Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Fortresses: Inspiring Ideas  (Read 4528 times)

Pheonix

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Eagle + Exploding Booze = Phoenix
    • View Profile
Re: Fortresses: Inspiring Ideas
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 05:30:03 pm »

Oil rig fortress.

Drive giant pillars down to the sea floor, disconnect it from the mainland. Reveal in the marvels of dwarven engineering.

Speaking of oil rigs, are there any plans to actually add oil into the game? I recall playing Clonks and having a lot of fun with oil there.

Actually, Dwarf Fortress talk #8 addressed the question concerning other liquids and pseudo-liquids such as oil and sand, and Toady said that while relatively easy to implement, the trouble lies with interacting liquids of different types, such as oil and water. As it is, the code underlying the reaction between magma and water is enormous, so its a hit or miss as to whether or not oil will be a feature.
If you have the time, listen to the DF talk, IMO its really interesting, albeit a bit long :)

-Oh, and while I'm on the topic of final fantasy, how about the tower of Babil from FFIV? For bonus points...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Don't forget it has to breach the surface and tower torwards the heavens  :o

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 11:02:20 am by Pheonix »
“PHOENIX, n. The classical prototype of the modern "small hot bird."

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 05:37:38 pm »

the atlantis/oil rig idea would be awesome. Take a volcanic island and run lava out to the sea building some sort of obsidian-cast structure to drop into the water = win

It would be nice if flash-freezing molten sand with water had the same effect, but made normal glass :D
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 05:59:31 pm »

A large Aztec- Pyramid with the forts only butchers shop on top. The legendary butcher is the high priest. Meeting Hall at the foot of the temple and a crowd of idlers surrounding it.

I'll make it the focal point of an underground dwarven village.

I assume that your fortress will achieve the same end as the original Aztecs, hmmm?  8)

... Invaded by Spanish conquistadors...?

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 06:12:38 pm »

Windows? Not hard, just time-consuming. The solution is caissons. Drop magma down to form walls, pump out the interior, build the windows, remove the scaffolds...

Hey, with the new building possibilities for stairs, it's much simpler to do caissons in constructions. Sweet. In which case, you do the obsidian first, then, with adequately cooled obsidian (don't want saunakills of your workers), you have an excellent point to build out and down from. When finished, the collapse of a single support can take down the entire cassion for you.

It'll have to do until Toady One adds in cranes that lets you build walls and lower them into position. Which would be totally awesome.

Pheonix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 06:13:14 pm »

A large Aztec- Pyramid with the forts only butchers shop on top. The legendary butcher is the high priest. Meeting Hall at the foot of the temple and a crowd of idlers surrounding it.

I'll make it the focal point of an underground dwarven village.

I assume that your fortress will achieve the same end as the original Aztecs, hmmm?  8)

... Invaded by Spanish conquistadors...?

Or gobbos. Isn't it the same thing? ???

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 06:14:36 pm »

Rather than some grand construction project, how about just aiming for the most beautiful fortress you can possibly build? Every mined-out vein and cluster becomes a sculpture park, every odd-shaped space you can't use for anything else becomes an art gallery or a niche for a statue, every room gets at least one engraving.

If you must embark on a huge and largely pointless construction project, however, why not a scale model of Tomb of Horrors or Temple of Elemental Evil?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Pheonix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 06:21:17 pm »

Rather than some grand construction project, how about just aiming for the most beautiful fortress you can possibly build? Every mined-out vein and cluster becomes a sculpture park, every odd-shaped space you can't use for anything else becomes an art gallery or a niche for a statue, every room gets at least one engraving.

If you must embark on a huge and largely pointless construction project, however, why not a scale model of Tomb of Horrors or Temple of Elemental Evil?

The natural fortress is a good idea too :)
It actually amounts to an easygoing fortress that just happens to be easy on the eyes!

returntonull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 07:32:15 pm »

All my artsy fortresses never have anything go wrong though. I made that huge vaulted ceiling seats 300 dwarves dining hall with three tile wide red block floor leading to the throne room. With giant pillars surrounded by statues and waterfalls flowing down all four sides without a single collapse or catastrophic flooding. And that's just not very dwarvenly.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 07:41:48 pm »

As I have steel coming out of ears in my current fortress oceanside cliff fortress, I'm going to build a giant drydock out of the cliff and over the ocean, and build a submarine out of steel.

A big submarine.  Crew of 16, two floors for cargo, and the top floor packed with ballistas.  Propulsion from pumps powered by a nuclear reactor (really a perpetual-motion generator).
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 07:46:54 pm »

In 40d I had an idea to try find an embark site with a chasm next to the ocean, so I could drain away the sea... then I realised I'd probably drop to less than 1 FPS if I tried, so I gave up on that plan.

I've always wanted to create a kind of 'forbidden valley' like in Shadow of the Colossus (if anyone here's played it) - mine out all around your fortress so you're left with a tower in the centre that's connected to the edge of the map by a single 3-wide bridge. With the new version you could mine down until you uncover the first cavern layer so you have something more interesting than a flat stone floor.

Bonus points if you actually have Colossi and/or other megabeasts roaming around in it! :D

jarganaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2010, 07:54:05 pm »

I'm working on Minas Tirith at the moment, and since I hate myself I've decided to make it out of glass and obsidian.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2010, 10:59:22 pm »

-Oh, and while I'm on the topic of final fantasy, how about the tower of Zot from FFIV? For bonus points...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Don't forget it has to breach the surface and tower torwards the heavens  :o

You mean the Tower of Babil. The tower of Zot was... Nobody actually knows where it was. Presumably floating in the upper atmosphere.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 11:06:47 pm »

A realistic looking city on the beach would be nice. With above ground two story buildings (Shops below and houses above), stone brick roads and wooden docks.

EDIT: Just had a better idea! Remake the town from the Wishbringer game, by infocom. With the white house leading into the Zork dungeon. Now THAT would be awesome!

BitLooter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2010, 11:39:28 pm »

Oil rig fortress.

Drive giant pillars down to the sea floor, disconnect it from the mainland. Reveal in the marvels of dwarven engineering.
Funny you should mention, I'm planning a fortress like this now as part of a mermaid-catching project. I've already tried dropping sheets of magma into the ocean (back in 40d), but it didn't enter the water cleanly and what you got instead was more of a sponge-like structure. Now I'm going to try casting it above the water, then dropping it in; theoretically, I should be able to build it up one layer at a time without needing to cast the entire thing first. Should be especially handy in deep oceans, assuming it works.
Well really, if you can't be an insane Dwarven dictator hellbent on genociding Mermaids for their precious bones in a video game, where CAN you?

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 12:13:58 am »

Oh Armok, that mermaid thing is still alive? I was certain that it had died off by now.

Were you going to cast rings of obsidian and pump the water out, or cast sheets of obsidian and dig it out?
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.
Pages: 1 [2] 3