Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 420579 times)

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #2655 on: April 14, 2011, 05:11:20 pm »

So a blood tendril, defined in the body_default.txt file should look something like this?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I assume that it will have the "wearing a mitten by default" issue others have noted, yes?
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: April 14, 2011, 05:17:04 pm »

Yes, it will be able to wear armour and such. You could get rid of GRASP and give it LIMB instead - not a perfect alternative, but it'll enable wrestling with it, at least.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: April 14, 2011, 05:19:42 pm »

Hmm, alright. Thanks for the help, 3.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: April 14, 2011, 09:51:06 pm »

How do you add a new skill?
You can't, the skills in the game are hardcoded. What you can do is use the following skills for your own purposes:

No use in Fortress mode
See here

No hardcoded use in Fortress mode
Animal caretaker (simply does not work, can be used for something else)
Soapmaker
Presser

As an added bonus, the three above come with a profession attached, so they can be renamed. DT will show these changes as well.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Xainiax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: April 15, 2011, 12:50:02 am »

How do you add a new skill?
You can't, the skills in the game are hardcoded. What you can do is use the following skills for your own purposes:
~stuff~

So just adding it into the entity file for dwarfs does nothing?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: April 15, 2011, 01:57:59 am »

[PERMITTED_JOB:<profession name>] allows an existing skill to be used by an entity, if that's what you're after.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: April 15, 2011, 03:11:08 am »

So I'm modding in a creature (huge rhino lizard - the bigger cousin of the two-legged rhino lizard!) with a "caustic bite" (I'm fairly sure caustic stuff melts your flesh off and shit). The idea comes from Komodo dragons, who have a very deadly bite because of all the bacteria that live in their mouth (really terribly personal hygiene, guys). This is obviously a bit more...visceral. I figure I could make it work as an injected poison, but how would I best simulate this? Really fast necrosis, fat melting off, what? And also how would I put this in?

On, another question. I want it to be able to grapple and wrestle with its tail. What tags should I put where to make this happen?

(P.S: Using the beak dog raws as a template for fun and profit.)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 03:16:30 am by Mister Always »
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: April 15, 2011, 03:39:27 am »

No, that's an old myth. Komodo dragons might have all sorts of unpleasant bacteria in their mouth, but they eat raw meat and don't brush their teeth, so that's pretty standard.

For a komodo-inspired creature with a flesh-melting bite, I would recommend a syndrome that kills with sustained bleeding. Local necrosis and perhaps local paralysis would cover the 'caustic bite', and dizziness and eventual unconsciousness would simulate the effects of blood loss.

Check out the modding guide and the syndrome pages on the wiki to get you started with modding those in.

colorthemap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: April 15, 2011, 10:45:51 pm »

I wish to make a  book mod, in which the books act like engravings and tell a story.

So two questions:

Is this possible?

AND

If it is, how would I make the descriptions?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: April 15, 2011, 10:58:10 pm »

The name would be the description and the story. The entry would go something like [NAME:book. It <description here>:books. They <description here>], and then the usual tags. I'm currently doing something similar. I haven't tested it to see how the insanely long name works out, but I'm expecting the sort of wierdness you get when a dwarf's name is long enough to run over the 'current job' column.

colorthemap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: April 16, 2011, 10:46:13 am »

So the way engravings are done, is not modifiable?  Because wouldn't it be possible to make a reaction that changed a item into a "engraved wall" with the graphic set of a book.  In which it would have the same effect, just in a portable fashion.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: April 16, 2011, 01:50:40 pm »

So I modded in a new civ race. And I know they exist in the game, because they appear in legend mode and the embark civs screen.

But they won't trade with me. Halp?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(i left in all my comments for mspa fans who might use this mod without much DF knowledge on the off chance they're affecting it somehow)
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: April 16, 2011, 02:18:10 pm »

So the way engravings are done, is not modifiable?  Because wouldn't it be possible to make a reaction that changed a item into a "engraved wall" with the graphic set of a book.  In which it would have the same effect, just in a portable fashion.
You could make a tool called 'engraved wall' and have it be the component of a workshop, which is as far as I know the only way you'll get to have a building material with what amounts to a description. I don't know if workshops can be made completely impassable (which I should get around to testing, as I'm planning on using them as barriers), but if they can't then you'd have to make a 2x2 or greater workshop with an L-shaped impassable area.

Engraving is a process that's applied to certain terrain tiles, and as such is not particularly easy to fake. There is no way to get your dwarves to write the history of their particular world on anything but unmined stone.

Tigrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: April 16, 2011, 02:35:35 pm »

I'm trying to make one reaction that takes 10 boulders of metal ore and produces 10 bars of that metal.  This is what I have come up with so far:

[REACTION:BLAST_SMELTING]
[NAME:blast smelting]
[BUILDING:BLAST_FURNACE:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:10:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:NO_MATGLOSS]
[REAGENT:B:900:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:10:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]
[AUTOMATIC]
[SKILL:SMELT]

Except GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT won't work with inorganics for some bizarre reason.  Is there some other way to do this without just making a bunch of different reactions to handle each type of metal I want to do this with?

colorthemap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: April 16, 2011, 03:48:26 pm »

Alas I'll wait for Toady to do it for me.  Thanks for the help.
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 357