Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Stupidest / Most Dangerous Thing You Did In Your School Years  (Read 6938 times)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Stupidest / Most Dangerous Thing You Did In Your School Years
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2010, 12:55:27 am »

Mach 1, here I come!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2010, 01:12:29 am »

(they leave nasty wounds, just not ones that incapacitate someone fast enough to make a difference)

Because slashing a tendon or stabbing someone in the eye does nothing?

I don't know, dude.  Yeah, bats are bats, but if you manage to dodge the initial swing and get in close with your knives I'd say your opponent is pretty damned screwed.  These are kids, not trained soldiers.  I'm kind of doubting that any one of them could easily take a stab wound and keep going.
I'd bet on the long, heavy, blunt object over any knife you can legally carry around. (Hell, I'd probably take a bat over a machete, and a large axe over that. Or a sledgehammer, though that's getting to the point of "too heavy to be of practical use".) Especially when it's one guy with a knife (or is he planning on holding one in each hand, removing any grappling ability with his off hand for essentially no gain?) against several people with bats. Who will probably beat him harder for threatening them with a knife. And if he actually manages to hurt one of them, I doubt he's getting back up.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2010, 01:20:20 am »

I've got one of those spots as well. I had a pencil in my shoe and I stabbed myself with it, what, six years ago?
These. Things. Suck.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2010, 01:21:48 am »

Can you check in a BB pistol? it will at least ward people off, and looks menacing if it doesn't have an orange tip
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2010, 01:24:17 am »

Learn how to throw your knives. Preferably through non-vital organs.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2010, 02:35:44 am »

Stupidest: Get wasted and stoned at the uni one weekend.

Most Dangerous: Race a girl. In Cars. As the lanes merge.
Although not as badass as being the main hero from kickass (sonerohi) or anything the Aquizzar could do, still pretty fucking dangerous as the lanes begin to form one, and your side to side with another car going 75 around a turn.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2010, 02:50:02 am »

I'd bet on the long, heavy, blunt object over any knife you can legally carry around.

Right.  I forgot about the serious length limitations (what is it?  3 inches?), and was thinking kitchen knife length at the very least.  You know.  A foot long, maybe.

If we're working with three inches and a guy who doesn't know how to use knives, though, then yeah... I'm betting on the bats.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2010, 03:52:54 am »

Damn, I missed the blade length limitation. I was going to suggest he interprets knife as sword. Sure, the guys with bats would win by numbers, but who would want to go first against a friggin' sword?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2010, 04:33:35 am »

Not a sword, a really large, oversized knife.  ;)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2010, 09:25:30 am »

When I was 12 or so, I was helping a friend rebuild a tree fort. Rather than be intelligent and pry the old boards off with a hammer and crowbar, we decided it would be more fun to run down the hill at them, using an old metal clothesline pole as a battering ram. He took the front end, I took the back end, and down we went.

About two seconds before impact, it suddenly occurred to me that holding the sharp square metal end right in front of me was probably not the best option. I tried yanking it over to the side of me, but only got it over about four inches before we hit at full running speed. I literally went off the ground and was hanging impaled on this thing for a few seconds, then fell off and went rolling another 40 feet down the side of the hill.

My friend ran down and asked the obvious-yet-stupid question, "Are you okay?" I couldn't actually answer, because I couldn't breathe.

Long story short, when I got home I found that I had a very precise square cut into my chest over the lower right side of my rib-cage. You could faintly see the ribs through the cut. My grandfather started to take me to the hospital, but then thought to ask how it happened. I told him, he paused, and said, "Nah, you'll be fine. Here." And proceeded to pour rubbing alcohol into the wound, painted it with mercurochrome, slapped a thick patch of gauze on it, and sent me on my way. I still have a fairly prominent scar.

Stupid *and* dangerous, and totally unintentional.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2010, 09:42:03 am »

I had (and still have) a bad habit of working on lamps in our local store, without taking the power off, because that often involves taking off metal plates from the back wall which have lamps hanging all over them. To make a long story short, I know how it feels to get electrocuted and have also discovered that I've got a fairly high electrical resistance.

Then there's the time I was roller skating and decided to use the window of a nearby building to come to a stop. Still have a huge scar of that on my arm.

I'm not as bad as some of my mates from the Uni. They've been doing experiments for a quiz to interest high school students in chemistry. Amongst others, this included making nitrogen triiodide (which explodes in a pretty purple haze when you handle it rough. Rough in this case includes touching it with a feather), making and lighting gun cotton (used as a propellant for bullets and missiles...) and lighting a can full of methane gas from the bottom side. They've also made and lit thermite, though that was outside with a big bucket of sand besides it so I think it doesn't realy count. For the record, most of this was done with no or minimal supervision...

Not stupid or anything, but I've also made nitrotoluene, which is made from the same ingredients as TNT, just at a different temperature. Wonder if they'd let me do the experiment on a higher temperature ;)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2010, 10:06:29 am »

Heh, that reminds me of that time I was repairing my computer's power unit while it was running. Long story short, getting shocked is hilarious.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2010, 10:20:10 am »

Damn, you guys are awesome.
Sonerohi, you have balls.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2010, 10:31:11 am »

My high school economics teacher was the coolest guy ever.  He and his friends once added a rack of model rockets to the bottom of a car, hooked up the launcher to the space between the front seats, and drove down a highway and launched the rockets at a target.

It worked.

They totally could've filled the rockets with explosives and made a James Bond car.
Shoes...

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2010, 01:00:55 pm »

In college we had the electric cord to a vacuum cleaner.  We took aligator clips to hook it up to electrical components like broken sound cards and such.  Then we plugged the cord in.  Of course we were smart enough to do it outside since we knew the germanium smoke from the circuits is hazardous to your health.  We also learned the hard way that the bit of quartz in a computer's clock is shrapnel.

We also were launching model rockets and took one of the rock engines, taped a straw to it.  It did pinwheels straight up and then dived right at one guy.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8