Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 421618 times)

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #165 on: April 26, 2010, 08:40:57 am »

Keep on looking then. Creatures which can't swin just float where they spawned, looking dolefully at the other creatures enjoying themselves. I don't think trees will grow underwater, but feel free to experiment.

I had an awesome idea which I wanted to share, but now I've forgotten - so I'm reserving this post in case I remember

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 26, 2010, 08:53:32 am »

You should be able to have a plant grow underwater by changing the drownlevel tags.  I don't remember their exact syntax though, and they aren't used in vanilla raws. I think it's just something like [DROWN_LEVEL:x] With x being the water depth. 8 might make it never die from water.

This is going off 40d info however, and even back in 40d it wasn't well known.  All I think there was was a little blurb mentioning the tags in the string dump at the end of the plant or tree page of the wiki.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 26, 2010, 09:00:17 am »

Oh really? Well I'll be. I might give that a shot.

MTJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 26, 2010, 09:05:59 am »

Strange mood and shells in an area with no turtles or cavelobsters.

How can I mod this in(creating shells in a workshop)? I've searched the forums and found a lot of answers but all of them gives me an error in the log file (I'm modifying an existing save, by replacing the bituminous to coke reaction in reaction_smelter.txt)

I know for sure that the tags I use are wrong, because the reaction worked when I copy pasted tags for creating some ore in it. So which is the correct tags to use; I've tried atleast:
[PRODUCT:100:1:CORPSEPIECE:SHELL:CREATURE_MAT:TURTLE:SHELL] and
[PRODUCT:100:1:SHELL:NO_SUBTYPE:TURTLE:NO_MATGLOSS]

or do I also have to edit some other file than reaction_smelter.txt.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 09:10:55 am by MTJ »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2010, 09:07:35 am »

so far you can get trees underwater in caverns which would block some water pathways.
but the hurdle you need to get pass is getting the ability to do work in water. I say from a wild guess that toady coded in a cancel labor if while over set amount of water. I don't know c++ nor hex editing to find such of code that explains if that's true or there another part to that.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 26, 2010, 09:13:47 am »

Yeah, pretty much. A dwarves number one priority is "get out of water/magma", and their number two priority is "if unable to leave water float there and sulk". Everything else is ancillary.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 26, 2010, 10:54:18 am »

so far you can get trees underwater in caverns which would block some water pathways.
but the hurdle you need to get pass is getting the ability to do work in water. I say from a wild guess that toady coded in a cancel labor if while over set amount of water. I don't know c++ nor hex editing to find such of code that explains if that's true or there another part to that.

If this were the case, might coral be possible?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 26, 2010, 11:44:49 am »

I've always been getting mixed messages from the trees growing underwater thing.

So many people complaining of trees growing in their channels blocking flow, but according to Toady a while ago inside the FOTF thread the default value for trees dying in water is functioning correctly.

I donno what actually happens anymore.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 26, 2010, 01:59:47 pm »

Okay, nice to know there's some people smarter than me.

So, I decided to move my lazy ass and convert my Little Mod to new version. I thought 'Hmm, rocks and metals and stuff first, it will be easy'.

I failed. Can someone explain me all this?:

Code: [Select]
[MOLAR_MASS:55845]
[IMPACT_YIELD:1080000]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:1080000]
[IMPACT_ELASTICITY:635]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:1080000]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:1080000]
[COMPRESSIVE_ELASTICITY:635] bulk modulus 170 GPa
[TENSILE_YIELD:130000]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:200000]
[TENSILE_ELASTICITY:62] young's modulus 211 GPa
[TORSION_YIELD:130000]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:200000]
[TORSION_ELASTICITY:159]
[SHEAR_YIELD:130000]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:200000]
[SHEAR_ELASTICITY:159] shear modulus 82 GPa
[BENDING_YIELD:130000]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:200000]
[BENDING_ELASTICITY:62]
[MAX_EDGE:10000]

(Values taken from Iron)

What I need:
A) What I have to change to make metal sharper (more lethal weapons)?
B) What I have to change to make metal harder (more resistant armor)?
C) What I have to change to make metal heavier?

