Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 420531 times)

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #2685 on: April 19, 2011, 04:44:21 pm »

Is clay hardcoded, or would adding
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:FIRED_MAT:INORGANIC:{material name here}]
to a custom soil layer allow said layer to be collected like clay?
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Xainiax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: April 19, 2011, 07:36:54 pm »

its not hard coded so that would work

also all materials are not hard coded

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: April 19, 2011, 07:50:45 pm »

No problems with this reaction right?

[REACTION:FLESH_REFINING]
[NAME:refine raw flesh]
[BUILDING:FLESH_REACTOR:NONE]
   [REAGENT:A:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [USE_BODY_COMPONENT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WINDOW:NONE:GLASS_CRYSTAL:NONE]
[SKILL:ALCHEMY]
Well, it's going to take any corpse piece regardless of material, not just flesh. You might want to add [UNROTTEN] unless your alchemists can also use rotten flesh.

As intended then. Thanks!
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: April 19, 2011, 08:00:30 pm »

My mistake; I had meant to ask whether or not specific materials were hard coded to be collectible like clay, or if it was specifically having that token that made them collectible. I knew the materials themselves weren't hard coded.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: April 19, 2011, 08:08:42 pm »

My mistake; I had meant to ask whether or not specific materials were hard coded to be collectible like clay, or if it was specifically having that token that made them collectible. I knew the materials themselves weren't hard coded.

It's the token.  I remember modding all of the layers with the word "sand" in them to be collectible for glass making.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: April 19, 2011, 08:45:39 pm »

Excellent. Thanks very much to both of you!

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
  • It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: April 20, 2011, 12:24:51 am »

How do you select claws for Dragons? There's a line in the raws that goes
Code: [Select]
[BODY:QUADRUPED:TAIL:2EYES:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:[b]4TOES_FQ:4TOES_RQ[/b]:MOUTH:GENERIC_TEETH_WITH_LARGE_EYE_TEETH:RIBCAGE]
so I assumed that the toes were their claws and tried to replace the material with steel (for !!SCIENCE!!, of course):
[SELECT_TISSUE:TOE]
     [TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:STEEL]
except it doesn't seem to work (arena testing w/ bronze colossus still has their claws "glancing away").

Please help? Thanks!
"That is the most amazing thing I have ever read ever."
- Friend's reaction to Bronzemurder

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: April 20, 2011, 02:30:49 am »

How do you select claws for Dragons? There's a line in the raws that goes
[BODY:QUADRUPED:TAIL:2EYES:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:[b]4TOES_FQ:4TOES_RQ[/b]:MOUTH:GENERIC_TEETH_WITH_LARGE_EYE_TEETH:RIBCAGE]
so I assumed that the toes were their claws and tried to replace the material with steel (for !!SCIENCE!!, of course):
[SELECT_TISSUE:TOE]
except it doesn't seem to work (arena testing w/ bronze colossus still has their claws "glancing away").

Please help? Thanks!

Yes, "toe" is a body part and not a tissue.  When you are telling it "[SELECT_TISSUE:TOE]," it is looking for an actual tissue named "TOE" and not the tissue on the body part.  Obviously, it's not finding it, so it's throwing that token out rather than doing what you want it to do.

Spoiler: Try this. (click to show/hide)

Hopefully this works.  If not, I'll have a look at it again when I'm not so tired.

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: April 20, 2011, 02:58:42 am »

Yes, "toe" is a body part and not a tissue.  When you are telling it "[SELECT_TISSUE:TOE]," it is looking for an actual tissue named "TOE" and not the tissue on the body part.  Obviously, it's not finding it, so it's throwing that token out rather than doing what you want it to do.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hopefully this works.  If not, I'll have a look at it again when I'm not so tired.
Unfortunately this did not work. Thank you for the education though :)

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: April 20, 2011, 03:14:50 am »

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:CLAW:NAIL_TEMPLATE]
   [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:CLAW:CLAW_TEMPLATE]
   [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:TOE:CLAW:FRONT]

These tokens are causing the problems.  Give me a little while and I'll have it figured out - unfortunately, I'm not the most familiar with creature raws compared to some others.

