pm »

On the plus side, if the whole gulf is going to explode and flood half the lower 48, and kill most life on Earth....at least we won't have to wait long for. They said if something spectacularly horrible happens, it will happen in six months or less.

That shit about New Orleans is just sad though. City wiped out by a hurricane, slow to recover and now they've all been breathing toxic levels of gasses for probably two months now.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: July 10, 2010, 11:12:20 pm »

On the bright side, they have long needed a state to convert into a giant prison...
Read the First Post!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: July 10, 2010, 11:25:27 pm »

Yea, so we can make a live performance of one of those so-bad-they're-good "Escape from ___" movies!
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: July 10, 2010, 11:27:06 pm »

I don't know if this has been posted but....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adiZE3cwYDM&feature=player_embedded

Basically the EPA has found levels of toxic gasses in Gulf Coast states that are about 1000x higher than what they consider to be safe concentrations. Some of these gasses they rate for safety as low as 4 parts per billion....and they're finding levels in the 1000's.

The only thing that is slightly comforting to me is that this is effectively what happens when you have major volcanic activity near large population centers. A ton of highly toxic gas drifts into populated areas. What still sucks is that BP may have effectively set off a geological event that may not have happened for 100s more years. The Gulf may not go boom....but half the coast may feel the effects for generations from a huge vent of natural, toxic and corrosive gasses in their back yard.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 11:37:53 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 79