Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1228280 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

keep getting GELATINOUS_CUBE:Attack BURN seems to have correct format but could not find proper BPs in any caste, so not added
Yeah, I failed to check my errorlog before putting out that sub-release. To make the nag go away, [ATTACK:BURN:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:BODY_LOWER] (they were invulnerable with thinking-onepartbody)

ps. had a adventurer crash, that's rare. Ambushed by giant sandworm.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 07:19:04 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

How do I use the adventure crafting features?

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, can an adventurer acquire items from display cases?
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

Here's the info about adventurer crafting:
So im trying to weave thread, and im on a plant, I try to use the skill, but it says I cant. The same similar thing happens with rocks. Can I get some advice?
Adventurer mode, right? You can't get plants and trees from the world in adv.mode. Not boulders either.

Basic rock knapping (sharp rock) is told in http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Adventurer_mode#Adventure_Mode_Skills
Genesis adv. crafting: http://df-genesis.wikidot.com/adventure-crafting
"Weave thread from plants --- Reagent: any plant Product: plant thread Description: Makes thread out of plants. Make sure to get the reagent in your hands or on the ground under you. Note that any plant can be used to make a generic "thread", however only those which provide thread in fortress mode provide a real named "thread" material item.
So first gather plants from "thin air", on any square. Then have plant in hand, or at your feet, and weave.

Giving sounds to civilizations...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So, what sounds should ech civ have? Gave sylvans a whistle instead of warcry. Which civ should make armor clanking sounds? Should desert elves be quieter than other civs? Some elf civ sing war songs?

Hey, can an adventurer acquire items from display cases?
Probably not. It's a constructed part of a workshop.

Edit3: Tuning the people sounds...
Example:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 04:42:20 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile

hey could there be playable civs other than dwarves each with different workshops catering to their kind?
like a workshop that takes in corpses and turns it into meaty armor for goblins?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

hey could there be playable civs other than dwarves each with different workshops catering to their kind? like a workshop that takes in corpses and turns it into meaty armor for goblins?
Yes, there could be. I'm not making ten workshops and their reactions and graphics for goblins. Someone else could. Might be slightly interesting to try a serpentfolk fort.

What, Meat Dress armor? Reaction: bodypart into meat bars (a FleshForge operator Glues Meat into Meat Shields) I think seven layers of leather would be better than Pig Carcass Platemail.
We don't even have padded armor made of 3-inch thick Felt. Or leather+bones armor. Or rock plates in leather armor front pockets...

Edit: tuning more based on my adventurer experiences... fffffoes should die sooner than current, when a demigod stabs and punches them repeatedly. Adjusting mace and halberd and bardiche numbers...
If a demigod no-armor human can't survive bogeymen... and bogeymen are quite uneditable... should boost all editable humanoids? I just change death-by-bleeding to a little bit sooner.

Great demigod keeper of mine finally died, to brook troll mob.

Hmm I have no reason not to post today's "daily version". http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8967397/Genesis_3.25dTT_Ironhand_CuNi_adv_sounds_June5b.zip
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 06:09:35 pm by TomiTapio »

Cave Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I ask these questions Deon a week ago, but he is very busy, so I translated them into English as I could and ask them to you.

1) Without a Genesis mod I find magma at 130-160 m level, as found in Genesis 5. That I was so lucky or a feature of mod? Variety of resources are also smaller - on my current map, in the idea at the start were fluxes, metals (platinum and gold only). Thank you for Sun Gold.
2) By the way, maybe need to reduce the price of the components of the traps, and something I'm selling a masterpiece serrated disc of the Sun Gold 90 000, and Master - for 37,000. Not much? The rest of the industry does not need any more.
3) And also suggest to consider how to balance the weaving industry. Actually why take the risk, getting to the caves for the web, if pig tail not so much his inferior in value. Now I do not reveal the cave, except FB nothing there to catch.
4) Giant moose are starving all the time. Even their children eat too much and they do not have enough pasture. If he is hungry, then at least the season will graze on the field, never to eat. We have to kill them immediately. Something to do with appetite.
5) Does the student skills in the learning rate?
6) Why are fighters, after a melee disappear nicknames (reset). Is it possible to avoid failure nicknames? This is impeding, because I write nicknames such as W1 Axe Jade and other marks. Constantly rewriting it is very annoying. I know that this is not particularly Genesis, but generally it possible to fix this?
7) How exactly does a psychiatrist. One gets the impression that he just messing around.
8 ) IMHO, the demons have to re balance - at the initial stage of the game, even before the first siege of goblins, they begin regular attack in large groups - 10-15. I think it is better somehow arrange their appearance to the complexity was growing gradually.
9) unique fighters illithids need more originality. For example for the Outpost is quite different in structure from the rest illithids. Maybe this should be ready-made tiles from Ironhand critters.png
Can fit something like this

10) Can you do to illithids flying in the air fell down, if losing consciousness? And somehow I have one stuck at the entrance near the block of ice. It was impossible to get him and the dwarves were frightened. Archers from time to time fell on him, so he was unconscious, but continued to fly.

