Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I might go to a mental hospital.  (Read 3372 times)

dot12321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I might go to a mental hospital.
« on: April 24, 2010, 07:11:12 pm »

First, I'd just like to say that I'll probably stop posting in this thread altogether if I see some cool-kid thinking he's awesome by laughing or jumping on band-wagons in this thread.

Okay. So, long story short, I finally fell in love with the girl I had broken up with three times (all being horrible mistakes now that I think about it), and she basically starts telling me she hates me and she wants me to die out of nowhere. I mean, it's horrible, but I had hurt her a lot, so I guess I kind of deserved it. She blames the fact that she's messed up now because of me, and a lot of other things. So, always being depressed and shit over this and other things, I made the dumb mistake of starting to cut myself again. My thighs are scarred completely because of it. Basically, the entirety of both my thighs say dumb things like, "I'M SO SORRY", "LIAR", "1/30" (the last time I ever saw her) and over 100 other cuts going up and down my thighs (I actually counted, once)
That was about 2 months ago. The scars remain clearly visible, as big pink lines.

Well, now, she had gone and told the school's guidance office that I was cutting myself a few days ago. On Friday she talked to them about it, and on Monday I'm getting called down, where they may check me.

Here's the deal. Three years ago, when I used to cut and I was caught, my mother had told me that if I was ever caught again, I'd be put in a mental hospital for rehabilitation or something. I'm petrified to go to school on Monday. I really don't know what to do..

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I might go to a mental hospital.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 07:19:14 pm »

Don't be afraid of psychiatric help.Seek it out.
I cannot personally relate to your problem so i will not try and tell you what i personally think about it.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 07:21:59 pm »

How are scars on your thighs clearly visible?
Either you're mistaking calves for thighs or you wear some pretty short shorts.

Anyway, yeah. Therapy is very, very helpful.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 07:30:52 pm »

Mental hospital? Sounds alright, good luck!
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 08:13:49 pm »

Well, think about it, doesn't it sound right to you? You seems to got problems, a bit of professional help should help you.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 09:14:44 pm »

...You guys are missing the point. Cutting yourself doesn't mean your in-fucking-sane. You should see a therapist yes, but not go to a mental hospital unless your in danger of hurting yourself or others genuinely.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 09:25:14 pm »

...You guys are missing the point. Cutting yourself doesn't mean your in-fucking-sane. You should see a therapist yes, but not go to a mental hospital unless your in danger of hurting yourself or others genuinely.
agreed.

Cutting can be caused by lots of things, a desire for attention, borderline personality disorder, or simple depression. Its best to seek help. 

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 09:41:46 pm »

Go to the counselor and seek help. Its probably the only way to start the path to recovery.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 10:16:12 pm »

I'd avoid going through your school's guidance and seek a professional therapist. If told to expose your legs, say you have a right not to show them. A mental hospital may just make you feel worse than before, it's better to seek help, and remain on a normal schedule.

Don't get caught up in one specific person. There's others that are better than the one you've spent time with.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 10:21:32 pm »

I have known a lot of cutters, and some burners. (Same thing but they burn themselves). Usually it's used as a form of using the pain as a way to relieve the emotional pain inside them. Everyone is different, but this is usually how it works. The problem is, as you have discovered, it doesn't actually cure anything. It just makes the symptom go away for a while.

You need some help, and that is OK. It's not a sign of weakness, anymore than needing to go to the doctor for strep throat is.
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

Pathos

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 10:26:47 pm »

I have known a lot of cutters, and some burners. (Same thing but they burn themselves). Usually it's used as a form of using the pain as a way to relieve the emotional pain inside them. Everyone is different, but this is usually how it works. The problem is, as you have discovered, it doesn't actually cure anything. It just makes the symptom go away for a while.

You need some help, and that is OK. It's not a sign of weakness, anymore than needing to go to the doctor for strep throat is.

Well, no, it's because endorphines are released, which is a pleasurable sensation. So, you come to associate the cutting / burning with the endorphine release and therefore do it more and more. It's basically an addiction.

dot12321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 10:43:30 pm »

How are scars on your thighs clearly visible?
Either you're mistaking calves for thighs or you wear some pretty short shorts.

Anyway, yeah. Therapy is very, very helpful.

I meant they're very noticeable. And yeah, cutting is like an addiction.
What I forgot to put in the OP is that I can't let my entire family down by getting caught again..

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 10:46:36 pm »

Definitely don't go to a mental hospital (as in, inpatient type thing) right off the bat. MAYBE it's the best thing but it's also a huge disruption of your life and there's other, less disrupting (and stigmatizing) options you should try first. Definitely see a professional. Get referred to other professionals. Do it ASAP.

Clearly, you do have a problem that needs to be treated - if you didn't have something wrong already, you wouldn't react that way to a breakup. If you've already been hurting (much less scarring) yourself, PLEASE go see a mental health professional right away. Your family will just have to come to terms with it, and if you put off getting help because you're afraid of what they think, it's just going to keep getting worse. If your mom sees what you were doing as something that has to be punished instead of treated (which I'm getting from you being worried about "getting caught") then she has some problems of her own, but that's not for you to worry about fixing right now.

I can't refer you to anybody obviously but a school counselor is a good place to start.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 11:07:00 pm »

I've met cutters, they dont make sense to me...and from me thats saying volumes.

=P
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 11:16:24 pm »

I agree with everybody here, though I think your problem is more that you're worried about being sent to a mental clinic, and not that you're thinking of checking into one. Don't worry about it. There are so many cutters wandering around schools that the mental hospitals don't waste their space on it. They have people with actual mental illnesses to worry about.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?
Pages: [1] 2 3