Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Fortresses: Inspiring Ideas  (Read 4530 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Fortresses: Inspiring Ideas
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 12:17:02 am »

I thought the mermaid thing had turned into whales...

Ghavrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 03:45:46 am »

I thought the mermaid thing had turned into whales...

Whales don't scream when you drop them into boiling water.

Wait, what's this about lobsters?

Urist McChef cancels Cook Lavish Meal: Inadvertent Genocide
Ramps in DF are these sort of hyperdimensional monstrosities capable of allowing you to walk upwards in whatever direction seems plausible at the time

Arkbrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2010, 04:55:30 am »

I'm building Moria right now, and my next fortress will be Nethack. Should be cool to explore with an adventurer.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2010, 05:49:54 am »

I'm building Moria right now, and my next fortress will be Nethack. Should be cool to explore with an adventurer.

Nethack dungeon would be a nightmare for the poor dwarves who need to live in it, lol. Winding corridors everywhere and random placement of rooms and stairs.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2010, 08:52:29 am »

...Perhaps a fortress in a snow covered wasteland with no fresh water... a glaciated embark.... a fortress where as many structures as possible are built out of the lovely ice, with a lovely ice maze to trap hapless migrants and caravans and invaders for the locals to pick off at their leisure...
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2010, 08:56:55 am »

...Perhaps a fortress in a snow covered wasteland with no fresh water... a glaciated embark.... a fortress where as many structures as possible are built out of the lovely ice, with a lovely ice maze to trap hapless migrants and caravans and invaders for the locals to pick off at their leisure...
The problem being it'd be no different that a stone fort, except icy. >_>

Pheonix

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Eagle + Exploding Booze = Phoenix
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2010, 11:27:59 am »

-Oh, and while I'm on the topic of final fantasy, how about the tower of Zot from FFIV? For bonus points...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Don't forget it has to breach the surface and tower torwards the heavens  :o

You mean the Tower of Babil. The tower of Zot was... Nobody actually knows where it was. Presumably floating in the upper atmosphere.

Fix'd. I suppose I got those two mixed up because they were mostly similar IMO.

About the oil rig fortress, how about if you create a structure hanging over the water with a pillar mold at the end? Would it be possible to create obsidian one-layer squares in this mold, pull the lever, drop the obsidian square, and rinse and repeat?
I would think that the dropped obsidian would keep it's structural integrity, and would stack perfectly, thereby making your pillar.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 11:48:12 am by Pheonix »
“PHOENIX, n. The classical prototype of the modern "small hot bird."

BitLooter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2010, 01:53:43 pm »

About the oil rig fortress, how about if you create a structure hanging over the water with a pillar mold at the end? Would it be possible to create obsidian one-layer squares in this mold, pull the lever, drop the obsidian square, and rinse and repeat?
I would think that the dropped obsidian would keep it's structural integrity, and would stack perfectly, thereby making your pillar.
That's what I'm going to try doing, right after my current fort. Build up my underwater stuff one layer at a time.

My plans for catching mermaids involves building a giant suction trap in the water, but until I figure out how to build large stone structures under the sea I won't know if it works. If I can get it up and running, I imagine it would work on whales as well. Before I do all that, I'm going to build a huge platform over the sea so I don't have to worry about sieges and whatnot. Sure, I could just turn them off, but what fun would that be?
Well really, if you can't be an insane Dwarven dictator hellbent on genociding Mermaids for their precious bones in a video game, where CAN you?

Pheonix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2010, 03:43:56 pm »

That's what I'm going to try doing, right after my current fort. Build up my underwater stuff one layer at a time.

My plans for catching mermaids involves building a giant suction trap in the water, but until I figure out how to build large stone structures under the sea I won't know if it works. If I can get it up and running, I imagine it would work on whales as well. Before I do all that, I'm going to build a huge platform over the sea so I don't have to worry about sieges and whatnot. Sure, I could just turn them off, but what fun would that be?

You could always build a large mold and dig the result into the shape you desire prior to dropping it. That way you can make it look something other than a large cube on the ocean floor, such as a dome ;).

Now to find a way to create underwater glass domes... (I like the idea of creating Atlantis, if only to capture a mermaid, name her Ariel, and drop her into a room with a tentacle demon...)