11) Danger room (room with spears) in Genesis does not work? I mean, the period of repetition is very great. So conceived, or I do something wrong?
12) Keep brows in the forum, that the furnace is useless at the moment. Theoretically - a good thing, but for the sake of the steel (the more so because it is often not so much) to build it is meaningless. I have built, but it's worth already that year, never used.
13) I built a number of training dummies, attributed to them a few soldiers, and set a threshold for training from a professional to legendary level. However, newbie calm them to training. What's wrong?
14) Can I do so that dogs do not run away in the Burrow for the population on alert during the siege? And somehow, it turns out sense from them is not enough if the soldiers are all one, without them fighting. The only option now, close them somewhere outside the inlet and then let out, and even then, who knows will they fight or flee.
15) Is it possible to make that wild prey animals were not friends with wild herbivores, hunted them. And something I looked, most living creatures civilization "-1".
16) What characteristics are important for an alchemist?
17) Does it make sense to use platinum statue in the philosophical garden?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 01:05:23 am by Cave Man »

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1) ...Variety of resources are also smaller - on my current map, in the idea at the start were fluxes, metals (platinum and gold only). Thank you for Sun Gold.
The variety of resources on maps was intentionally made small by ToadyOne as a game decision. It's supposed to make trading with caravans more important. For those who have a problem with this, there's an option to adjust it. When generating a new world ("Create New World" from the menu), at the bottom of the customization menu players are given the opportunity to adjust the "Mineral Occurrence" by choosing Very Rare, Rare, Sparse, Frequent and Everywhere. Also, some tips for finding lots of metals, iron ore and coal:

2) By the way, maybe need to reduce the price of the components of the traps, and something I'm selling a masterpiece serrated disc of the Sun Gold 90 000, and Master - for 37,000. Not much? The rest of the industry does not need any more.
That's another balance issue in plain vanilla Dwarf Fortress. Producing masterpiece serrated disks for caravans is a time-honored tradition of making lots of dwarfbucks fast. But I suspect Toady may nerf that a bit later when he's further along his plans for the Caravan Arc. Personally, I like the option of making money fast. But if it feels like cheating, you could just choose to make something else and earn money more slowly.

3) And also suggest to consider how to balance the weaving industry. Actually why take the risk, getting to the caves for the web, if pig tail not so much his inferior in value. Now I do not reveal the cave, except FB nothing there to catch.
Good point. I second the motion to balance weaving and make the GCS Silk Farm industry profitable again, if only to give players an incentive to bold the caves and make a profit on silk.

I suspect Toady dropped the value of silk because, from what I read, the invading hordes of goblins and others used to bring in tons of silk clothing, which could be sold for a good profit. (That, and lots of players were doing the Silk Farm thing.) But some of use are of the opinion that the value was reduced too far. Perhaps silk itself could be modded so that it's rare and only dwarves (and perhaps one other race) could produce it, so invaders aren't likely to have any?

4) Giant moose are starving all the time. Even their children eat too much and they do not have enough pasture. If he is hungry, then at least the season will graze on the field, never to eat. We have to kill them immediately. Something to do with appetite.
It's not just the moose. All large grazing animals have this problem and the larger the beast the bigger the problem. It's so bad that Elephants and some other large ones can go extinct and players may not get to see any. Or they may rapidly eat up all the grass, so you have to send your military to kill them quickly to leave some grass for your pets.

The grass requirements of grazing animals is a new feature in Dwarf Fortress and, as such, it has balance issues. I'm sure ToadyOne will (eventually) get around to fixing it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 02:23:10 am by Thundercraft »

TuefelHundenIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Forget elephants Giant Capybaras are the scourge of my dwarves.  They readily bite off limbs or cause severe bleeding wounds bleeding out the hunters despite getting pretty shot up.  I have my hunters using stone tipped arrows.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They readily bite off limbs or cause severe bleeding wounds bleeding out the hunters despite getting pretty shot up.
In that case you many not like where Tomi is going in his latest daily build:
...If a demigod no-armor human can't survive bogeymen... and bogeymen are quite uneditable... should boost all editable humanoids? I just change death-by-bleeding to a little bit sooner.

Boosting all humanoids might be good, particularly if it means surviving more hits. But I hope that does not mean werewolves and other invading humanoids will inflict more damage in attacks.

