Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Has anyone actually withstood hell yet?  (Read 10746 times)

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone actually withstood hell yet?
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2010, 11:42:48 am »

Aw crud. I was hoping to seal the pits with a floor, but if you have to leave the lowest z-level completely open then that's as much ground space for demons to roam as a sealing the hell from top would...
Still leaves two questions, though.  Do demons spawn from glowing pits?  The initial horde just sort of appears, but thereafter, they may just wander in from edges.  Haven't watched them closely enough.  If they do pit spawn, do demons spawn in the first or seond Z-level of pits?  If the latter, you're good to go.
Try sealing pits first, if anything shows up underneath your sealing, you know the demonic dominion over your FPS is unbreakable.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

dood_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2010, 12:11:06 pm »

As an adventurer, with an adamantine battle axe, sword ( no real reason, just like swords) and shield, legendary skills in using them, and multiple times over legendary wrestler, dodger and fighter, I went back to one of my old forts, just to jump into hell. Although the fall broke both my legs and I got heavy bruising all over, I survived. The heavy bleeding soon stopped, and the pain soon after. Mind, my movement speed went from 1905 to 1010 due to broken toes (Probably). After killing the initial steam demons, serpent demons (with SHELLS) and snakefly brutes, I decided to explore a bit. I never saw any demons spawn from the pits. They did come from the edges though, or they just seemed to be standing around twiddling their giant evil thumbs waiting for me. Well, the blind demons (giant one eyed bees) did that anyway.

I eventually died from blood loss mind. So yeah, you probably could wall off the edges (about 5 z levels high) and claim your own place in hell.

P.S. has anyone found a way to mine Slade yet? maybe legendary miners with adamintine picks?
It seems very dwarven to use the hell itself as a garbage disposal. I can just see this isolated pile of goblin clothing, rotten food, and chunks of animals sitting there in a featureless plain, slowly cooking in the heat as demons pick at it.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2010, 12:14:52 pm »

P.S. has anyone found a way to mine Slade yet? maybe legendary miners with adamintine picks?
Slade is a barrier, just like Semi-Molten Rock. It cannot be mined.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

dood_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2010, 12:20:40 pm »

Aw  :( Bit of a disappointment that. Makes sense I guess though.
It seems very dwarven to use the hell itself as a garbage disposal. I can just see this isolated pile of goblin clothing, rotten food, and chunks of animals sitting there in a featureless plain, slowly cooking in the heat as demons pick at it.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2010, 01:08:50 pm »

Why is no one talking traps? Not the "Build Trap" menu traps, but *real* ones- I can't play until there's a mac release, but *someone* needs to try a cave-in gun. It's perfectly doable in theory (Link to two proposed designs below, see "Dwarven Hail" and "The Shot Tower" under "Offensive Traps".

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=54532.msg1171540#msg1171540
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2010, 01:19:00 pm »

Somebody said if you modded that 500000-y value by as little as a digit that it could be mined.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2010, 01:56:33 pm »

Somebody said if you modded that 500000-y value by as little as a digit that it could be mined.
That'd be me, but the dwarves refused to do anything with it even when I changed all moddale stats to those of Microcline.  I think it's hard coded that anything used as the floor in Hell cannot be used for anything else, although genning a world with useable stone from the start in Hell might change this.  Self-promotion: I'll be testing this and other things once I'm done with finals.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2010, 02:06:26 pm »

Well, semi-revelant to the thread, I survived over a month with hell open.

Sure, it was a pretty epic struggle. Sure, I wasted an entire region worth of adamantine. But I did it for SCIENCE. Also, I got 51 confirmed kills.
I changed my custom title to accustom the fact that I'm boasting about it.

And before somebody points out that I reported different numbers in one thread - I redid it. It was Fun.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2010, 02:31:08 pm »

Wouldn't self-repeatable water freezing trap work against demons? At least if you have no water-boiling ones?

The idea is:
Embark in a freezing climate. Have a long corridor filled with water for demons to path through. It must be "outside" so water can freeze. Below the corridor have a magma cistern with a retractable brigde on the bottom. Wait for the demons to come, open the bridge, drop the magma, have the water freeze together with the demons. Then close the bridge, pump the magma back so the ice melts. And repeating mechanism. Have fun!
Am I missing something?
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2010, 02:33:07 pm »

Wouldn't self-repeatable water freezing trap work against demons? At least if you have no water-boiling ones?

The idea is:
Embark in a freezing climate. Have a long corridor filled with water for demons to path through. It must be "outside" so water can freeze. Below the corridor have a magma cistern with a retractable brigde on the bottom. Wait for the demons to come, open the bridge, drop the magma, have the water freeze together with the demons. Then close the bridge, pump the magma back so the ice melts. And repeating mechanism. Have fun!
Am I missing something?
Bridge-destroying creatures.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2010, 02:34:46 pm »

The idea is:
Am I missing something?

No, the demon's never get to the bridge- you have water/demons, floor, magma, bridge, in descending order.

I like the idea... mind if I add it to the Art of War (link above), and if so, do you want to name it?
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2010, 02:35:45 pm »

The bridge is on the bottom of magma cistern for the purpose of dropping magma fast. Demons have no access to your magma cistern nor to the bridge, they go through corridor above that cistern, separated with floors from it.

I like the idea... mind if I add it to the Art of War (link above), and if so, do you want to name it?

Well it isn't my idea actually.

Water freezing trap was first constructed here: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-231-degrinchinator
Automatic ice melting version is here: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1675-semi-automaticorcsiclemaker

They are both mentioned in 40d trap desing wiki article:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Trap_design (look at the end)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 02:42:07 pm by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2010, 03:16:45 pm »

"Urist! this is your Mayor speaking! we need more computing power!"

"We've suffered a Hell breach! the FPS can't take much more'a this cap'n"

"Hide all automatable Items from the overview!"

"I cannae Break the Laws of Dwarven Physics! I'm a mechanic not a miracle worker!"
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 09:39:45 pm by lanceleoghauni »
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2010, 06:49:44 pm »

Can the demons walk off the map once they reach the surface? That could be amusing.

And now I come to think of it, shouldn't opening a portal to Hell be a siege trigger if you somehow survive that long? You'd think your neighbours would be a bit upset about that sort of thing.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2010, 06:53:11 pm »

If it were me and my neighbor opened hell, I think I'd fortify the walls and close myself underground for eternity... I wouldn't want to waste my troops on someone who's already dead.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6