Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 79

Author Topic: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - One Year Later  (Read 110507 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea
« Reply #840 on: July 08, 2010, 04:08:10 am »

Oh.

Oh Shit.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: July 08, 2010, 04:15:56 am »

Oil spill Oil schmill.

It might be the End of the World (As We Know It (and I feel fine)).

I caught part of the Rachel Maddow show a couple weeks ago.  She was putting up little oil patches on a map of the US to show where oil spills had occurred in the last decade.  The later guests commented that it looked like the weather reports from some horrible Road Warrior future (their words).

As much as I'd love to live in crazy dystopia action-movie world, watching the relative normalcy of the 20th century sink under a cloud of oily methane is a pretty bummer way to watch it happen.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: July 08, 2010, 04:18:53 am »

Meh, I'm an ocean away, front row seats without the immediate discomfort of death.

I'll probably die in the toxic fallout, but at least I got to see it all :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: July 08, 2010, 07:41:17 am »

While it is a terribly high pressure, 40,000 PSI is still manageable.  Even the tools we DON'T call high pressure tools are rated at being able to withstand 50,000.

I'd love to think about the horrid scenarios possible,  but the DWH is really more of a world dies with a whimper instead of a bang thing.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: July 08, 2010, 07:47:58 am »

And it seems they try to keep journalist out. http://www.csindy.com/colorado/lowdown/Content?oid=1761206
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: July 08, 2010, 08:53:03 am »

This just keeps getting ~better and ~better. I wonder how many of the people here would be as stupid if they were in the same situation.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: July 08, 2010, 09:41:10 am »

I dunno, looking at other articles around the internet, only that one seems to be predicting game over man game over.  Most of the other ones are saying a low probability of major tidal waves taking out most of the gulf coast.  Still bad, but not apocalyptic.
Shoes...

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: July 08, 2010, 09:55:31 am »

I wonder if the other platform would be able to take it or if they will sink too. An interesting chain reaction is possible.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: July 08, 2010, 12:21:39 pm »

Everything in the area would sink because the methane bubbles would disrupt buoyancy.  Even if it didn't sink, everyone in the area would suffocate when the gas broke the surface
Shoes...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: July 08, 2010, 12:54:43 pm »

OMG That must be why they had to take that cap off!  A robot didn't bump into it at all!  They realised it was causing the methane buildup to accellerate and had to take it back off to try to release the pressure to try and buy time!  Everybody evacuate the gulf coast!  I'm getting out of Florida!  We are all doomed! Stockpile food and water! The end is near!  Cancel your trip to the gulf states!  It could happen ANY DAY NOW!

...Or it could just be more fear mongering killing the Florida tourism industry even more.  Not like the state depends on that or anything.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: July 08, 2010, 01:02:55 pm »

We're all going to die like we always have been for the past several thousand years! Sure, every single world ending event that was predicted have all failed to happen and all the ones now have factors that raise serious doubts, but we are still all going to die!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: July 08, 2010, 02:51:22 pm »

And it seems they try to keep journalist out. http://www.csindy.com/colorado/lowdown/Content?oid=1761206
Ah, media blackout. 

Where are my comrades?!  Squire! Get my tinfoil hat!  Summon the loonies!  We must go do battle!  Tell my imaginary nuclear family that I love them.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

LordMelvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: July 08, 2010, 08:59:47 pm »

as a resident of tourist-friendly, oil-rig-less New England, I say, OMFGWTFFBBFQWe'realldoomed! AAAAAH! Stay away from the gulf coast!

And if you happen to be vacationing this summer, don't forget to try the lovely lakes of New Hampshire, the charming seacoast of Cape Cod, or the beautiful hills of southern Vermont. There's this one really great diner on route seven just north of where it crosses route nine, which serves the most delicious breakfasts...
This space unintentionally left blank.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: July 08, 2010, 09:07:12 pm »

No oil spills here in Ohio. Just the occasional !!rivers!!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: July 08, 2010, 09:46:35 pm »

Oil spill Oil schmill.

It might be the End of the World (As We Know It (and I feel fine)).

I caught part of the Rachel Maddow show a couple weeks ago.  She was putting up little oil patches on a map of the US to show where oil spills had occurred in the last decade.  The later guests commented that it looked like the weather reports from some horrible Road Warrior future (their words).

As much as I'd love to live in crazy dystopia action-movie world, watching the relative normalcy of the 20th century sink under a cloud of oily methane is a pretty bummer way to watch it happen.

Theres a bit too much 'Oh Halp! The sky is falling!!!!!!!11!!!1!11!1' in that article to be really believeable. When it hits mainstream news, maybe I'll believe it.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 79