Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you like feces in game

YES! (i would use it)
NO! (i would not use it, and i think it is pointless/unethical/gross etc.)
yes, but i would dissable it if it was an init option (all yes voters are assumed to be for an init option, only vote here if you think it should be included but you would not use it)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25

Author Topic: Feces vote  (Read 45430 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Feces vote
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2010, 12:32:12 am »

Can I just go on record as saying that I'm far more offended by the vomit in game than I ever would be by poop? The vomit doesn't really serve a purpose, while poop can serve a lot of purposes. Fertilizer for one. One way of showing what sort of creatures are in your area. Setting up a dedicated sewer system would be awesome.

Seriously, why do people get so offended by the idea of poop, but are perfectly fine with vomit?
Interesting stance.

Vomit and blood share the same utility. Are you offended by blood in the game?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

furrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2010, 12:49:03 am »

I think limiting the scope of the filth idea to feces is contrary to the kinds of features Dwarf Fortress is renowned for. Like Bricks I feel that this is the kind of thing that will be easily added through a mod someday. Asking for Dwarves to specifically defecate is like requesting a copper sword before having items. What we are actually looking for is a system that can accommodate some of the game play features we want to do. Example:

-A living unit can emit a splatter contaminant of any material onto a nearby square
-A living unit can emit an amount of any liquid material onto an adjacent square
-The rate and amount of these emissions can be controlled
-This emission can be trigger by any number of unit states (starving, sleeping, just ate, just drank, lost a loved one)
-Units may have zone designated where this emission is preferred to occur and the will task to it.
-The 'emit material' task should be able to interact with built objects or workshops
-The emission can be toggle or triggered on adventure mode characters
-An option for a custom unit need (ex: tiredness, bladder strength, intoxication levels, arousal)

This framework would support the request in question and the crazy part is it seems that Toadys already started on some of these or even completed them. Some could just be outside the scope of the game entirely (haha). If it's flexible enough for others uses and general DF craziness (it's not a bug it's a feature!) then it's very easy to consider spending development time on it and becomes less to do with shit and more about deeper interactions and new possibilities.

Come at the idea from the perspective of story telling as well, our stories about how we felt and what happened are usually greater then the forts they are about. Imagine the story of a drunken human, who wanders outside his house at night looking for a place to relieve himself. He finds a peaceful looking pond and decides it would be a good place to urinate. While doing just that he invokes the wrath of a water spirit living in the pond, who chases after him spraying water in every direction in anger.

There is also the awesomeness factor to consider but I think sewage flood traps, elephants drinking and spraying water about with their trunk, and magma men dripping with molten rock deliver. :)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2010, 12:50:42 am »

The poll kinda made me wonder. How is poop unethical?

Also, never forget the possibility of "night soil" tipped bolts and arrows.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2010, 12:56:29 am »

poop purely for the sewage system we'd have to build around it and the possibility to make a trade depot right under the sewage spout hahaha

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2010, 12:57:05 am »

That's disgusting. I second that idea.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2010, 01:23:25 am »

Hi!

Well, if Toady One already made a tasteful implementation a prerequisite, I think this is getting pointless. Looking over the discussion on the issue, most people in favor of including it are interested in very tasteless possibilities and implementations. So, putting together something that Toady One approves of is probably contrary to what they want.

For the record, I agree with Toady One on this wholeheartedly - while I see the potential it has for intriguing simulation and diseases, the immaturity we will be bombarded with is far too annoying.

Deathworks

Fetus4188

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2010, 01:33:23 am »

I'd like to vote for "This isn't a democracy and Toady doesn't want it"

Kelbin

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:terrifyingly blocky features]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2010, 01:47:47 am »

Will what's wrong with just having animal poop for use in farming? It doesn't have to go has far as making it a liquid so you can pour it on elves and goblins. o_0

And with that a zone to have animals graze on, so we don't have to have several cows standing randomly on the same cinnabar table.

