Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.03 Released  (Read 123825 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.03 Released
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2010, 01:32:29 am »

Hm, transferring the standard raws into a old save as properly as I'm able seems to have made my crafts-shop only able to make unknown substance crafts.  But my game IS pretty heavily modded, so take that with a grain of salt. It could have been any number of things I screwed up at.

You're not the only one.  There appear to be several other minor but weird bugs with material indexing:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=663
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1044
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=385

Also, Toady, I remember reading something in the Devlog about dwarves carrying around flasks to drink from. I made a bunch of metal flasks for my dorfs, only to have them ignored. I ended up trading them to the Elves for much-needed food. Is this still in, or did I somehow get the Future Dev and Devlog mixed up?

It's supposed to be in.  Most likely a bug.

is there going to be a fix for the forced immigration bug in the next few updates?

im trying to have a fort that is populated ONLY by the original 7 and their offspring, but the waves of immys i get despite having popcap set to 1 are interfering with me doing this

Maybe set popcap to 7?

Setting an initial popcap doesn't really work now because it doesn't take effect until the dwarven caravan has returned home the first time (or something like that), and the caravan typically takes a few years to arrive now.

CapnMikey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2010, 01:42:12 am »

Gasp, hitpoints?!  I thought they were Tarn's personal antichrist ;D

On a more serious note, kudos on the rapid patches.  I'm impressed to see such frequent updates after such a massive release.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2010, 01:49:17 am »

Awesomest!

Now if I can just get my laptop back so I don't have to put up with the dinky processor in my old desktop
But maybe you should allow buckets of soil to be spread over rock in the future... to those who aren't willing in have the trouble I am having in my current fort (three years and I'm still building the farm system - 10 screw pumps already set)

There's a current Suggestions thread about defining irrigation zones that work without the dumb workaround of placing a pond zone on the level above.
That's a nice suggestion. I wonder if, in the future, the soil will detect a level of moisture, refreshing itself when it rains or is near a body of water... Different plants would take different levels of moisture... then again, this sounds like something for the suggestions forum.
Previously if you used mods and then decided to install different ones you would often find that you couldn't load your old saves, what with high elves and pigs no longer existing.

Now that kind of thing should be fine, and it makes succession forts with custom critters easier to trade off to each other, I think.

deep down farms are cooler anyway, no pumps needed
Hear Hear!

Real Dorfs dig down to the caverns and wall off some muddy floor on embark.  I don't care what Toady says - the irrigation "bug" thing is a feature.  Fending off hordes of zombie tiger men while paging through job cancellations caused by a rampaging elk bird are what lets you know you're alive!
I've found that the chases are a little less ridiculous if you have a squad of just one dwarf with an axe chopping up the annoyance grade wild animals.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 02:08:59 am by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2010, 02:14:20 am »

I should be looking at farming pretty soon.  I know there are reports on it, and the issue I remember from testing was that a soil wall underground below an underground soil tile wasn't supporting farming, and it probably should.

So the issue is that when you mine out, for example, a layer of sand, when the next layer down is rock, that the sand left on the floor is only a dusting which wouldn't be thick enough to grow stuff?  Maybe the floor should be whatever the lower layer is (at least with mined out soil), to make it obvious why mud is needed.

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2010, 02:23:39 am »

Also, Toady, I remember reading something in the Devlog about dwarves carrying around flasks to drink from. I made a bunch of metal flasks for my dorfs, only to have them ignored. I ended up trading them to the Elves for much-needed food. Is this still in, or did I somehow get the Future Dev and Devlog mixed up?

Thanks. I'll sign up for the Bug Tracker.

BTW, IIRC, Dwarves are supposed to play instruments now too, but I made a plethora of instruments for trade goods, and nothing came of it. Is that more of the same?

Also, what was your old avatar?

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2010, 02:32:10 am »

I got a crash when creating a dwarf in the arena, using the new version's raw files. Clean extraction of the new version, didn't just overwrite the old one.

The dwarf had grandmaster in Swords, Armor use, shield use, and fighting, and nothing else, not even weapons. As soon as I hit enter to place it, the game hung and soon crashed. If no one can think of a possible cause, or can't replicate it I'll throw it up on the bug tracker in a few minutes.
!!&!!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2010, 02:44:08 am »

I got a crash when creating a dwarf in the arena, using the new version's raw files. Clean extraction of the new version, didn't just overwrite the old one.

