Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21

Author Topic: The Humble Indie Bundle  (Read 17076 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: The Humble Indie Bundle
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2010, 01:01:56 am »

Pssssh. If you've heard World of Goo was crap, you've been listening to the wrong people.

World of Goo is the least appealing building-with-nodes-and-vertices game I've played, out of a whole lot of 'em.  I don't go for action in that genre, I go for thinky-ness.  I usually love the "build a bridge for the train to cross the bridge" things...or even the crazy ones where you are building a moving object.  Just as long as it doesn't move while you're still building it!  Argh!

So, it's an acquired taste.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2010, 09:07:52 am »

RE: Sowelu
Still, its very much not crap - its a good, very polished game (who's only real flaw is that there is no option to retry a level on the congratulations screening, meaning you need to rewatch cut scenes if your screwed up your OCD). It may not appeal to everyone's taste, but it is certainly not a bad game.

Other Comments
Lugaru is cool, mechanically, but god it is painful to look at for some reason. It really needs a lot of polishing, and the camera seems a bit... enthusiastic. It doesn't help that the graphics themselves are pretty terrible.

Gish is alright. menu screen is blah, gameplay has some very fun moments once you get the hang of it, but I ended up finding it kind of boring.

Haven't played the others yet.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2010, 10:15:59 am »

Lugaru is pretty cool, even though the story and graphics are kinda bland, the gameplay is kinda interesting. I keep playing mostly defensively, and reversing all of the opponent's attacks. I had this sudden stroke of luck when it was me versus three guys, I reversed a guy with a staff, grabbed it, insta-killed the former staff-wielder, then proceeding to kill the other two in about six seconds.

Gish is kinda fun, though timing jumps is a pain.

I haven't played much of World of Goo but it seems neat.

You should already know my opinion about Aquaria at this point, but in case you missed it: Best indie game ever in my opinion.

The others I haven't really tried yet.

Edit: Oh god, Penumbra. Play it as suggested, with lights off and the door close, no source of illumination except the computer screen. You will freak out.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 11:03:06 am by Myroc »
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2010, 11:57:07 am »

Edit: Oh god, Penumbra. Play it as suggested, with lights off and the door close, no source of illumination except the computer screen. You will freak out.

No kidding bro. I couldn't stop shaking for a couple hours  :-[
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2010, 11:59:40 am »

World of Goo is really great but I already played it before.
Gish was one of the main reasons why I bought the package, but the fact that you only have a certain amount of lifes for the whole game is kind of a game flaw in my oppinion.
Have not got to play Penumbra yet (because I want it to be dark as suggested in the beginning) but it looks nice.
Aquaria, well I'm not sure what Myroc loves about it that much but I had not that much fun playing it till now. Cooking food is not something that I'm interested in games and the animations could be nicer. Also when you use a controller the character immediately stops moving if you let go the control stick which looks wrong (does not happen when using the mouse so I suppose it's a bug). The gamepad compatibility of the game is really bad.
I never cared much about Lugaru before but I have to say that I played it most till now (already finished the campaign). The combat system is really interesting but wolves are pretty hard to beat when not using slowmotion (in debug mode).

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2010, 12:13:10 pm »

Funny story actually, I had never got a hit in with the sword, but then on final boss I crouch jumped, flipped, landed behind him and stabbed him through the back.

I may make a mod now that the source code is out.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2010, 12:35:17 pm »

As a note to anyone thinking of downloading it, would it be appropriate to ask if you could donate an extra cent or something and pass me the download link? I don't really have the means to pay for it here.

Edit: I love you Volatar!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 01:45:40 pm by dogstile »
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2010, 12:54:22 pm »

Shouldn't we use a percentage of the proceeds to send our indie-lawyers after them? Perhaps trace their IP addresses?
No -- we will just focus on making cool games, having great customer service, and hope for the best. It sure seems to be working right now!

*words*

Making the download experience worse for generous contributors in the name of punishing pirates doesn't really fit with the spirit of the bundle. When considering any kind of DRM, we have to ask ourselves, "How many legitimate users is it ok to inconvenience in order to reduce piracy?" The answer should be none.
Now this is how Devs should respond to piracy! I really wish bigger companies thought like this.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2010, 01:02:56 pm »

Shouldn't we use a percentage of the proceeds to send our indie-lawyers after them? Perhaps trace their IP addresses?
No -- we will just focus on making cool games, having great customer service, and hope for the best. It sure seems to be working right now!

*words*

Making the download experience worse for generous contributors in the name of punishing pirates doesn't really fit with the spirit of the bundle. When considering any kind of DRM, we have to ask ourselves, "How many legitimate users is it ok to inconvenience in order to reduce piracy?" The answer should be none.
Now this is how Devs should respond to piracy! I really wish bigger companies thought like this.
Yeah. The sad reality is that money goes before a satisfied customer.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2010, 01:39:21 pm »

As a note to anyone thinking of downloading it, would it be appropriate to ask if you could donate an extra cent or something and pass me the download link? I don't really have the means to pay for it here.

Done. Check your PM's.

If anyone else can't pay and wants a copy, please ask.

If you can pay though, please do so. These are cool guys doing what they love, and they deserve to be paid for it. :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 01:41:13 pm by Volatar »
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2010, 01:54:34 pm »

Did anyone see me in the #10 spot for a little while?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2010, 02:13:34 pm »

No kidding bro. I couldn't stop shaking for a couple hours  :-[

I have a friend that had hearth attack playing Penumbra ... I am scared even to install it.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2010, 03:09:59 pm »

I have a friend that had hearth attack playing Penumbra ... I am scared even to install it.

If you have a heart problem I wouldn't recommend it. This is scarier than any movie/game you will ever experience. Second one is even scarier because you have no weapons. Best played with a group of friends, so that everyone freaks out whenever something chases you down.

I like the wolffire articles because they really explain how pirating is a problem, but not THAT big of a problem. Also coolness about the buying trends of different OS groups.

As for the games, I've played both WOG and Penumbra before. Not a huge WOG fan, but I love penumbra. I've played lugaru a little bit and it's interesting, but doesn't feel like its a full game; it could be much better with the detailed mods were sure to get now. I expect a lot from Aquaria; I wanted to play it, but it was expensivish and I would have had to boot into windows before.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2010, 03:14:34 pm »

I like the wolffire articles because they really explain how pirating is a problem, but not THAT big of a problem. Also coolness about the buying trends of different OS groups.
Yeah, it's weird that the Linux users have paid more on average, though their OS is free. It makes sense if you think about it, but it's still unexpected.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2010, 03:23:02 pm »

Sadly, I don't like any of those games and I was all done with world of goo...

But it's nice to see more indie devs taking that stance. If I ever release any of the games and code I've made, I'd do something like that.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21