Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28

Author Topic: Weapon research  (Read 148389 times)

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon research
« Reply #330 on: September 15, 2010, 08:06:29 pm »

I have to say that with the obsidian sword bug fixed I am definitely interested in seeing how that performs.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 16, 2010, 04:38:07 pm »

I have posted the simulator in the OP. I'm still working on the evaluator, but this way ppl can already start and maybe use their own tools or just get a head start until the evaluator is ready (some tests can take some time).
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 16, 2010, 05:23:56 pm »

Am I reading that right? Do silver hammers actually get 80 percent hits and do mostly moderate damage against adamantine armor?

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 16, 2010, 05:27:51 pm »

Am I reading that right? Do silver hammers actually get 80 percent hits and do mostly moderate damage against adamantine armor?

Not necessarily.

I did a few short tests in .13  with two adamantium-clad dwarves wielding steel warhammers in the arena. (Adamantium values of 5,000,000 in the raw were all modded down to 4,000,000 because I heard that the five million ones make it unmineable. This makes the tested adamantine weaker than the unmodded one)

The difference between the fighters was that one was a grandmaster armour user, while the other was unskilled in armour use. For the grandmaster, his adamantine armour reliably deflected the steel warhammers, while for the dabbler, every hit bruised something. Thus, armour use is much more important than I thought. Also, all kills on the grandmasters were headshots. I assume they hit the area left unprotected by the helmet. Since I cannot make adamantine hoods in the arena, I cannot test that theory.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 17, 2010, 02:18:05 am »

They do for hammerer:proficient and armor user:proficient. I haven't tested with other skills. Skilltesting would be interesting as well, and maybe someone will do it, once the evaluator is ready.
99 barrels of beer!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 17, 2010, 08:54:52 am »

im testing obsidian sword now,in the arena.
there not sharp(there low weight may not help matters)soplane wood is better right now.

weapon reaction (based/for on Wanderer's Friend)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 09:07:13 am by Funk »
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 29, 2010, 08:42:11 pm »

Maces and shortswords seem like poor cousins to warhammers and battleaxes, which seem to do a better job in their damage categories.  Do they have other intrinsic qualities that help in other ways?

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 29, 2010, 08:44:17 pm »

does speed play into it?  ie, can they attack more frequently than the larger weapons?  If so, then a swarm of steel shortswords in skilled hands would could get more hits in the same amount of time than a steel battle axe.  This would make a larger difference against more heavily armored enemies where shots can be deflected.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 29, 2010, 09:33:53 pm »

I assume from these changes we can infer some things about trap components?  Perhaps bronze serrated disks aren't the (cheap) god-trap now against iron clad goblins?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 09:58:47 pm by slothen »
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 30, 2010, 03:59:06 am »

does speed play into it?  ie, can they attack more frequently than the larger weapons?  If so, then a swarm of steel shortswords in skilled hands would could get more hits in the same amount of time than a steel battle axe.  This would make a larger difference against more heavily armored enemies where shots can be deflected.
The wiki says yes.

I'm still working on the log-parser from time to time, but to be honest, I don't really see a way to generalize it, yet.
99 barrels of beer!

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 07, 2010, 12:00:32 am »

You still need to remember the damages different weapons offer. Swords are more of a slashing attack, minor piercing. Hammers have bludgeon, while axes have all three. As for armor, look back at Romes Legions.Ever wonder why they moved from bronze armor to iron? As for maces, weapon speed was faster than a hammers. Still also take into account a weapons ability to hold a edge, or a sharp point, after repeated strikes.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 07, 2010, 12:25:24 am »

As for armor, look back at Romes Legions.Ever wonder why they moved from bronze armor to iron?

Iron was cheap and plentiful. Tin and copper, not so much, and never in the same locations.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 07, 2010, 12:32:06 am »

Most of the tin in the ancient west was imported from the Tin Isles, aka Britain.  That's a LONG, EXPENSIVE journey.  Couple this with how hard it is to make bronze mail as compared to iron and you've got your iron-prevalence.  Iron was never a more effective weapon (Blunt weapons excluded, of course.  Look at how well the Illyrians did with stone clubs.) or armor material.

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 04, 2010, 09:23:02 am »

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what materials do better for Crossbow bolts? Also, is there any benefit to using leather armor?

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 04, 2010, 02:06:15 pm »

Silver, copper and bronze bolts all performed well for me without a clear winner. Interestingly, the order was reversed compared to blunt weapons: Silver being strongest against flesh, bronze against armour. Iron, steel and admantine performed poorly.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28