The dwarf had grandmaster in Swords, Armor use, shield use, and fighting, and nothing else, not even weapons. As soon as I hit enter to place it, the game hung and soon crashed. If no one can think of a possible cause, or can't replicate it I'll throw it up on the bug tracker in a few minutes.

It should probably go here.  What's needed for that one is a reproducing case.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2010, 02:48:59 am »

e: oops, double post, my bad

Thanks. I'll sign up for the Bug Tracker.

The link I sent you was actually a previous report of the same issue, so it didn't need to be reported again.  It's taken care of, though.  Also, civilians don't carry flasks yet.  It's a military-only thing.

BTW, IIRC, Dwarves are supposed to play instruments now too, but I made a plethora of instruments for trade goods, and nothing came of it. Is that more of the same?

Nah, whoever you heard that from was wrong.  They don't do anything new with instruments.

Also, what was your old avatar?

I've had a lot of avatars, which one?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 03:25:51 am by Footkerchief »

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2010, 02:55:13 am »

Any chance I can beseech Toady to work on the "missing nobles" problem next?  That's the one true fortress-ender for me; farming and other stuff can be worked around but when the manager, broker, leader and armorer disappear in a large fortress, you're stuffed.

Interesting that when you ground a game firmly in a detailed reality, the supernatural becomes harder and harder to justify.  Zombies can sort of be explained as an active "mind" in a physically dead body, so "killing" them can be achieved by, say, destroying the brain.  But animated skeletons make absolutely no sense at all.  I suppose you could imagine the cranial caivty as holding the "mind", so smashing the skull would finish it off.  It would be fun to have, say, an intact skeletal skull, spine and a couple of arms crawling around.

Not many games required you to answer philosophical questions about the nature of self!
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2010, 03:47:26 am »

I don't see the farming priority - If you have a murky pool, river or brook, you channel and dig from it to your desired farm area as deep down as you want, place in a floodgate right at the farm-to-be, connect to lever, then breach the last tile by channeling at the source, dorf standing save above. let flood all tiles to 1/7 least, close gate, wait for water to vanish, build plot. Really same old. If you have no above ground water, use the cavern lake (yes, you have one) - deep down farms are cooler anyway, no pumps needed. Put a grate or bar or fortification (or better all of that) in your water tunnel then, so no swimming guests can enter (they are building destroyers). Above ground farming supposedly works fine as before, but who wants to eat elven poison plants anyway?

Dig a 10x10 farm (make sure it has doors or floodgates on all exits to stop the water getting out), and next to it dig a 4x5 pit, with a floodgate between it and the farm, and another between it and a water source. Use the latter to fill the pit with 7/7 water, then shut it. Use the other to empty the water into the farm, you should get full coverage of 1/7 with a few 2/7 floating about. Wait for the 2/7s to go (can't build a farm plot on 2/7s, can on 1/7). Build farm plot. Job done.

Alternatively just build your farm next to a 20 tile pond and drain it into the farm.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2010, 04:21:00 am »

Dorfs still keep on working until they pass out?

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2010, 05:43:42 am »

hah, awesome.

In my arena, an unskilled dwarf has just killed 5 undead creatures, from fox to ettin, using only an axe and having no armor. In a matter of seconds, rather than minutes.

great fix toady!

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2010, 05:55:03 am »

All these complains about irrigation make me remember horrors of spreading mud.
Thats when irrigation was actually complex - i had to have intricate systems of grates everywhere to fight almighty mud.
As long as it does not happen again, its fine  :P

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2010, 06:00:06 am »

Thanks toady,
now this version of DF feels like v 40d for me (A VERY good thing) with the pathfinding issue out of the way and some crashes removed and I even got the game to be square  :D.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 07:31:11 am by bluephoenix »

zxcvmnb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2010, 06:42:20 am »

I've found that the chases are a little less ridiculous if you have a squad of just one dwarf with an axe chopping up the annoyance grade wild animals.

Except that it's now almost impossible to get squads to use weapons. They just leave them in the stockpile. Maybe it's because they are claimed for other squads or civilians, but it requires a stupid level of micromanagement (inspecting each dwarf's inventory etc.) to put right, and that's assuming there is no combat in the meantime. I lost a 20-strong fort to a zombie fox in an epic, year-long battle because no-one would use weapons. They ultimately died of dehydration because, now, even when disbanded, they keep fighting :I
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23