Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 483 484 [485] 486 487 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1228286 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

I have hit bitumin like 2 of 30 embarks, says my logs.
Current Bitu [ENVIRONMENT:SEDIMENTARY:VEIN:70]
[ENVIRONMENT:SEDIMENTARY:CLUSTER:32]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:SANDSTONE:VEIN:30]
but I guess it competes with metals in the current mineral-scarcity system. I can adjust it to be more frequent, for today's release.

3) And also suggest to consider how to balance the weaving industry. Actually why take the risk, getting to the caves for the web, if pig tail not so much his inferior in value. Now I do not reveal the cave, except FB nothing there to catch.
Good point. I second the motion to balance weaving and make the GCS Silk Farm industry profitable again, if only to give players an incentive to bold the caves and make a profit on silk.
I suspect Toady dropped the value of silk because, from what I read, the invading hordes of goblins and others used to bring in tons of silk clothing, which could be sold for a good profit. (That, and lots of players were doing the Silk Farm thing.) But some of use are of the opinion that the value was reduced too far. Perhaps silk itself could be modded so that it's rare and only dwarves (and perhaps one other race) could produce it, so invaders aren't likely to have any?
Problem is, your most valuable items are the arachna silk clothes on your moron-domple citizens... So I have reduced CGS silk value to "4".
can not mod it to be rarer. What can do, is add SEVERAL low-cost silks to cause it to be used less often.

4) Giant moose are starving all the time.
It's not just the moose. All large grazing animals have this problem and the larger the beast the bigger the problem.
The grass requirements of grazing animals is a new feature in Dwarf Fortress and, as such, it has balance issues. I'm sure ToadyOne will (eventually) get around to fixing it.
I have tuned so the elephants [GRAZER:32] can survive in a soil-layer cave. But pretty useless as war elephants because of the grazing requirement.
(giant moose female 38, male 30) ok i can adjust some, 34 new "max grazing" incl mammoth

TODO farmable/ranchable creature bred for its CHITIN.
Done "plains beetle 12kg", push and nausea spray and "cave beetle 30kg", bite and severe nausea&pain spray.

Now E3 live coverage....
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 11:54:18 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bit stuck, what is the 'Witchhunter' skill for keepers used with? I think it might be a weapon skill, but I can't find it.

EDIT: Found it, got notepad++ to search through the genesis raws folder. Should plural 'yeoman' be 'yeomen' instead of 'yeomans'?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 12:04:01 pm by Samohan25 »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

It's just profession renaming for flavor,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It does make it a little harder to choose a keeper adventurer. Writing documentation is not my cup of tea, and some things should be left to be surprises (like which creatures are super deadly)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 02:47:57 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

'Harmless Minnows' + Genesis Newbie

First fortress lost because of them. Fun times :)

Still confused by the 'Yeomans', but thanks for the help.

EDIT: Nevermind, missed that bit by accident.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 01:26:19 pm by Samohan25 »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

This test embark turned out interesting. volcano, and dark dwarves in the cavern. Brand new pentlandite iron/nickel ore too.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8967397/tomis-current-region20-ironhand-volcano-darkdorf.zip

Spider mounts that can climb cavern walls, make it happen Tomi!  Although I think it's been asked before and it's not possible, it's flying or nothing?
No climbing possible, only flier or non-flier. But inside caverns, can use flier tag to crudely simulate climb-over-your-walls. (Manera crawler)
Don't think giant ants would be domesticable, as they are queen-centered. I added two beetle species, docile, with chemical spray defense (like skunks).

ps. I walked on some Rapakivi Granite stairs yesterday, and they were indeed nicer than regular granite.

Edit: two latest test embarks' mineral-strikings: [MINERAL_SCARCITY:650] worldgen

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 03:54:06 pm by TomiTapio »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

Oops almost forgot, here's today's "release":
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8967397/Genesis_3.25dTT_Ironhand_CuNi_adv_sounds_June6.zip
with more Lignite and BituCoal. Moose Men more aggressive. And yesterday's sounds-for-adventurers.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I enabled "bone high boots".
Nice!
Yep could make a "dwarf plastic reinforced leather" (leather mark 4) out of bones, leather, cloth, sinews. Should discuss with Deon about that.

