Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1228892 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.18d ϟ] - now with Phoebus tileset
« Reply #4410 on: December 30, 2010, 02:29:13 pm »

Wow. Balor went down like a punk.
They're hell-on-wheels to kill in adventure mode (provided you aren't a fireproof dwarf or something). I'll have to remember that "boot to the head" method next time.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: December 30, 2010, 02:45:09 pm »

I've got a lost Ezrakim merchant, a lost Keeper merchant, an argorian caravan inside my barricade, three dead babysnatchers(Two are demons, the last is Illitihd), a werewolf siege, and a whole lotta corpses.
EDIT:Now it looks like a messed up version of Twilight with a metric ton of werewolves and a goblin ambush. The goblins stood no chance against elite wrestlers backed up by like 20 werewolves.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 02:50:05 pm by GaxkangtheUnbound »
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4412 on: December 30, 2010, 02:58:38 pm »

Do you mean CLOTHES, not cloth? If so you would want to be careful not to destroy your own cloth...

I plan to make a cleanup for the next version (remove socks/mittens from invaders, make werewolves to come only in winter and centaurs only in summer, remove fireballs etc.).
I mean cloth junk and leather junk. Invader clothes. Wooden armors too would be on the "burn list". And unwanted animal fats and seeds. A fort with 1200 meals might as well burn all its seeds if they do no farming.
How about one icon for basic were and other icon for the non-gray weres? And one centaur caste might have natural bow&crossbow skill at 10.

Speaking of ezrakim...  http://ebaueris.blogspot.com/2010/11/elf-dune-strider.html
http://mangapunksai.deviantart.com/art/Desert-Elf-158564470
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 03:04:22 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #4413 on: December 30, 2010, 03:01:35 pm »

Damn, kobolds die quickly in this mod.  Maybe I should try playing it how it's meant to be played first.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: December 30, 2010, 03:03:41 pm »

Got a balor in my first winter (19 dwarves, with no deaths so far) and he got across the bridge before anyone could be arsed to raise it. I cursed and prepared all dwarves for a final stand, believing that this would be it, but to my surprise it went down pretty easily. The only casualty was a pet cave tortoise and my starting carpenter (he's only got a broken ankle, but due to nerve damage I don't think he'll walk again). Could I suggest a) making them stronger and b) making them come later?

And assuming the Balor needs a soulgem to survive, this 'towering humanoid' died when it was kicked in the head by an untrained dwarf.

There's going to be some fine engravings in this fort, I tell you.
It's a problem with "punching", which goes through armor and tough tissues. The balors are already huge (unless you've encountered a young one) and have many dangerous attributes. If you used guys with swords/axes, you would get MUCH more problems due to the melting blood. You are right, if you use hammerdwarves it's easier. Plus, a headshot to the brain is a method which kills anything. People reported multiple occasions of kicking dragons in the head and killing them. It's not a problem of a creature, it's an issue of the game combat system. They are already quite dangerous if you are not too lucky, so I don't want an overkill (as you've noticed they come pretty early, consider them "greedy bastard demons" which want your souls and gems).

I've got a lost Ezrakim merchant, a lost Keeper merchant, an argorian caravan inside my barricade, three dead babysnatchers(Two are demons, the last is Illitihd), a werewolf siege, and a whole lotta corpses.
EDIT:Now it looks like a messed up version of Twilight with a metric ton of werewolves and a goblin ambush. The goblins stood no chance against elite wrestlers backed up by like 20 werewolves.
Werewolves will be less common in the next versions, I already noted that they are too frequent.

Do you mean CLOTHES, not cloth? If so you would want to be careful not to destroy your own cloth...

I plan to make a cleanup for the next version (remove socks/mittens from invaders, make werewolves to come only in winter and centaurs only in summer, remove fireballs etc.).
I mean cloth junk and leather junk. Wooden armors too would be on the "burn list". And unwanted animal fats and seeds. A fort with 1200 meals might as well burn all its seeds if they do no farming.
How about one icon for basic were and other icon for the non-gray weres? And one centaur caste might have natural bow&crossbow skill at 10.

Nice desert elf: http://ebaueris.blogspot.com/2010/11/elf-dune-strider.html
I gave centaurs improved bows already and it should be okay to give a certain caste a high archery skill. I won't give it to everyone because as you already know it will make everyone into bowmen :).

