Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Not Exactly a Loveletter to Fans  (Read 15977 times)

DonerKebab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Not Exactly a Loveletter to Fans
« on: April 19, 2010, 09:07:39 pm »

???  DF is great and thanks to Toady for making it.  But I don't get this release.  This is not what I have been waiting 2 years for.  It's great that goblins have been seriously improved but he's also seriously weakened DF standbys: marksdwarves, wardogs and traps.  The game plays the same as the 2008 release, except the player is totally screwed.  Where that release became too easy quickly, this release becomes unplayable due to the military interface.  Goblins did need to be tougher, but I need the ability to train my dwarves to fight them.  I need a fair fight where if I build the right fortifications for my guys and and give them the right training facilities and equipment, they will succeed.  Currently not the case.  Frankly the improvements to the world generator don't make this game better.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Not Exactly a Loveletter to Fans
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 09:17:32 pm »

I understand what you're saying and where you're coming from. Personally I hope that when the final bugfixes come out and we have a stable release the training issues will be fixed, but yeah, defending against damn near anything is rather difficult right now.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 09:22:14 pm »

Don't forget the godzilla* zombies that attack your fortress.

*Godzilla zombies are any zombies, even foxes.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 09:23:49 pm »

Don't forget the godzilla* zombies that attack your fortress.

*Godzilla zombies are any zombies, even foxes.

Naw that was bugfixed, now zombies and skellies die from gentle touching.

Anyways, to the OP: Yes I understand you're mad. But why share? It's just inflammatory, you know.

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 09:26:51 pm »

I like most of the gameplay changes that are in the new version, the only problem is that its bugged, which was expected.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 09:27:28 pm »

Anyways, to the OP: Yes I understand you're mad. But why share? It's just inflammatory, you know.

People are allowed to express their frustration as well as their adulation. It's a legitimate opinion.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 09:44:47 pm »

I like most of the gameplay changes that are in the new version, the only problem is that its bugged, which was expected.
This is it, pretty much. Every version of every game has a lot of bugs in it, that's what patches are for. It's even worse when there is no official testing team to try and find all of them before it's released to the public(as developers are likely to miss a lot due to unexepected playstyles). That doesn't make the game bad though; Keep in mind the last version had years of bugfixing done on it, and this one was just released two weeks ago. give it a few months, and you will see a lot improvement.

That said, I am personally holding off playing until the inorganic monsters(Bronze Colossi, certain Titians and HFS) can be killed without the use of elaborate magma or cave-in traps. I don't mind if they wipe out half my military, as long as it is possible for my military to actually kill them. That makes it Fun. Immortal, buggy monsters are not Fun.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 09:47:35 pm »

It's a legitimate opinion.
But it's like looking at an alpha version (well, in this case, it literally is such, but...) and saying "HURR THIS GAME ISN'T FINISHED."  You're just stating the obvious and making yourself look like a jackass.
We KNOW that 0.31 is bugged.  We KNOW that it's unbalanced.
The man is working on it.  Settle down.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 09:51:36 pm »

I love Toady unconditionally and will always and forever.  ;D
However, I only play 40D... so my opinion is outdated.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 10:00:32 pm »

Currently not the case.
Pertinent statement underlined.

Things not working because of bugs are not Toady trying to screw fans, they're bugs. When the new version works it will be an improvement. In the meantime, Toady explicitly stated that the new version would be loaded with bugs, so I'm not really sure what your point is.

Everyone's entitled to like or dislike the new version, sure, but the way your post is presented implies you feel the new version is actually intended as an insult to players. I think that's a bit odd.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 10:19:17 pm »

The options were:

1. DF as it is now, playable, but with much fun.
2. Wait another half-year as Toady tries to fix everything.

Now that's it's released, we have more testers, and even some people who can help deduce the causes of bugs. See the tracker.

Sparrowhawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 10:24:51 pm »

There are a lot of things that are bugged, yes. But for many of them, there are workarounds. You mention the military; it is most assuredly bugged, with a lot of the new features (which, when working properly, will be AWESOME) being unworkable. There *are* workarounds for a lot of them, though, especially when it comes to dealing with the military. AncientEnemy did a workaround for the military not training a while back, and using that I've managed to get entire 10-man squads of legendary-level soldiers that mincemeat most anything they come across. 'cept Colossi etc, obviously No marksdwarfs alas, but them's the breaks.

Short version: Look for solutions, and. . . patience, my young padawan :)

Thornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 10:26:35 pm »

I don't think goblins are hard at all. And the new interface is awesome.

I've been holding arena 1v1 arena matches between my dwarfs and two ambushes worth of gobos to get them trained up. As long as the dwarfs have some metal armor things go pretty good with trainees 1v1. Right now most of them only have training axes, so they don't really do any damage, but they don't take all that much back either. I usually keep them in there until my dwarf is injured/tired or the gobo is dead. Just open the door when done and they run out into a new cage trap.

I just got my very first Axe Lord, which was just a recruit bashing a lasher with a training axe for 47 pages of combat. The lasher has also become a master, which went back to their cage for later.

Once you finally figure the uniform system, I don't know how I'd live without it.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 10:43:17 pm »

You know why the new release is buggy?

Because everyone was screaming at Toady to get it out the door.

They'll get fixed over time. Be grateful you have ANYTHING, you have no idea how much effort went into this game. I'm a programmer, so I have some idea: A massive, massive amount. Think about what you're complaining about. You're getting a game that quite frankly borders on should-not-exist in terms of awesomeness, and you don't even need to pay for it!

Like the guys above said, it's an alpha. It's supposed to be buggy. So instead of getting all mad about it, and laugh at all the bugs. It's a game, have fun. It ain't serious business.

Also,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 11:02:57 pm »

You know why the new release is buggy?

Because everyone was screaming at Toady to get it out the door.
That's what fans do when you take a long time. Not very much appreciation for the hard work involved, but without them, motivation is harder to come by.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14