TODO ... Also... bone-reinforced chitin. leather-reinforced chitin. And then after those, one ought to make toughbone, toughleather versions of the aforementioned... too many combinations methinks.
There is such a thing as too much. But, IMO, that's only when the new choices start to become redundant in usefulness.

Spoiler: "in reply to:" (click to show/hide)
Problem is, your most valuable items are the arachna silk clothes on your moron-domple citizens... So I have reduced CGS silk value to "4".
can not mod it to be rarer. What can do, is add SEVERAL low-cost silks to cause it to be used less often.
Sounds like a plan. If it works, please consider bringing some CGS silk value back.

I have tuned so the elephants [GRAZER:32] can survive in a soil-layer cave. But pretty useless as war elephants because of the grazing requirement.
(giant moose female 38, male 30) ok i can adjust some, 34 new "max grazing" incl mammoth
I'm glad these values have been improved. But why leave it so war elephants are still very impractical? Is there a reason you feel it should remain that way? Personally, I think grass would still play an important role even if grazers required half (or less) of the grass they do now (such as by doubling all values).

It's just profession renaming for flavor,
It does make it a little harder to choose a keeper adventurer. Writing documentation is not my cup of tea, and some things should be left to be surprises (like which creatures are super deadly)
My two cents: I do not follow the logic of this. I find renaming these to be downright confusing. And imagine how confused newbies will be. Renaming creatures to be a surprise is one thing, but renaming the types of humanoid warriors with weapons?  ??? In real life one could tell just at a glance why type they are from the size and type of weapon they're carrying. I think sometimes simplicity trumps flavor...

3) Hmm hard to say; I especially hate the harmless Giant Cave Swallow, ridiculous that goblins ride them.
Yes, that bothered me as well.
Yeah black bear seems like a decent mount. I better up both bear speeds from default 900 to 800.
Nice.
Gator mounts seem a little silly, as they are slow-moving. And would you believe that in vanilla, almost no creature has natural skills or speed definitions!
Yes, I thought gator mounts were a little silly as well.

Here's a few candidates from my pile of ideas:
A) baboons, on tropical savannah only (because saw them on the telly)
Doesn't vanilla DF already have like a few dozen varieties of primates, many of them monkeys? I do not see the need for more.
B) giant gremlins (basically a mischief-lever-pulling cave werewolf)
I'd rather not see something like that in the caves.
C) dire owl 40kg aggressive, raging
D) megaparrot semimegabeast
Interesting.
E) swamp stork 17kg, lake heron 17kg
Herons might be nice to add. I've seen herons here in the Midwest and they're one of the biggest local birds (next to the wild turkey). While they're very rare and very shy, herons are interesting. (And I guess those are some reasons why they're interesting.) They tend to stick around ponds and lakes.
Stork: Keep in mind that the stork was one of the sponsored animals in the Animal Sponsorship Drive, so it's only a matter of time before it's added to vanilla DF.

F) kangaroos:    Black-flanked Rock-wallaby 5kg / brush-tailed rock wallaby 11kg,  4-9F 5-11M
   already have: Eastern Grey kangaroo 60kg, spd 800, Gangurru
   Red kangaroo max. 100 kg (220 lb) and 1.92 m (6.3 ft) tall.
   fictional giant roo, 6x, 550kg
Would adding more varieties of kangaroo be worthwhile? IMO, one or two types may be enough. That said, however, a fictional giant roo might be interesting and different enough.