I'm completely clueless, because my knowledge of Scientific English is equal to zero. An explanation of 'what that WORD_WORD' means will also be appreciated.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 26, 2010, 02:13:43 pm »

Tensile properties:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensile_strength
Compression stuff:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressive_strength

Etc. Wikipedia is your friend :).

What I have to change to make metal sharper (more lethal weapons)
MAX_EDGE is a major factor. The numbers in "WORD_WORD" are quite arbitrary and we do not know how real are the Toady One's formulas, so you have to use common physics to guess it.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 26, 2010, 02:24:23 pm »

Ye Morul, wikipedia have even more strange and completely unknown to me words that DF raws :P

Oh well, time to grab the dictionary... if it will be of any help. Never learned about Physics in english...
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2010, 02:34:38 pm »

C) What I have to change to make metal heavier?

Bringing up the [SOLID_DENSITY:...] and [LIQUID_DENSITY:...] numbers should make it heavier.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRESSES_BUTTONS:RED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2010, 02:39:33 pm »

I don't what the numbers mean, other than I can confirm that a larger number is equal to more.

However, I can give you the actual meaning of each of the WORD_WORD tags.

[MOLAR_MASS] refers to the Molar Mass of an object (how 'bout that!), which is, for instance, 1mol. This is an arbitrarily large number of molecules. That said, the meaning of this tag, being just an odd way of describing mass, will most likely translate to the weight of the item.

Now, these three should be explained separately:
[_YIELD]
[_FRACTURE]
[_ELASTICITY]
What I remember from my my sciences classes, what these values correspond to is the minimum force applied to achieve that effect. When the yield number is exceeded, the object will deform. Bent swords, if you will. I think this mainly determines denting in skin and armour and such?

When the fracture value is exceeded, the object will break, snap, whatever. If the yield and fracture values are the same, it will break, but no bending will occur, when that point is reached, and if they are different but the force exceeds the fracture point, it will still just break.

The elasticity value determines, if you will, the object's ability to absorb the force in question by moving with it. Thus it is a defensive value.

Let's bring it all together with a completely made up example (which may or may not be an accurate model of the game's physics):
Let's say you apply a force to your object, which has a yield value of 1M (one million), a fracture value of 2M, and an elasticity of 1K (one thousand). Your force is 2.01M, thus exceeding the fracture value. Normally, this means the object will break. However, let's suppose that this elasticity is enough to reduce your effective force to 1.99M, the object will merely bend or dent. Thus, elasticity forms a buffer against the full force of an attack.

Okay, now the types (yeah for a basic (AND I MEAN BASIC) engineering class!):

(Note, a mathematically impenetrable article on wikipedia called: Stress (Mechanics)  - discusses exactly how these work. I'm just giving you guys the simplified explanation I got.)

[IMPACT] - This refers to blunt force delivered instantly. As in, two objects colliding.  A hammer blow.
[COMPRESSIVE] - This refers to blunt force delivered over a long time in the center. I can't think of an in-game example, but a real world example would be leaving an anvil on top of of your sword. Wikipedia provides another example: Holding up a roof tends to shorten columns over time due to compression.
[TENSILE] - This refers to stretching force. A spider's silk has the highest tensile strength, supposedly, known to man. It can hold more weight from one end than anything else.
[TORSION] - This refers to twisting force. Doing that thing where you grip someone's arm tightly and pull their skin in two different directions. May also affect the difficulty of ripping someone's head off by twisting. . .
[SHEAR] - This is force applied in two different directions.
Like so (the arrows are force, the | is urist mcdeadguy):
->|
  |<-
[BENDING] - Exactly as it sounds, this is when something thin and easily misshapen (like a bar) has stress applied to one end, causing it to bend.

Therefore, the three values determine what the minimum force applied to an object needs to be to reach a certain result.
Bones and Adamantine are very BRITTLE. This is accomplished by having very low elasticity. However, these are also absurdly tough, no? It isn't cut and dry.
[BENDING]
Does anyone else find my avatar looks crooked?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2010, 02:43:55 pm »

Oooooh, thanks TT! That will help a damn lot :D

*gives a cookie made from milled children, salt and kitten fat*
SigFlags!

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRESSES_BUTTONS:RED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2010, 02:59:57 pm »

*Nom* No worries. *Om*

Now if only anyone could help me with my little issue a ways up the page.
Does anyone else find my avatar looks crooked?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 357