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2010, 04:00:49 pm »

I'm mining out a 30x30x15 flattened sphere underground, built around a central spiral staircase.  Once there's enough excavated I'll start separating areas by layer(emergency switch at the top, noble housing, military, housing, housing, stockpiles, magma shops, stockpiles, stonework...)  Hopefully I intend to have a waterfall down the center someday generating mist for the masses.  Right now I have one of the four spirals occupied by water, just to keep out a forgotten beast(and drive my Red Wheel Of Death goblin-cap waterwheel).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 04:04:48 pm by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Warmduscher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2010, 04:39:42 pm »

You know, I got that inspiration that if dwarves are very class-concious and always follow strict professions and structures, I kinda should build the fortress like that. the first underground level will be built in earth or sand; this is the wood level. All furniture there will be made out of wood and only wood and other organic materials will be processed there. This is the center of food production and the early sleeping rooms. Even the chairs and tables of the dining room will be made out of wood and there are no coffins; only a graveyard. But it will also be the production center for clothes and leather; this will too be where refuse gets worked into totems and delicious booze will get brewed. It may sound like the least valuable part, but as every wood-Dwarf knows you can't survive without the wood level.

Digging deeper we will reach the stone level. There of course will be everything made out of stone. The Masons, the stone crafters, coal and gem workshops and proper stone dining rooms and throne rooms for minor dignitaries. Unfortunately there is still need for bedrooms for the stone-level dwarves, so their rooms will include stairways up into the wood level, but with no connection to the wood part of the fortress to provide them with a proper sleeping place. All this may not sound worth much, but the stone level provides very valuable support for the levels above and below. The sone crafts are a steady easy source of income for trading for food and weapons and jewelries improve the worth of every level. Not to mention the engravers recording the history in the very fortress. Every stone-Dwarf knows that this level distinguishes the fortress from a simple Elf village.

Even deeper we encounter the iron level, the only acceptable building resource of course being iron. Here we have the smelters and workshops to produce iron, steel, copper, bronze, silver, lead and all the other non-precious metals we need to properly outfit the fortress guard and to provide high-value dining and throne rooms for dignitaries. Here too will the stone crafts be studded with metal to improve trading value even further. This level may look like the most ugly, with strip mining sprawling downwards below the few pretty metal-furniture rooms, but the metal-Dwarves know that they alone stand between Dwarven prosperity and utter destruction at the hand of Goblins, Elves and worse evils.

Somewhere will be too a gold level. Just a few workshops and rooms shining with unmeasurable wealth from gold, platinium and aluminium that the iron-Dwarves find in their digging. The gold-Dwarves don't care what others think. They know that they alone can provide enough wealth to satisfy even the most valued dignitaries and if they bother to send a few trinkets to the trade post, they will be able to buy whole caravans.

Finally there are rumors about the famed adamantium level. Only one or two workshops working on the mystical ore and always the adamantium guard who keeps watch to protect from ancient evils. Should they fall, everything is lost.

BitLooter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2010, 07:37:42 pm »

You could always build a large mold and dig the result into the shape you desire prior to dropping it. That way you can make it look something other than a large cube on the ocean floor, such as a dome ;).

That's true, but my previous experiments with building ocean platform forts indicates it'll take a hell of a long time to get everything put together, especially because I plan to build it out of blocks (Why? because I can). Casting an entire structure means building a much larger mold, which would add significant time to completion. This project is already almost at the level of a megaconstruction, I'm afraid if I keep tacking things onto it I won't finish until v0.4 is done.

Besides, these dwarfs are hardcore. We're here to kill mermaids, throw magma around, and shoot ballistas at goblins from our big-ass sea fortress. We don't need frilly domes under the water, unless we need a place to keep our elf prisoners before throwing them into the mermaid trap.
Well really, if you can't be an insane Dwarven dictator hellbent on genociding Mermaids for their precious bones in a video game, where CAN you?

Pheonix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2010, 08:32:44 pm »

That's true, but my previous experiments with building ocean platform forts indicates it'll take a hell of a long time to get everything put together, especially because I plan to build it out of blocks (Why? because I can). Casting an entire structure means building a much larger mold, which would add significant time to completion. This project is already almost at the level of a megaconstruction, I'm afraid if I keep tacking things onto it I won't finish until v0.4 is done.

Besides, these dwarfs are hardcore. We're here to kill mermaids, throw magma around, and shoot ballistas at goblins from our big-ass sea fortress. We don't need frilly domes under the water, unless we need a place to keep our elf prisoners before throwing them into the mermaid trap.

A one size fits all mold would be easier to use IMO. You can take the resultant rectangle of obsidian and shape each layer individually, rather than reconstruct the mold in between layer drops. You are right about larger obsidian tanks being a hassle, but that is more of a design issue.

And solid obsidian sea domes arent 'frilly'.  >:( 

Here's another prospective source of inspiration:
-The Berlin wall. Effectively you could seperate the map in two with a wall that operates like a military fortress inside it (a gaurd), with two civilian populations on either side of it. Disallow one side from getting any trade goods, and watch that part of your fortress crumble while the others are happy as clams. PROFIT

Sadistic, I know, but dwarvenly.
Pages: 1 2 [3]