Also, you should definitely consider some of the Extinct Australian Megafauna. In particular, the... [drum roll please]
"Demon Bird": aka, the "KILLER KANGAROO"
Killer Kangaroo Had Wolf-Like Fangs, Scientists Say
A cache of bizarre animal fossils unearthed in Australia includes killer kangaroos, marsupial lions, and a giant relative of a huge bird nicknamed the "demon duck of doom,"...
Seriously, any real-life creature with a nickname like "Demon Duck of Doom" is just begging to be included into Dwarf Fortress! :D
"There are weird, flesh-eating kangaroos,"...
"There are about 35 different kinds of extinct kangaroos in [Queensland] deposits. None of them would've looked like anything we would have recognized today, because they didn't hop," he said.
...the new kangaroo discoveries include a saber-toothed species that may have used its large teeth for grooming or to attract mates.
The team also found more complete skeletons of a previously known carnivorous kangaroo, an early species with short, muscular arms.
"[It] looked like it would give you a very serious bear hug," Godthelp said, adding that 'roo may have used its arms to grab ambushed prey.
"[It] used to leap out from behind trees and scare the bejesus out of prey and then calmly chomp it to pieces."
Killer kangaroo was ultimate fighting marsupial
The vertebrate palaeontologist Sue Hand said the meat-eaters would have looked remarkably different from kangaroos around today. "These things had slicing crests that could have crunched through bone and sliced off flesh," she said.
Killer Kangaroo Had Wolf-Like Fangs, Scientists Say
Most closely related to modern ducks, the flightless "demon bird" probably resembled an enormous emu or ostrich, although fossil remains are scarce.
A single fossil leg bone from the new, larger find stands as high as his hip, Godthelp says. The bird's entire leg would have towered above his head.
It's been suggested that the ancient reptiles may have behaved more like modern-day goannas, or Australian monitor lizards.
The crocs may have climbed trees to escape predators and to leap on prey, scientists theorize.
I'm thinking that both a "Killer Hug Roo" and a "Demon Bird Lizard" would have the [AMBUSHPREDATOR] token so they start out hidden on the map. [insert evil grin smiley]

BTW: I only stumbled across those killer roos by accident. What I was actually looking for was an Internet reference to an obscure science article I read in a kid's magazine in the early '80's. Specifically, I remember reading an article about evolution which quoted a scientist's prediction (aka, "Speculative Evolution") that in the somewhat distant future kangaroos will start to evolve into carnivorous predators with big canine teeth. I had no idea that all this fossil evidence had been discovered of similar creatures in the past.

And speaking of Marsupial Lions, they're another distant relative of the kangaroo. And very interesting.
Wikipedia > Marsupial Lion
The Marsupial Lion is the largest meat-eating mammal known to have ever existed in Australia, and one of the largest marsupial carnivores from anywhere in the world...
The animal was extremely robust with powerfully built jaws and very strong forelimbs. It possessed retractable claws, a unique trait among marsupials. This would have allowed the claws to remain sharp by protecting them from being worn down on hard surfaces. The claws were well-suited to securing prey and for climbing trees.
Measurements taken from a number of specimens show that they averaged 100 to 130 kg (220 to 285 lb) in weight although individuals heavier than 160 kg (350 lb) may not have been uncommon. This would make it quite comparable to female lions and tigers in general size.
The jaw muscle of the Marsupial Lion was exceptionally large for its size, giving it an extremely powerful bite. Biometric calculations show that, pound for pound, it had the strongest bite of any known mammal, living or extinct - a 100 kg (220 lb) individual would have had a bite comparable with that of a 250 kg (550 lb) African Lion.
If you were to add the Marsupial Lion, it might be best to give it a different name. Such as "Carnifex", the part of its scientific name that means "murderous" or "butcher", or just call it the "Pouch Butcher". The question is, could you give it a bite as deadly as a Giant Capybara without making it anywhere near as big as one? Being set in a fantasy world, though, I guess you could make them as big as you wanted.

G) fae-jaguar, a double-speed magical feline, better than speedy faedogs, great as royalty's pets
Has potential, methinks. Speedy pets could be useful to get to a battle quickly, such as to help out a poor dwarf under attack.
H) outdoors gelatinous cube swarm, a slow but deadly mega-enemy.
Please no. Did you nerf the gel cube just to spawn them in swarms now? :o Will the nightmares never cease? :P
I) a lesser sandworm, so not every sandworm in the world is a 5 or 10 ton giant
Interesting.
K) a water-poisoner beast, goes into your precious outdoor pools and always secretes a poison / other similar but outputs a freezing liquid, temporarily freezing your pond.
A beast which seeks out your pools to poison them? ...please no. Megabeasts are bad enough with their toxic excretions and blood. And contaminants in DF are still very buggy. (Remember Battlefailed and Reclaiming Battlefailed? :o)
However, a beast which temporarily freezes your pond sounds interesting. As long as the freezing liquid is made to evaporate eventually.
L) ten more tree species -- but you guys haven't even seen my current ones because they're not in official Deon-release
I do hope to see more tree species in official releases and I'm looking forward to them. However, there does come a point where adding more trees becomes redundant.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 05:23:30 am by Thundercraft »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

> But why leave it so war elephants are still very impractical? Is there a reason you feel it should remain that way?
Keeping things close to Vanilla. Feel free to have your favourite animals not graze at all. (Real elephants eat 75-200 kg of grass/leaves per day)

> [keepers] I find renaming these to be downright confusing. And imagine how confused newbies will be. Renaming creatures to be a surprise is one thing, but renaming the types of humanoid warriors with weapons?
Not my choice, the civs are by Deon. I guess I can remove that piece of flavour from my sub-versions.

