Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Gustatory Science - Advancements in Dwarven Cuisine (currently on hiatus)  (Read 8449 times)

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile

Yeah, when I started thinking about yeast (and had to edit my post above to mention it...), I realized getting it in the dwarves hands will take a few steps. So, unleavened bread will probably be the first on the list. So, flatbread & crackers will be there, cookies too (but they need a few more ingredients).
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile

I can't wait for Dwarven Flour bread...

GOD IM HUNGREH
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh also while on the subject of flatbreads... DWARVEN PIZZA!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile

Also, as a secondary part of working with bread, baking soda, yeast and salt will be making an appearance. Edible salt will be made through refining rock salt, and baking soda is made from nahcolite, a soft, white rock that can be found in rock salt clusters (it occurs naturally near rock salt IRL too). I'd like to make sea salt available, but I'm stumped as to how. I've gotta learn more about yeast to figure out how the dwarves will get their hands on it.
Incredible. You, sir, have imagined a food system with a complexity unknown by dwarfkind.

How about you get the little things, stuff you only need in small quantities (yeast, salt) from traders? Or, yeast could be something you grow on a farm - unrealistic but sort of makes sense if you think of it as an abstract representation of a yeast-growing operation.
Or you could make 10 yeast units from 1 yeast unit and 1 food in an alchemist's laboratory, but bring some yeast at embark.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well in my research, I discovered that there's a wild yeast (used mostly in sourdough) that can be found on plants, so perhaps a reaction that takes in some plants and gives yeast? Because the alternative source of yeast involves feeding and cultivating it, which could be done with just leaving wet flour out I suppose... It just takes a lot longer than the whole reaction system. Of course, the whole brewing process in DF ignores yeast. I suppose I could, too.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 12:06:06 am by Intelligent Shade of Blue »

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

If you want the meat grinder to occasionally injure the operator, you could have a low-probability product of the reaction be a gas that causes a syndrome.  I'm not sure if you could get the effects quite right, though (and it might end up injuring others around the workshop as well, or end up as a coating on something and killing everyone).

this brings to mind a meat-grinder that spontaneously gains sentience and starts hopping around chewing up dwarfs into -ground dwarf meat-  :P
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 10:31:35 am by Odd!x »
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Hey, I want to say thanks in advance for making the boozebelly reaction. That's what I needed to turn brahmin cheese into Jet for the wasteland mod (because there's no poo).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

this brings to mind a meat-grinder that spontaneously gains sentience and starts hopping around chewing up dwarfs into -ground dwarf meat-  :P

lol! Well, while I don't plan on creating monsters for this mod, a robotic/construct monster with a grinder attack would be sweet. It could also spray bacteria-infested blood  ;D ;D

Quote from: Deon link=topic=54963.msg1190780#msg1190780   date=1272015307
  Hey, I want to say thanks in advance for making the boozebelly reaction.   That's what I needed to turn brahmin cheese into Jet for the wasteland   mod (because there's no poo).

No problem! It took a long time and many regenned worlds, but I eventually settled upon that reaction after confirming that the stuff that comes out from milking really isn't usable for anything but making cheese (which means it has to be milk, otherwise it's basically useless). Until Toady fixes liquid reactions, that is.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 09:49:11 am by Intelligent Shade of Blue »

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd just leave the yeast thing out. The importance of it wasn't even discovered before modern Germ Theory. Given how easily they brew things, I imagine the average fortress is crawling with fermenting bacteria anyway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd just leave the yeast thing out. The importance of it wasn't even discovered before modern Germ Theory. Given how easily they brew things, I imagine the average fortress is crawling with fermenting bacteria anyway

Well, before people actually knew what yeast was or how to grow it, bakers would get yeast from brewers to aid in making leavened bread and had been doing so for a really long time, like since the Ancient Egyptians (who had beer). Here's an interesting article on the NASA website... Not sure why it's there... Maybe astronauts are playing with yeast out in space? But anyways, since dwarf brewers don't have a yeast stockpile, I'm probably going to put yeast on hold for now.

In any case updated the second post in this thread with some of my plans.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

I like how you've got sausages working even if blocks of meat seem a little odd. Back in 40d I added a handful of different jams / jellies / preserves to the game. They were extractable from the various berries and were stored in vials. Now that reactions are more complex would it be possible to include sugar as an ingredient in making preserves much like in real life? I haven't really dug into the new raws yet.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah the whole flesh boulder functionality is a bit wonky but it's about as good as I can get it right now.

Preserves should be possible... It's definitely something that I can imagine working, but they would have to be an end product and not be reagents of higher tier reactions, since as I said above liquids AFAIK don't work as reagents right now.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

Fair enough. I suppose it could be used but only if not stored in containers, imagine having to wade through your jam stockpiles. It doesn't seem quite right.

Do you think you will be using bone meal for anything? It is under the food section in stockpiles and giants apparently like making bread from it. Acquired through a bone crusher a little like your meat grinder or perhaps to keep things simple it could be a reaction for the meat grinder. On a related note I found a very dwarven waterwheel powered bone crusher.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, the jam should be usable in the standard cooking at a kitchen. I think (or at least would hope) they'll bring the jam there in its vial/barrel just fine... It's just custom reactions fail at that.

With bone meal, the reaction would probably be a tad different than what I've worked with before.. Bone meal is already actually in the raws, as the powdered solid state of bone. Not entirely sure how to change material states yet, nor do I know if powders suffer the same bug/oversight that liquids do. They are, after all, usually stored in bags so it has me worried.

All of this can be avoided by suspending belief and making them solids, though. Then the dwarf will pull the stuff out of a barrel and bring it to the custom reaction.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 01:17:09 pm by Intelligent Shade of Blue »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

ISoB: There's an error: BREWER is not a skill, it's BREWING.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5