Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you like feces in game

YES! (i would use it)
NO! (i would not use it, and i think it is pointless/unethical/gross etc.)
yes, but i would dissable it if it was an init option (all yes voters are assumed to be for an init option, only vote here if you think it should be included but you would not use it)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25

Author Topic: Feces vote  (Read 45485 times)

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Feces vote
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2010, 09:58:45 am »

Like I said before, of the infinite interesting real considerations that could be added, why the fascination with this.
The answer is reason enough not to do it.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2010, 10:06:37 am »

Like I said before, of the infinite interesting real considerations that could be added, why the fascination with this.
The answer is reason enough not to do it.

Because it's a frequent part of human life that is completely ignored in DF? Given DF is a very realistic world simulator, it's frankly surprising that waste disposal is such a small feature.
Given that we have every rock within twelve paces of the fortress entrance stained with vomit, and hunks of rotten meat bunging up the kitchen sink, I think a sewage system would not be particularly out of place. I personally would prefer it be called "sewage" rather than anything more specific and would be combined with the general ablution processes dwarves already go through. Heck, just make sewage a minor contaminant that appears when dwarves do their regular washing.
Personally I'd be happy with just being able to designate separate drinking water and washing water sources, so that one could build a sewer without having your dwarves drink from it or wash the blood and vomit off in the well.

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2010, 10:51:37 am »

Yeah, let's not.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2010, 10:53:36 am »

I think it says something about me that I saw "feces vote" and clicked on it immediately.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2010, 12:50:20 pm »

If The One Toad adds this, you know what will happen...

2 Dwarves 1 Mug.

...  :P

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2010, 12:56:23 pm »

I think it says something about me that I saw "feces vote" and clicked on it immediately.

Same here.  :D
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2010, 01:01:51 pm »

Hooloovoo!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2010, 02:16:48 pm »

Considering I once designed a fort based around having a sewage system/water source (See Wavehandle). I would consider it an intersting addition for challenge-sake. Let's not forget the added realism, and with disease and infections implemented, it can serve as a powerful deterrent and bad mood generator. It can also be taken advantage of as a form of fertilizer and applying the art of Dorodango ala a Mythbusters myth, you can construct blocks made from it and use it as building material (or craft shiny spheres from mud or "mud"), like some of those houses that are sorta adobe-like, but made of a combination of mud and crap. Alternatively, said mounds can also be used for catapulting or making ballista, arrows, and bolts disease ridden and adequate deterrents. Miasma would be less of a worry compared to these acidic cloud generators.

Despite it's crudeness, it's "crude" quality could provide a challenge as well as a share of benefits and consequences, provided it's handled properly. And I would advise against sharing it's disposal with the drinking source. Don't want to get other infections from that, unless disposal is dealt with in the nearby stream/brook, A latrine system would have to be implemented, and I'm sure Toady wouldn't appreciate many of the other reasons behind implementing the code, but at the same time, it would be an interesting programming challenge just for the hell of it.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind it being included; just as long as it would be shut off upon install. It's at the player's discretion to allow defecation.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 02:46:43 pm by Itnetlolor »

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2010, 02:24:14 pm »

But yeah, I wouldn't mind it being included; just as long as it would have be shut off upon install. It's at the player's discretion to allow defecation.

After reading that, one of the thoughts running through my head was turning it off until you had your sewage system ready.

"Nobody crap until I finish putting running water in your room!"

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2010, 03:04:03 pm »

i think it is interesting how evenly split the community is. looks like there is no real lead for either side.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 03:17:43 pm by lucusLoC »
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2010, 03:07:06 pm »

I vote no because I like these forums and I don't want them flooded with feces humor. The fact that this is about feces specifically rather than general filth makes arguments towards realism suspicious. Half the existing workshops would produce hazardous waste at a much quicker pace than a dwarf's daily poo break.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2010, 03:10:08 pm »

i think it is interesting how evenly split the community is. looks like there is no real lead for wither side.
True, but if you look at the polls, the Yes side is winning marginally, as it is the first & third option combined.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2010, 03:17:24 pm »

ah yes, but on the flip side of the coin the "will not use" side is winning by a slightly larger margin. . .
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2010, 03:26:50 pm »

I vote no because I like these forums and I don't want them flooded with feces humor. The fact that this is about feces specifically rather than general filth makes arguments towards realism suspicious. Half the existing workshops would produce hazardous waste at a much quicker pace than a dwarf's daily poo break.

Right. The fact that people gravitate specifically towards fecal matter is a tad suspicious.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2010, 03:43:51 pm »

Guys guys, we are clearly dealing with a poop fetishist here. Just think of how devastatingly bothersome it's going to be in-game and move along.
Anyone ever played with virtual pets as a kid? Well, you might remember how purposeless and bothersome it was to deal with such things. Realism is good when it doesn't bother the player out. "AAAGH IT TOOK SEVEN MONTHS TO BUILD THIS FORTRESS AND I HAVE TO MANUALLY CLEAN FECES ALL THE TIME" and stuff like that.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25