> varieties of primates, many of them monkeys? I do not see the need for more.
those monkeys were all tropical forest only and harmless arse-scratchers. Baboons are the troglodytes of the savannah, bite like the best dogs. War baboon troupe, go!

> the Extinct Australian Megafauna.
Sabertooth Roo added to queue. They shall eat wolves in addition to sheep.

> If you were to add the Marsupial Lion,
Hmm already have lion, giant lion, snow lion, rock lion, sand lion, mountain lion(cougar).

Thanks for the todo-list votes TC!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:47:24 am by TomiTapio »

Cave Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1) Without a Genesis mod I find magma at 130-160 m level, as found in Genesis 5. That I was so lucky or a feature of mod? Variety of resources are also smaller - on my current map, in the idea at the

Now I do not reveal the cave, except FB nothing there to catch.
What is "130-160m level", I have no idea as it is map dependant. Top right corner ranging usually from "+2" to 0-surface to "-60" on me. My -20 is "125" in this map.
If you have no cavern layers, magma is around level -15. Three cavern layers, between -32 and -65. I find the "height from sea level" numbers less useful than "levels below surface".

Caves have: food plants, trees, tameable beasts, easy-combat Mud Snake and Red Frog for meat and skin...
Oh, I meaning bottom right corner. So top right corner says that I have map with highest level on +2 and I find magma on -144 level. This is very unusual for me, because I trying Genesis first time. But this is very realistic.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 11:31:57 am by Cave Man »

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile

How do I install this mod?......cause it dosn't seem like a normal drag and drop mod......I've looked everywhere but I can't seem to find any help what so ever.
edit-Got it working..I love the music
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:25:38 pm by UltraValican »
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile

I have a request, but I'm not 100% sure it's possible.

Could you add an adventure mode reaction that butchers sentients?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr

Could you add an adventure mode reaction that butchers sentients?

In short, no.
Also known as Zuhayr.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

I recommend you attack bandit camps (the yellow spiderweb/gem icon), grab their gear and chests. (un-wear a carried chest or bag to get to its contents)

Edit: Did some adventuring now, and made war hammers a little bit deadlier. Gave some more animals sounds. Came up with a fun idea for a magical monster.

Edit2: marmots get sounds... http://www.marmotburrow.ucla.edu/YBAC.html
also: seems than steel dwarf peasant is about equivalent or superior to shroomer demigod. And Dodging is almost everything.

Edit3: For medium region, I use    [MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:120] [NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:120] to gets lots of lairs for adventurer.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 06:19:14 pm by TomiTapio »

Sir Leonard III

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, just to confirm my beliefs, are the strange mods and sieges planned before the time in which they happen? In the non-modded DF if I loaded an old save before a siege I never got one until a couple months later, same for the strange moods. But I was messing around with an extension whilst playing Gensis (Runesmith) And I messed up, so I loaded an earlier save. About five minutes in I got a strange mood, just as I had, and ten minutes later I got a siege, same exact events but different people.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 03:03:52 pm by Sir Leonard III »
Hush little baby, listen to my song,
Mamma's gonna tan you a troll leather thong.
And if that thong don't menace with spikes,
Mamma's gonna kill you whatever you like...

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

I guess it's thresholds and triggers, so when eg. dug out area is N stones times population, game starts making random rolls for moods. And for sieges, when trigger is met, it starts making random rolls. And if the roll says "yup, siege" then a siege will arrive at next "15th day of latemonth"

Edit: meet camels, quick search http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070927085422AAnTk1S  give camels adventurer-sounds.
Edit2: oh wow, a werewolf prisoner in orc town! First I've ever seen a prisoner as adventurer.

Here my worldgen:

Here is today's changes for y'all to adventure upon: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8967397/Genesis_3.25dTT_Ironhand_CuNi_adv_sounds_June8.zip
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 08:38:50 pm by TomiTapio »
Pages: 1 ... 483 484 [485] 486 487 ... 642