Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.03 Released  (Read 123767 times)

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.03 Released
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2010, 10:42:55 pm »

I love you Toady.

Just thought I'd put that out there.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2010, 10:53:31 pm »

Toad for President
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

EsnRedshirt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Transferring your Mayday packs from v.02 to v.03
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2010, 11:00:29 pm »

Here's my quick way to transfer your graphic pack from a prior 0.31.xx version without having to wait for a new Mayday version to be compiled. I just verified this does work from v.02 to v.03. Don't blame me if you experience any problems, though- I only tested in Adventurer mode to make sure it didn't crash anything.

* Transferring graphics:
Open up both v.02 and v.03 in separate folders. Make changes as follows:

Folder: raw\graphics
- transfer graphics_mayday.txt and folder mayday from v.02 to v.03

Folder: data\art
- transfer files that aren't there (4 mayday and herrbdog .bmps)

Folder: data\init
- (optional) rename v.03 "init.txt" to "old_init.txt"
- copy "init.txt" from v.02 to v.03

* Transferring savegames:
Folder: data\save
Copy entire "region1" folder from old to new version. (Do not change folder names, people have reported this breaks savegames.)

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring your Mayday packs from v.02 to v.03
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2010, 11:14:02 pm »

Here's my quick way to transfer your graphic pack from a prior 0.31.xx version without having to wait for a new Mayday version to be compiled. I just verified this does work from v.02 to v.03. Don't blame me if you experience any problems, though- I only tested in Adventurer mode to make sure it didn't crash anything.

* Transferring graphics:

Copy entire "region1" folder from old to new version. (Do not change folder names, people have reported this breaks savegames.)

What about data\save\raw\? Shouldn't they replace the raws in that with the raw text folder in the raw\ directory as well? *Since saves seem to have a raw folder now for some reason*

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2010, 11:21:16 pm »

But maybe you should allow buckets of soil to be spread over rock in the future... to those who aren't willing in have the trouble I am having in my current fort (three years and I'm still building the farm system - 10 screw pumps already set)

There's a current Suggestions thread about defining irrigation zones that work without the dumb workaround of placing a pond zone on the level above.
That's a nice suggestion. I wonder if, in the future, the soil will detect a level of moisture, refreshing itself when it rains or is near a body of water... Different plants would take different levels of moisture... then again, this sounds like something for the suggestions forum.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

EsnRedshirt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring your Mayday packs from v.02 to v.03
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2010, 11:22:16 pm »

* Transferring graphics:

What about data\save\raw\? Shouldn't they replace the raws in that with the raw text folder in the raw\ directory as well? *Since saves seem to have a raw folder now for some reason*
Not a clue, haven't played with it that much. I'm generating a new world for this one, anyway. At least the graphic transfer works.

blinking icons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2010, 11:46:27 pm »

I don't see the farming priority - If you have a murky pool, river or brook, you channel and dig from it to your desired farm area as deep down as you want, place in a floodgate right at the farm-to-be, connect to lever, then breach the last tile by channeling at the source, dorf standing save above. let flood all tiles to 1/7 least, close gate, wait for water to vanish, build plot. Really same old. If you have no above ground water, use the cavern lake (yes, you have one) - deep down farms are cooler anyway, no pumps needed. Put a grate or bar or fortification (or better all of that) in your water tunnel then, so no swimming guests can enter (they are building destroyers). Above ground farming supposedly works fine as before, but who wants to eat elven poison plants anyway?
The Thresher looks sick!
The Thresher looks even more sick!
The Thresher vomits.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2010, 11:56:24 pm »

That's a nice suggestion. I wonder if, in the future, the soil will detect a level of moisture, refreshing itself when it rains or is near a body of water... Different plants would take different levels of moisture... then again, this sounds like something for the suggestions forum.

From memory it already does; tree growth is at least partly a function of 'water' level of a tile.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2010, 11:57:45 pm »

Hm, transferring the standard raws into a old save as properly as I'm able seems to have made my crafts-shop only able to make unknown substance crafts.  But my game IS pretty heavily modded, so take that with a grain of salt. It could have been any number of things I screwed up at.

But just saying probably a good idea to do a copy instead of a cut when you transfer a save you are partial to over, just in case something goes wrong.

Of course, that's probably just good practice anyway.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 11:59:39 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2010, 12:03:32 am »

Well, this was quick.

Hopefully my shiny new cord will fix my laptop's MASSIVE LAG problem.

Switching and downloading now.

Also, Toady, I remember reading something in the Devlog about dwarves carrying around flasks to drink from. I made a bunch of metal flasks for my dorfs, only to have them ignored. I ended up trading them to the Elves for much-needed food. Is this still in, or did I somehow get the Future Dev and Devlog mixed up?

Drakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2010, 12:38:27 am »

is there going to be a fix for the forced immigration bug in the next few updates?

im trying to have a fort that is populated ONLY by the original 7 and their offspring, but the waves of immys i get despite having popcap set to 1 are interfering with me doing this

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2010, 12:43:27 am »

deep down farms are cooler anyway, no pumps needed
Hear Hear!

Real Dorfs dig down to the caverns and wall off some muddy floor on embark.  I don't care what Toady says - the irrigation "bug" thing is a feature.  Fending off hordes of zombie tiger men while paging through job cancellations caused by a rampaging elk bird are what lets you know you're alive!
where is up?

heathkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2010, 12:56:42 am »

is there going to be a fix for the forced immigration bug in the next few updates?

im trying to have a fort that is populated ONLY by the original 7 and their offspring, but the waves of immys i get despite having popcap set to 1 are interfering with me doing this

Maybe set popcap to 7?  Or, you know, just build a giant death pit around your fort and don't let them in.

Also, I have to agree, I really like the farming bug.  I used to always dig into soil layers and throw up a farm there - I like that underground farming is now a bit more of a challenge.  It makes the early game much more interesting for me. 

In fact, I think farms should require yearly irrigation.  Either that, or farmers need to water their plants with a bucket after planting.

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2010, 01:15:31 am »

I would vote to keep the current "needs irrigation" way of farming, since it'll force the player just to dig deeper to make cisterns or goto the underground section.

However what would be really cool would be a minor farming overhaul, in instead of an irrigation zone, you can build a farm plot basically anywhere. However dry tiles are barren and needs to be worked on by a farmer/peasant instead of assigning the area beforehand a place to irrigate. This could also be extended to some levels of irrigation/land condition in which gets worse over time and needs to be refreshed for a season (basically making the farm take a rest and having dwarves prep the land.)

Although that might be more work than it's worth and adds even more micromanaging to the game (although farming is currently  prep and forget)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2010, 01:29:00 am »

Or we could have natural floods back. In fact there's at least one fort which does have natural floods - where the river in one biome freezes but doesn't freeze in the other biome, causing the river water in the other to back up and flood over, draining into the player's fort. :3
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23