Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Gustatory Science - Advancements in Dwarven Cuisine (currently on hiatus)  (Read 8455 times)

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
Re: ISoB's Gustatory Science Mod (v0.11) - Advancements in Dwarven Cuisine
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 11:58:36 pm »

Actually, that's what I've been trying to do... I've got the reactions dropping a boulder that turns to gas immediately and has a inhaled syndrome. My intent is for the syndrome to have a chance to get their hands/fingers to rot completely away, but so far the dwarves are able to remove the rotting tissue before amputation is required... I might just make it cause bleeding instead.

But anyways, here's a sample of what I've got cooking up:

Yes, that's a building constructed out of processed meat (and sinews, hair, hoof, nervous tissue, cartilage, etc). You can see my meat grinder workshop in the middle, and a big pile of meat blocks to the south.
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 12:31:56 am »

Hmmmm.
We have syndromes that work well, but not other things.
So make a syndrome.
Salmonella, botulism, what have you. Raw meat inevitably leads to disease; add that as a gas that diffuses around the workshop and settles on things. Force them to clean their butcher shop and keep it tidy, or else they'll get sick.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 08:56:39 am »

Oh, the food sickness/bacteria syndrome i tried out actually worked. Didn't try it as a liquid that would splash onto the ground (used a gas instead to ensure contraction), but I successfully got the dwarf to become nauseous, feverish, tired, and have a painful stomach.

I was having trouble with the necrosis effect, which I wanted to use to simulate hand amputation (if a limb gets rotten enough, it's supposed to get amputated by a surgeon AFAIK). It doesn't seem as deadly as I had inferred from the wiki. Could be a bug, but after they get the rotting flesh removed, the creature is just fine. Even setting the severity to 40000 only leads to regular rot and not the incurable kind :(

Then I tried a bleeding effect. Got the dwarves' fingers to start bleeding, but bleeding from all 10 of them or whatever (I can't figure out how to only affect one finger or one hand) caused the dwarf to rapidly bleed out and die. Gotta play around with severity and stuff with that.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 09:02:41 am »

Nice!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 09:27:24 am »

Hey, any progress on the breadmaking thing?  :D I WANT LOAVES
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok! Next update is up. I'll start working on bread and a few other things too. Got some ideas of what to do with useless goblin corpses.

This update includes a Uristmod-compatible folder, so installation is easier (and i remembered to add the entity changes too!, though if you're playing as something other than dwarves it won't do much)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 12:21:24 pm by Intelligent Shade of Blue »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile

Hehe, goblin meat tower. Im sold. *downloads*

Also, about grinding up goblins, it might be rather diffucult. I keep trying to get the reactions to recognise corpses but it fails miserably.

The dwarves just use no item at all, use any random item (no urist, booze barrel is not corpse), or give some 'needs item' message.

As it seems corpses dont have a material. Giving a dwarf a corpse as itemcorpse with iron, blood or whatever as material just produces a regular dwarf corpse.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually, I stumbled across a corpse reaction while testing the grinder reactions. I accidentally forgot to mark a meat reaction as MEAT:NONE:NONE:NONE, and instead just put NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE with a HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT tag related to various body meats, and the dwarf threw a mule corpse into the grinder. I think it's because the corpse is composed of those various templates. More research is needed, of course, especially since that thing would have no ability to discern a corpse from a prepared lung.

I've already got my suicide device set up to experiment on dwarf corpses.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate

Goblin corpses?  [insert scene from   Fargo] Feh!  Let the grinder accept *live* goblins...  [insert video clip]

Better yet, make a meat grinder mechanism, toss some elves in a small room with it, and turn it on...  [insert Edward Gorey art]
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile

Ok, after commiting science on lots of embarks dwarves and some wagon annimals, I found out that using HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT can indeed detect corpses with that material. Regretably this doesnt work on all materials, sinew and blood for example dont work. Meat is the only one I am actualy certain it works on, but more should be able to work.

You should be able to get the grinder to accept just goblin corpses if you give the goblins a material only they (and other to-be-ground creatures) have.

As long as you dont use that material in anything else, including the reactions products, you shouldnt need the game to see the difference between corpses and meat.

Regretably this still wont enable me to butcher my own dwarves (what...). They still flatly ignore their own corpses in terms on reactions. Sad face.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile

Grim, try these: [EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE]
[EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Goblin corpses?  [insert scene from   Fargo] Feh!  Let the grinder accept *live* goblins...  [insert video clip]

Better yet, make a meat grinder mechanism, toss some elves in a small room with it, and turn it on...  [insert Edward Gorey art]

Unfortunately, as of now, live creatures can't be used in or made by reactions :(

However, dead ones must be usable... Now it's time to send some dwarves to the suicide booth, get some corpses, and start the science!

I know there's a CORPSE item token... I'd rather try to get that to work than alter creatures.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 09:40:07 pm by Intelligent Shade of Blue »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile

Okay, have an elf-breeding room with several retractable bridges, and periodically drop a few to their death several stories below in the processing room.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, yeah.. CORPSE definitely didn't work... You were right, the dwarf used a booze barrel instead. To punish them, I flooded the world with magma.

I think I'm going to use your suggestion of the special corpse grinding tag material. The only problem is testing it will take some time, as I'll have to wait for subjects to show up. I'll give it to humans & elves too, for more guinea pigs.

Since I want to stick with the dwarven default ethics, grinding corpses of sentients won't produce food. Instead, my plan is for the grinder to produce some useful stuff. I think it'll produce a few balls of flesh for building goblin flesh monuments (a good way to measure how many you've killed!) and some blood (even though liquids are pretty much unusable as reagents right now). Any other ideas as to what comes out of the grinder when you throw an enemy corpse in?

Anyways, as testing that will take awhile, I'm currently working on a new workshop: the Stove & Oven (couldn't think of a better name). It's reaction will require fuel (there's a magma version, of course), but it will be the focus of a lot of the future of this mod. Currently I've got bread in the works, but there's gonna be a lot more :D

Also, as a secondary part of working with bread, baking soda, yeast and salt will be making an appearance. Edible salt will be made through refining rock salt, and baking soda is made from nahcolite, a soft, white rock that can be found in rock salt clusters (it occurs naturally near rock salt IRL too). I'd like to make sea salt available, but I'm stumped as to how. I've gotta learn more about yeast to figure out how the dwarves will get their hands on it.

Bread Reaction

Step 1 (Kitchen) :: Flour + Tallow (butter will have to wait until I can use milk) + Salt + Yeast = dough
Step 2 (Stove & Oven) :: Dough + [FUEL] = Loaf of bread (probably will come as a number of slices, each quite valuable)

Muffin/cakes/quick bread will be made with baking soda.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 11:37:19 pm by Intelligent Shade of Blue »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile

Hey, why don't you make a simple kind of bread, maybe unleavened? It might have less value, but its still okay...
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5