Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fortresses: Inspiring Ideas  (Read 4537 times)

Pheonix

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Eagle + Exploding Booze = Phoenix
    • View Profile
Fortresses: Inspiring Ideas
« on: April 25, 2010, 02:55:15 pm »

Hey, guys!

A common problem I have when starting a new fortress is the lack of ideas, or inspiration. Supposing that I'm not the only one suffering from this fortress block, I figured I'd start this thread to act as sort of an idea pool.

Some ideas:

-A fortress much like Minas Tirith, made even more possible with the new version
-Familiar architecture, such as the layout of your house for some lucky dwarves (a family?) Stockpiles that draw from its larger counterparts and burrows make family life in a home possible now
-Along these lines, a neighborhood above ground of said houses (bonus for in a LARGE cavern).
-Ice castles (with a lever to unleash a magma flood, tee-hee!)

I'll leave some room for other ideas. Have fun! :D

IDEAS SUBMITTED:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 12:04:59 pm by Pheonix »
“PHOENIX, n. The classical prototype of the modern "small hot bird."

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortresses: Inspiring Ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 03:09:26 pm »

My current fortress is Barad-Dûr, or at least I try to make it that way, and for my next, I'll try to recreate Thangorodrim with Angband beneath it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 03:31:43 pm »

Something like the sky ship here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=36955.0
but bigger, maybe a sky battleship? With ballista and catapults around it. I'd put a magma cannon or two on there too, just to make it exceptionally dwarven.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

soupcan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 03:36:58 pm »

As soon as the new version is merged with the 40d stuff, I plan to make a fortress entirely contained in a cavern. No digging, just construction. Also, I'd love to make a magma-proof metal tower in the caldera of a volcano, but I anticipate that being difficult.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 03:47:52 pm »

if I can get enough water (all I have for water on my map is a single pool) I'm going to start making an obsidian inverted tower into my volcano.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Pheonix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 03:49:24 pm »

Something like the sky ship here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=36955.0
but bigger, maybe a sky battleship? With ballista and catapults around it. I'd put a magma cannon or two on there too, just to make it exceptionally dwarven.

Ooh, ooh! I have a similar one :D...

-A recreation of the Final Fantasy V fire powered airship, sans all the puzzles, and made to look practical. Yes, that airship, the one that held the fire crystal and the beastie queen of Karmak. (BONUS if you find a ruby cluster and place that in the center of the chamber at the heart of the ship :) )

EDIT: Dont forget all the steel mesh catwalks ;)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 03:55:12 pm by Pheonix »

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 04:05:26 pm »

Talk of final fantasy makes me want to recreate the underground city from ffVI I forget its name but if I remember right you got the meteor esper from there. Bonus points to whomever knows what I'm talking about.

Edgar's castle(yeah I forgot it's name as well) would look nice as well.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 04:11:35 pm »

A large Aztec- Pyramid with the forts only butchers shop on top. The legendary butcher is the high priest. Meeting Hall at the foot of the temple and a crowd of idlers surrounding it.

I'll make it the focal point of an underground dwarven village.

Pheonix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 04:19:40 pm »

A large Aztec- Pyramid with the forts only butchers shop on top. The legendary butcher is the high priest. Meeting Hall at the foot of the temple and a crowd of idlers surrounding it.

I'll make it the focal point of an underground dwarven village.

I assume that your fortress will achieve the same end as the original Aztecs, hmmm?  8)

returntonull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 04:23:20 pm »

Oil rig fortress.

Drive giant pillars down to the sea floor, disconnect it from the mainland. Reveal in the marvels of dwarven engineering.

ReverseWill

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs cigarettes to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 05:00:18 pm »

Oil rig fortress.

Drive giant pillars down to the sea floor, disconnect it from the mainland. Reveal in the marvels of dwarven engineering.

With a big [and I mean BIG] scaffold system far over the water, supports linked to levers, and a lot of time, I bet the pillars wouldn't be too hard to drop onto the ocean floor, either.

Building with cave-ins. It must be explored further.
Just because that tamed alligator killed someone earlier doesn't mean it wouldn't make a great pet now.

returntonull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 05:08:07 pm »

With a big [and I mean BIG] scaffold system far over the water, supports linked to levers, and a lot of time, I bet the pillars wouldn't be too hard to drop onto the ocean floor, either.

Building with cave-ins. It must be explored further.

Well if we're talking that way, why not just literally cast big obsidian structures, and drop them to the ocean floor. Dwarven Atlantis. I can't think of a way to get windows into them though.

Pheonix_RE

• Bay Watcher
  • (sic)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 05:09:54 pm »

I kinda want to make a fortress filled with water-filled channels, with pathways on the side - sorta like the sewer levels ever-present in RPGs. Whether it be from an aquifer or pumped in I don't mind - although the latter would make it easier to get power from this everpresent threat of drowning...

mission0: I don't think that castle that you can get to from Figaro has a proper name. Bonus points is you actually make that and create the caves that lead to it as well.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 05:10:32 pm »

Something I did-- I created a fortress covered by an enormous dome, all that built atop a mountain, with a huge spire atop the dome, and then a statue atop the spire.

I bet it would look awesome, if only there was a visualizer.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 05:11:43 pm »

Oil rig fortress.

Speaking of oil rigs, are there any plans to actually add oil into the game? I recall playing Clonks and having a lot of fun with oil there.
Pages: [1] 2 3