Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 421677 times)

Wavecutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2010, 09:33:45 am »

Thanks for this thread. If you'd like to see what I'm hatching:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

is there some sort of repository of creature modifiers and such?

Corrected the all caps.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 02:01:55 pm by Wavecutter »
We farm and kill mermaid children. Its too late to worry about political correctness.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2010, 12:48:11 pm »

Why is your description capitalized?

Why do you quote yourself?

Do you mean the creature tokens? They are all on http://df.magmawiki.com .
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Wavecutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2010, 01:53:09 pm »

Thanks for pointing out that error.

Yeah, didn't mean to just quote without text.

As for tokens, I feel like I'm missing some important info. For example, the token [VERMIN_EATER] what can be eaten? what can replace vermin and not break the syntax? Can I make [DWARF_EATER] or [FUNGIWOOD_EATER]?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 02:02:38 pm by Wavecutter »
We farm and kill mermaid children. Its too late to worry about political correctness.

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2010, 02:10:10 pm »

As for tokens, I feel like I'm missing some important info. For example, the token [VERMIN_EATER] what can be eaten? what can replace vermin and not break the syntax? Can I make [DWARF_EATER] or [FUNGIWOOD_EATER]?
[vermin_eater] makes whatever creature behave like a default/vanilla cat

Wavecutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2010, 02:13:00 pm »

So, is that the only way that tag can be used?

Irrational

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2010, 02:13:56 pm »

Does anyone know if in the entity raws, you can make jobs or noble positions caste specific, with the castes being the ones in the creature raws? I'm going to be messing with it a bit, but if anyone already knows, that would be sweet.

It seems that the caste-related tags are not going to work in the entity files. I assume that the [Permitted_Job] tag is likewise not going to work in the creature files. Oh well.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 03:33:44 pm by Irrational »
A dwarven Architect can and will build an unbalanced skyscraper from lead with only a single supporting column at ground level on top of sand.

Truly the greatest minds of this world.

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2010, 10:29:42 pm »

Yes. The tags are hard-coded for the most part, so putting something besides VERMIN in there would cause problems. Right now, no creatures besides the ones in a player fortress (i.e. dwarves, but even then only those in an active fortress) actually eat anything, or require food for that matter. [VERMIN_EATER] is the closest something can get, and all that really does is make the creature hunt and kill vermin like the cats.
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2010, 11:19:33 pm »

Haha, just putting the finishing touches on my tiger men! All sorts of things to worry about, but at least the women are dresses decently and the men don't go around in mankinis.

So, I'm planning to move them out of there easily tested citys and into hard to find caves, but I'm wondering, will they still claim territory like other races, and get into wars, or do they then fade into obscurity?

Apart from that, I want them to have fur rather then hair, thought it would be a walk in the park until I found there WAS no fur, everything had hair (I might go the long yards and change a lot of creatures in this mod I'm working on) so I'm trying to make my own. Would this work?

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2010, 04:26:43 am »

i did the same, "make" a fur template and it works too. i don't know, my version "feels" better to me.
fur is designed for insulation so i doubled instead of 1.5 like you did. also sorta makes sense that stronger animals have thicker stronger fur so added the tag that muscles use but with base thickness of normal hair and skin. yes fur scars, notice how some animals that recovered from a serous gash or something have a pissing patch of fur where the skin also scar'ed?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2010, 04:48:13 am »

Well yes, scars DO leave marks, but it would seem a little strange to me to read a creatures bio and hear about how some scars are on its skin, and some are on its fur, so rather I'm happy to hear about the scars on its skin and know that it will show on there fur.

Each to there own though, that's what modding is about!

I also improved the insulation from hair, but only by 50%.
As for thickens with strength, I don't want ultra strong lionmen to have fur a meter thick and something else that should have long fur to be slim.

Apart from that, for some reason I can now get the game to crash when I try for a description, so I must have edited the creature wrong.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 17, 2010, 06:22:19 am »

Yes. The tags are hard-coded for the most part, so putting something besides VERMIN in there would cause problems. Right now, no creatures besides the ones in a player fortress (i.e. dwarves, but even then only those in an active fortress) actually eat anything, or require food for that matter. [VERMIN_EATER] is the closest something can get, and all that really does is make the creature hunt and kill vermin like the cats.

Sigh

[VERMIN_EATER] gives a vermin the ability to eat your food, it's [VERMINHUNTER] that gives it cat behaviour (it also makes them adopt dwarves, and I think a few other things that escape me at the minute).

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 17, 2010, 07:15:32 am »

Darn this! For some reason my fur doesn't agree with my chestless humanoid body! I can't figure out why the program likes it when they have a chest, but then I remove that tag from the body part and it crashes the game when I try for a description of the animal. I know I'm needs, but still, here is the code if you think you can crack this one.

The creature

The male body

And the fur

The only thing I can think of is that the code NEEDS a tag to define what body part is for what, so everything needs a tag for [limb] or [head] or something along those lines, but my upper body doesn't have any. So is there a default one I can use so I don't have my men using helmets or gloves on there torso?

But on closer inspection this can not be the case, because the necks in the 7 necks body part don't need this tag, so it is optional for equipping stuff.

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2010, 11:33:46 am »

The creature

this will get the fur to work:

then about the "thicken_on_strength", fur isn't like metal or leather O.o and muscle isn't that solid unless the creature is above 2500 in strength. a thickness 1 that gets to thickness 2 (actually it's unsure what the thickens_on tags really do...) isn't that much of a change.
then again thanks for counter explaining the scars thing  :)  i'll have to remove that tag from mine then to make more sense in both "worlds"

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2010, 12:22:49 pm »

[vermin_eater] makes whatever creature behave like a default/vanilla cat

[verminhunter] is the cats trait

vermin_eater determines that this vermin will eat stuff in your stockpile (thus getting attracted there and killed from your kittens)
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2010, 01:37:32 pm »

HAHA!
Another step closer! The rough diamond is being shaped, but it seems that while the cutter was working on that, the miner of my imagination has found more precious gems that must be embedded into my mod!

The entitys seem to e doing VERY well. I have them set up so that some with sometimes go to war with each other and/or the dwarfs, without having any of them snatch babies or steal things. Although testing is annoying when there are several races all using the same structure in the same place.

What makes it worse is when you find that it was in fact humans that have taken over the site... Then you don't get to check in on any race! But at least it is reassuring that humans are also waging war on the newbys.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 357