Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should the leader of the Automatons be made of?

Platinum
Diamond
Platinum bones and Diamond tissue

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Automaton Fortress (2.0)  (Read 26803 times)

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Automaton Fortress (1.1)
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2010, 07:32:27 pm »

How about a combination of both diamond and platinum? Diamond tissue with platinum bones?

This is good stuff. I like this idea.

Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2010, 02:01:25 pm »

It's the weekend so I will update soon once the poll gets a few more votes.

Headache

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2010, 08:16:59 pm »

The idea of an automata race reminds me of the game Morrowind. When you visit dwarven ruins, you find a bunch of clunky metal robots and robot spiders running around guarding the place, made and left there by the dwarven race before their disappearance.

Using that as inspiration, I think it would be really cool if your automata race could be adapted to a mod where, rather than the automata having their own civilization, they are dwarf-constructed creatures that are treated as smart pets, which run around doing either hauling jobs or sentry duty for their dwarven masters.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2010, 08:51:06 pm »

I could do that, but it can't be pets, as they wouldn't work. Maybe a caste? I will devote my modding time to Automaton Fortress first.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2010, 05:44:18 am »

You can make hauling animals?
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2010, 09:07:02 am »

Sort of: "Friendship" Enhancer I could either get permission to combine this mod with that mod, or I could just make it a caste.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2010, 02:01:12 pm »

too lazy to check about this, but oil poisoning should cause pain and vomiting and insanity (not possible currently so just make the afflicted's organs all impared"

prolonged contact with oil can cause blisters and numbness on the affected area. (maybe even swelling)

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2010, 02:02:34 pm »

Ah, a suggestion for the oil poison. I was just thinking about it. I will work on it now.

EDIT: I can't think of a quick and easy way to test this, as I am limited on time. Once it is released, I ask of you to test it on a creature that is of the class general poison. Any plant will suffice.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 02:25:16 pm by Daywalkah »

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Automaton Fortress (2.0)
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2010, 03:02:09 pm »

Automaton Fortress 2.0 has been completed. Fuel needs to be tested extensively by the users for poisonous effects, as I don't have the time to do it myself. There is a new caste, the diamond automaton. So far, it seem I was wrong about my suspicion of being able to designate a specific caste leader. Please suggest more ideas, and I will get to them when I can.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2010, 06:12:09 pm »

So how come you changed your username?

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2010, 07:23:03 pm »

Dragon1423 was just a quick user that was never meant to be long term, only just a month or two of activity over the summer after I was too tired to continue riding my bike. Toady One's greatness in developing Dwarf Fortress has drawn me to continue playing the game, therefore modding it and using the forums. Besides, I was just using my PS3 username, which was created when I was younger and less creative (not saying that 'Daywalkah' is, I just like it better).

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2010, 09:54:08 pm »

It is summer now and I have a lot of time on my hands. Please suggest new ideas for our robotic friends. I will start thinking about new ideas to implement oil and charcoal for food, since all previous ideas failed. The person who suggested 'Automaton animals', please elaborate. I have no idea what you mean.

Osdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2010, 01:47:16 pm »

It is summer now and I have a lot of time on my hands. Please suggest new ideas for our robotic friends. I will start thinking about new ideas to implement oil and charcoal for food, since all previous ideas failed. The person who suggested 'Automaton animals', please elaborate. I have no idea what you mean.

Thinking onward from the person mentioning morrowind, and combining it with pets, some sort of metallic spider of sorts that can scurry around as a pet perhaps, and other animals with the same sort of idea, Steam powered cows that can be milked for crude oil that can be brewed into drink anyone? :P

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2010, 01:56:01 pm »

That is a good idea, though I'm not sure if I ever got the steam secretions to work. I'm sure I have, I just haven't messed with Automatons in a while.

Unfortunately in my last post in this thread, I forgot I'm going on vacation for a while starting Saturday. I am terribly sorry for that. If a skilled modder would like to start on these ideas and post the raws in the thread, I will give you all credit and package it with everything else when I get back.

goge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2010, 08:49:50 am »

I think even if it isn't active we should continue to brainstorm as you guys did before Daywalkah started on the raws.  The previous brainstorming seems to have fleshed out the mod a lot and made things easier for Daywalkah and so continuing the brainstorming will help him in the future or any modder who decides to add to it as well :)

Pets:
So for Automaton pets.  I like the idea of having the fortress filled with little cleaning rovers like the ones in starwars films.  Like pet roombahs that are self replicating.  They could kill rodents and fill the halls replacing the function of cats!  Maybe they can be "butchered" for parts and can be one of the sources of Automaton food?

Castes
I know the castes are pretty much fleshed out but I was hopping for more variety in body shape as well.  If these Automata and are built for different functions they should also have different forms.  I'm not sure how hard it would be but I was thinking of things like:
1 caste has 4 arms, maybe the dimmer Copper Caste who is usually religated to more of the menial labour.
1 caste has 2 heads, one of the intelligent castes?  I'm not even sure if this is possible.
1 caste has Jet Packs/Steam hover feet.  I dunno how buggy flying Civs are but I think this would be really cool.

Those are my ideas
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 09:03:47 am by goge »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9