EDIT:  Alright, I went in and added the following...

This seems to work, but doesn't seem to make the claws much more effective against a bronze colossus, though this was, admittedly, difficult to test.  The damn colossus would usually either kill the dragon before it attacked or would melt before it got to the dragon.  The few instances where I got the dragon to actually, you know, claw at it, the attack still glanced away.  I am a little bit puzzled as to why this happened, but I suspect there is more to damage calculations than material alone.  Hopefully someone with a bit better knowledge of creature raws can enlighten us both on what's going on here.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 03:51:23 am by narhiril »

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: April 20, 2011, 04:37:34 pm »

So the template for the claw has to be modified before any changes can be seen...thank you.

The reason I thought that a bronze colossus would be a good test is because I added this to the raws as well, to mod the dragon's teeth:
[SELECT_TISSUE:TOOTH]
and any time the dragon would bite the colossus parts of the bronze would either chip or fracture instead of "glancing away".

The code for both the bite and [GRASP_STRIKE] (which is used for clawing) are basically the same in terms of potential damage, I think:
so it doesn't seem to be the skill that's affecting damage.

EDIT: Tried giving the material Adamantine properties, but the attacks were still glancing away.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 05:00:45 pm by sir_laser »

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: April 20, 2011, 05:24:49 pm »

So the template for the claw has to be modified before any changes can be seen...thank you.

The reason I thought that a bronze colossus would be a good test is because I added this to the raws as well, to mod the dragon's teeth:
[SELECT_TISSUE:TOOTH]
and any time the dragon would bite the colossus parts of the bronze would either chip or fracture instead of "glancing away".

The code for both the bite and [GRASP_STRIKE] (which is used for clawing) are basically the same in terms of potential damage, I think:
so it doesn't seem to be the skill that's affecting damage.

EDIT: Tried giving the material Adamantine properties, but the attacks were still glancing away.

If I had to guess, I would say that the bronze colossus is nearly impervious to damage because it isn't made of anything else.  There are no organs or underlying tissues, so a part is either severed (quite a feat) or barely scratched.  Playing around with a clone of the bronze colossus, but modded with some underlying tissues similar to iron men, it was much less durable.

I think the modification you made is working, just the test subject is deceptively tough.  I imagine (purely speculative) that this is why Toady chose to make the statue out of bronze - to make magma a viable option for fighting them.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: April 20, 2011, 05:32:46 pm »

I always found a good way to test natural weapon materiel against metals is to pit two of the same creatures against eachother, both outfitted in full armor (yes in arena mode, anything can wear armor) of the materiel you want it to be stronger then.  Then control one of them.

If the attacks cut through the armor reasonably often your probably good.  There can be other issues but that is a good way to test such things. For example, in this case, I believe clawing attacks are significantly less powerful than bites.  The claw might simply not be long enough to fully cut through the metal.  But you won't be sure until testing happens.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: April 20, 2011, 06:46:34 pm »

I always found a good way to test natural weapon materiel against metals is to pit two of the same creatures against eachother, both outfitted in full armor (yes in arena mode, anything can wear armor) of the materiel you want it to be stronger then.  Then control one of them.

If the attacks cut through the armor reasonably often your probably good.  There can be other issues but that is a good way to test such things. For example, in this case, I believe clawing attacks are significantly less powerful than bites.  The claw might simply not be long enough to fully cut through the metal.  But you won't be sure until testing happens.

This was attempted. The dragons were able to basically bypass iron armor ("...through the iron helm!" or "...through the iron greaves!", etc), bronze, and steel. They were also able to hit through adamantine fairly frequently (~60-80% of the time).

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: April 20, 2011, 07:45:58 pm »

Actually all glasses are hardcoded.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 357