What do you mean by "icon" for a werewolf? We cannot assign different icons to castes, otherwise it would be my dream (I would make separate male/female graphics and the game would feel much more different).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4415 on: December 30, 2010, 03:07:19 pm »

It's a problem with "punching", which goes through armor and tough tissues. The balors are already huge (unless you've encountered a young one) and have many dangerous attributes. If you used guys with swords/axes, you would get MUCH more problems due to the melting blood. You are right, if you use hammerdwarves it's easier. Plus, a headshot to the brain is a method which kills anything. People reported multiple occasions of kicking dragons in the head and killing them. It's not a problem of a creature, it's an issue of the game combat system.

What do you mean by "icon" for a werewolf? We cannot assign different icons to castes, otherwise it would be my dream (I would make separate male/female graphics and the game would feel much more different).
I think... select skin and bone layer on head, add thickness 10x, might help the megabeast survive a few spear stabs to the head. We do have the ability to command tissue layer thicknesses!
Something similar to    
Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:CLAW:NAIL_TEMPLATE]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:CLAW:CLAW_TEMPLATE]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:FINGER:CLAW:FRONT]
[TL_RELATIVE_THICKNESS:10] but to the skull.

Right, no caste-specific icons.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 03:10:38 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: December 30, 2010, 04:18:49 pm »

Just got a balor bone scepter from a mood. $48000, even with the bone mood bug.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: December 30, 2010, 06:46:08 pm »

Man, I haven't "seriously" played DF adventure mode in a while. Decided to try it again, realized it's nicer than I thought. Deon, you have added a LOT of mineral types.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #4418 on: December 30, 2010, 07:04:28 pm »

Well, my first Genesis fort came to an end. Not because of the simultaneous sieges before I had the iron industry underway, but because my FPS dropped to 1(1) when an entire z-level caught on fire.  :P
The bushfires, even on 3x2 embark, tend to drop the fps, especially when they touch frozen pools. Just let the game run 1-2 hours while you do something else, the fps will climb back up after the fire is gone.

ps. don't store logs, coal, coke, lignite outdoors.

The fort was doomed anyway. The 1FPS just meant I didn't have the patience to wait for every single last one of them to die.

edit: I had a werewolf fall into magma multiple times and was still healthy enough to run around and kill people (and yes, temperature is on). Is this intended behavior? Because that's pretty hardcore.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 07:31:30 pm by abadidea »
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

WraithLord24

• Bay Watcher
  • I appear then disappear without a trace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: December 30, 2010, 08:09:05 pm »

What type of werewolf was it? 0_0
Im a Lurker I tend to disappear dont just assume im totally gone cause Ill then pop up at odd times.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #4420 on: December 30, 2010, 08:24:34 pm »

What type of werewolf was it? 0_0

Just a normal gray one I think...
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

WraithLord24

• Bay Watcher
  • I appear then disappear without a trace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: December 31, 2010, 01:47:25 am »

wow thats one badass gray i though it would be a dread.
Im a Lurker I tend to disappear dont just assume im totally gone cause Ill then pop up at odd times.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: December 31, 2010, 06:49:10 am »

Well, my first Genesis fort came to an end. Not because of the simultaneous sieges before I had the iron industry underway, but because my FPS dropped to 1(1) when an entire z-level caught on fire.  :P
The bushfires, even on 3x2 embark, tend to drop the fps, especially when they touch frozen pools. Just let the game run 1-2 hours while you do something else, the fps will climb back up after the fire is gone.

ps. don't store logs, coal, coke, lignite outdoors.

The fort was doomed anyway. The 1FPS just meant I didn't have the patience to wait for every single last one of them to die.

edit: I had a werewolf fall into magma multiple times and was still healthy enough to run around and kill people (and yes, temperature is on). Is this intended behavior? Because that's pretty hardcore.

I've been having the same problems with visitors to the fort. If one of my dwarfs or pets falls into water or magma, it's over for them. But if a visitor falls in, nothing happens. I've had outpost liasons in water and magma with no effect - not even drowning - and on my most recent fort I pitted a macaque and thief down a 6 z drop to a river. They both broke a lot of bones, but never started to drown (not even when unconscious). The macaque eventually died from infection (the river ran yellow with pus) and the thief eventually swam upstream and climbed out.

I haven't seen any problems with this in the normal game, so I think it has something to do with Genesis.

krell215

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: December 31, 2010, 01:50:39 pm »

Out of my 31 dwarves, 26 are female. Only 2 of the 5 males are adults, both immigrents who came married. Is the male:female ratio screwed up or do I just have really bad luck? (I dislike baby-bearing armored chainsaws of doom, useing their baby-shields and tantraming after getting their offspring murdered.)
Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

TIME FOR MAGMA!!

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: December 31, 2010, 02:08:52 pm »

HAPPY NEW YEAR GUYS!  ;D
Finis sanctificat media.
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 642