Perhaps you could create another skin slightly above regular SKIN, but significantly less than TOUGHSKIN and give this "BUFFSKIN" to all humanoids? So it'd be like wearing leather armor. But then would you have to boost some of the armors to compensate?

There's always a trade-off, I guess. :( Must be hard for ToadyOne and mod creators to balance everything in a fun a realistic way.

We don't even have padded armor made of 3-inch thick Felt. Or leather+bones armor. Or rock plates in leather armor front pockets...
I kind of like the idea of leather+bone armor. And rock plate on leather armor.

I remember watching something on the History channel about "paper armor" made in Ancient China. Was supposed to be cheap (paper layered together with lots of resin to make it at least as strong as wood, then fashioned into plates and sewn onto leather), yet it could stop most arrows. Perhaps the Elves could make a leather+wood armor? (It would fit their ethics, since producing it means less of a burden on trees than wood armor.) It'd still be useful if it was made from a strong wood.

And I always thought it strange that bone, shell, and wood had such limited usage in armor and wearables. One should be able to make shoes out of just about any material. (The Dutch used to wear wooden clogs.) And, aside from the limited protection, why not allow the creation of bone or shell breast plates and other armor? If one thinks about it, a really large shell (particularly a turtle shell) should make a passable shield, esp. if it were reinforced with resin or some other processing or materials. But then, I suppose bone and shell materials are not strong enough in-game to be very useful without boosting that a bit.

Considering how rare weapons-grade metals are on a lot of embarks now, you'd think many Dwarf forts would have to learn to make do with local materials out of necessity. Then, when one considers how frequently sieges can come in Genesis and how often caravans get attacked...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 03:18:53 am by Thundercraft »

TuefelHundenIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You mean sort of like laminated paper layers?  Supposedly very thick wicker shields could do the same thing.  Layered and lacquered leather also supposedly made excellent armor.

A supposedly common European armor is like the Chinese paper with cloth for the layers in the armor it is resined together and sewn between pieces of leather.  Supposedly decent for stopping arrows fired from range.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 11:39:34 am by TuefelHundenIV »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

Forget elephants Giant Capybaras are the scourge of my dwarves.  They readily bite off limbs or cause severe bleeding wounds bleeding out the hunters despite getting pretty shot up.  I have my hunters using stone tipped arrows.
It seems the core of humanoid-vs-biting-creature combat is bite, latch on, then shaking tears off the limb. And shaking is proportional to the biter's size. For some creatures I've removed the latching-on part.
I got giant capybaras at 1000%, 450kg, and rodents are known for their Gnawing Through Concrete. Try metal armor versus those biting-optimized horses.
Also, elephants are wimps and they want to flee. However when you catch up to them, ivory battering ram to your face.

I enabled "bone high boots". Yep could make a "dwarf plastic reinforced leather" (leather mark 4) out of bones, leather, cloth, sinews. Should discuss with Deon about that.

TODO farmable/ranchable creature bred for its CHITIN.
Also... bone-reinforced chitin. leather-reinforced chitin. And then after those, one ought to make toughbone, toughleather versions of the aforementioned... too many combinations methinks.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 09:39:22 am by TomiTapio »

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I captured and tamed some spider types and scorpions from my cage trapped cavern entrances, I guess they could be used for chitin farming?  Not sure if they breed or not (mmmm spider eggs from the nest boxes?) as I killed off most of my creatures as I had about 150.  Giant ants have given me loads of chitin as well I think, maybe 30?  They'd maybe make more sense a farm animal too.  Or ant people, a slave race kept pitted so dwarves can armour themselves using their skin.  Good times.

Spider mounts that can climb cavern walls, make it happen Tomi!  Although I think it's been asked before and it's not possible, it's flying or nothing?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

1) Without a Genesis mod I find magma at 130-160 m level, as found in Genesis 5. That I was so lucky or a feature of mod? Variety of resources are also smaller - on my current map, in the idea at the

Now I do not reveal the cave, except FB nothing there to catch.
What is "130-160m level", I have no idea as it is map dependant. Top right corner ranging usually from "+2" to 0-surface to "-60" on me. My -20 is "125" in this map.
If you have no cavern layers, magma is around level -15. Three cavern layers, between -32 and -65. I find the "height from sea level" numbers less useful than "levels below surface".

Caves have: food plants, trees, tameable beasts, easy-combat Mud Snake and Red Frog for meat and skin...

TuefelHundenIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That explains the vorpal capybaras :P

Death by Giant Guinea Pigs the Terrors of the wet lands.  Dragon raptors are kind of nasty too but those critters are not as common as the Capy's.  Maybe I should draft my archers into the military and armor them up and set them wearing their armor all the time.  On duty and off.
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 642