Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Has anyone actually withstood hell yet?  (Read 10732 times)

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone actually withstood hell yet?
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2010, 04:51:42 am »

What if you floored over all the pits, and walled up the very edges of the map? Then no demon reinforcements could arrive, unless they just poof into existence.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2010, 05:16:43 am »

Okay gentlemen, I think this is the perfect moment to finally start that supercomputer fund. From what I remember, the price is roughly 500 dollars per hour. Anyone?

Problem with super computers is that they almost ALWAYS use multiple processes, and therefor DF wont run any faster with it.

If we wanted to make DF run FREAKISHLY fast we would have to break into assembly code and mod the hard coded files to be machine specific, define the fetch cycle ourselves and refer to exact registers. Using this method and a super computer, it might be possible to have a 200z level deep, 16 by 16 embark and 100 fps, at a 200 population.

ThiefofTime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2010, 06:07:34 am »

What happens if you set 'number of demon species' to zero in worldgen? What happens if you breach hell then?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2010, 06:08:15 am »

A careful mix of nothing and less.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2010, 06:43:24 am »

What if we designed a dwarven robot to attack HFS... What if we went a few steps above the bronze colossus... and unveiled the Adamantine colossus? Made of pure clownium, since the traditional dwarven WMDs have no effect sans the cave-in bomb, and the obsidian creation device.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2010, 06:46:25 am »

What if we designed a dwarven robot to attack HFS... What if we went a few steps above the bronze colossus... and unveiled the Adamantine colossus? Made of pure clownium, since the traditional dwarven WMDs have no effect sans the cave-in bomb, and the obsidian creation device.

I'm thinking we could upgrade it with a non-vital gas as a layer below its skin that causes syndromes in demons. This way when they attack it, the skin ruptures and releases the gas, causing problems for all demons around it, without harming the AC.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2010, 07:47:26 am »

What happens if you set 'number of demon species' to zero in worldgen? What happens if you breach hell then?

You could theoretically have no demons whatsoever. And it can be a 0...

I may test this.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Ruttiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://https://server2.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/s/p1/
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2010, 08:06:36 am »

I'm curious about those numbers.

He's making a lot of assumptions when coming up with them.  They might be infinite for all we know, or the program might just hide their numbers.

For all we know killing a gross of demons might leave them extinct. 

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2010, 08:27:01 am »

Do demons spawn out of thin air or do they come from the edges of the maps and the pits?

Why does walling them in result in FPS death?

What's the deal with dwarven food?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2010, 09:03:55 am »

I'm curious about those numbers.

He's making a lot of assumptions when coming up with them.  They might be infinite for all we know, or the program might just hide their numbers.

For all we know killing a gross of demons might leave them extinct.

Urist McKenobi: "Demons always fly single file, to hide their numbers."
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2010, 09:05:33 am »

The obvious answer is finding a way to fill the void with obsidian in a safe and structured manner as to encase (kill?) the demons and expand your influence (if they do in fact come from the edge of the map... if they spawn at random, you're screwed.)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2010, 09:30:15 am »

What if you floored over all the pits, and walled up the very edges of the map? Then no demon reinforcements could arrive, unless they just poof into existence.
This.  It would, of course, be the supreme mother of all megaprojects.  But I see no reason it cannot be done, and it would prevent FPS death.
So basically, kill every demon that arrives until you've walled off all of hell.  I would not use the word "easy," but I'll try it with the Slade Colossi I've been using for proofs of concept.  I've got a world with no immortal demons to do so.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2010, 09:42:01 am »

This.  It would, of course, be the supreme mother of all megaprojects.  But I see no reason it cannot be done, and it would prevent FPS death.
So basically, kill every demon that arrives until you've walled off all of hell.  I would not use the word "easy," but I'll try it with the Slade Colossi I've been using for proofs of concept.  I've got a world with no immortal demons to do so.
No immortal demons?
Give us your world, do it for SCIENCE.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2010, 10:00:34 am »

No immortal demons?
Give us your world, do it for SCIENCE.

Upon examination, I should clarify that quote.  I genned a world with no demons that are immortal if you are playing as colossi made of a custom-designed, literally indestructible, thermodynamics immune, amalgamation of the best qualities of slade and adamantine.
Also, a few other notes: I embarked in evil lands.  This had an interesting side-effect.  Undead demons.  And you can't actually build on the lowest tiles of an Eerie Glowing Pit; if you seal it off, you'll have to leave the bottom Z-layer be.  This could be a pain...
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2010, 11:38:23 am »

Aw crud. I was hoping to seal the pits with a floor, but if you have to leave the lowest z-level completely open then that's as much ground space for demons to roam as a sealing the hell from top would.

A second idea to keep hell demon-free would include stairs and either water or magma. Knowing that the demons would path straight for the dwarves, would a straight up/down staircase with a constant stream of water be enough to push them down into the pit?

Related, does the magma ocean refill itself or can it be lost forever?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6