That sounds wierd even without video game feces.
Coalition soldier cancels attack dummy brain: interrupted by Rocklet. x6
Rocklet has scuttled!
Crab has been crushed! x106
Coalition soldier has been crushed! x6
Crab has been crushed! x43

RumblingNoise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2010, 02:36:29 am »

No..
Just, no.
This is a forum post (text). All Craftsdwarfship is of the lowest quality. It is encrusted with typos, decorated with personal insults and (funny) pictures and encircled with flaming. It is made from text. This post menaces with dry humor and poor writing. On the post is an image of smellbad the sweaty sock in color.
On the post is a personal opinion of RumblingNoise the dwarf in black text. The dwarf is cursing. The artwork relates to the crafting of a post in 20XX.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2010, 02:43:14 am »

Will what's wrong with just having animal poop for use in farming? It doesn't have to go has far as making it a liquid so you can pour it on elves and goblins. o_0

My big issue here is that it would need to be handled well, so that it doesn't just become some sort of disgusting mess that the dwarves/game don't handle properly.

To put it another way:
Manure for farming: Good.
Manure being accidentally tracked all over your entire dining room and never cleaned up, and dwarves being coated in it, because of whatever bugs involving splatters, cleaning, etc.: Not good, and pretty distasteful.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Forpl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2010, 02:54:23 am »

Feces management would present an interesting challenge now that there are diseases and such. Saying feces would be pointless would be like saying that any other challenge is pointless.

There already are a lot of immature and distasteful things you can do in the game, and I don't believe those features were always intended to be used in such ways. Simply because it's possible to use feces in immature ways doesn't mean that the whole concept of feces and management of it is immature.

Let those who find it fun to use feces as war paint use it as that and let the people who are looking for additional challenges use it for that.

Also, since most of you seem very fanatical about historical accuracy, may I remind you that squalor used to be quite a problem.

Edit: I still think there should be an option to turn it off, though. For those who really oppose the idea.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 03:59:09 am by Forpl »
Or couldn't you just carry the vampires mutilated corpse, and then lick it a bit, when you were ready?

EvilCartyen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2010, 04:13:12 am »

For me, it isn't because I want to do gross things with it. I don't purposefully kill my dwarves either, and I don't need to fling anything but weapons at enemies. I don't kill elves for fun either. Call me a boring, dreary doo-gooder if you must :P

For me, it's about a realistic simulation. I like realistic simulations, and I wish to have things as realistic as possible. And living things produce waste. There's nothing immature about that, there's nothing gross about it, and there are no arguments against it - beyond perhaps arguing that other things should be focused on first.

I can, of course, play the game without it. But I'd much prefer it to be a part of the game, eventually. It would seem unnecessarily prudish and childish to ignore reality.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2010, 06:14:46 am »

Good call about vomit. Dwarves are covered with it, they eat and drink vomit and make babies in vomit. They greet traders with vomit...

I would better see a better defecation system than the current vomiting system (which I just ignore in most cases, because dwarves do not pause to do it, so there's no need in "sinks").
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2010, 09:38:45 am »

Can I just go on record as saying that I'm far more offended by the vomit in game than I ever would be by poop? The vomit doesn't really serve a purpose, while poop can serve a lot of purposes. Fertilizer for one. One way of showing what sort of creatures are in your area. Setting up a dedicated sewer system would be awesome.

Seriously, why do people get so offended by the idea of poop, but are perfectly fine with vomit?
Interesting stance.

Vomit and blood share the same utility. Are you offended by blood in the game?

it was also not uncommon for people to crap their pants as their final act on a battlefield, so it serves the same purpose... but i'm not in favour of this particular part, we dont need our fights even more dirty. I also dont want to deal with this shit in adventurer mode, but it would be easilly avoided the way i avoid eating and sleeping in adventurer mode, (T)

Mikko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2010, 09:51:10 am »

I can't help to leave a really bad and nonconstructive comment here:
GODDAMN THIS HAS BEEN DISCUSSED TO THE DEATH AND I DO NOT WANT THIS IN THE GAME, PERIOD
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 09:55:30 am by Mikko »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25