Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21

Author Topic: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?  (Read 47235 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2010, 03:55:25 am »

God shut the fuck up with the  incessant fan-boy shit. We all love toady, he does a great job. I give him my hard-earned money  myself. That doesn't make any of the bugs fixed.  Don't come into a "What's  your biggest frustration" thread and tell people OH HEY GUISE ITS KEWL. Jesus.

Take your own advice, except replace 'fanboy' with 'incessantly bitchy, self-entitled internet tough guy.'

Donating doesn't give you license to bitch a blue streak.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2010, 03:58:31 am »

Donating doesn't give you license to bitch a blue streak.

No, of course not. I only brought up donations because the guy was like "well you try to program this and live on donations". Of course I  know it's hard for Toady! THAT'S WHY I DONATE. It doesn't make any of the bugs any less frustrating, or make it any less  inane when some 15 year old kid who started playing last month shows up and is like "oh man dont be frustrated,  i bet the bugs will be fixed like really soon". Oh SURE THEY WILL. RIGHT.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2010, 04:00:36 am »

Guys, let's not start this again, please.

And sorry for not knowing about this whole bugs thing >_>;
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 04:02:12 am by Acanthus117 »
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2010, 04:05:17 am »

Issues where they will only build/mine one tile at a time before idling around for about 30 seconds.
The solution to this bug is to use the framerate fix: Going to the init file and setting [PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:2] and [G_FPS_CAP:15] fixed this for me.

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2010, 04:08:19 am »

Just stop fighting.  I had to remove even more pointlessly insulting posts and an obnoxious picture.  Leave it alone and get back on topic.  I don't want to start handing out warnings.
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

Todestool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2010, 07:25:53 am »

I think my biggest frustration is the confluence of a few food & farming bugs.  The need to irrigate underground soil is an inconvenience unless I want to run a stream through the center of my embark.  Using a surface farm is an easy workaround, but the fact that surface seeds aren't available at embark means I'm often starting with the four prickle berries and 6 longland grasses my herbalist can collect, and I can't get seeds from them until they're processed in some way that isn't cooking.  Ideally, I'd turn them all to booze and then booze-cook half of them, but booze-cooking (and maybe syrup/flour-cooking? idk) is currently broken.  The fact that organs couldn't be cooked made this worse, but that was an easy raws fix.

Booze-cooking is an exploit imho, so I don't care too much if we can't do it in the end, or if booze can only be one of the ingredients in a meal, but it sure would have made the other farming bugs more manageable.

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2010, 08:10:16 am »

The lag, oh god the lag is worse in this version.

avari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2010, 08:21:37 am »

My biggest frustration right at this moment is the fact that I got a Legendary Armorsmith from a mood, but he refuses to work! He was in the military and doing individual training (although inactive and in "civilian mode") when the mood struck. I took him out of the squad and he put away all his gear, but is stuck with No Job. I read there was a bug like this concerning former military dwarves, so I suppose this is it. Very frustrating.

The military interface in general is somewhat frustrating, but I haven't had as severe problems as some. I can get my dwarves to use their gear and do individual drills and archery practice, which has been enough for now. The kill command works very well.

Slowness was frustrating, but Baughn's DF Accelerator works wonderfully for me. Some areas of the map (very deep caverns) still grind the game to a halt for some reason, so I try to avoid those.

Otherwise no frustrations, apart from the usual dwarf stupidity and other assorted fun :P I like the new farming (whether it's really a bug or not).

Some random things I noticed (off-topic but whatever): metal furniture requires one bar instead of three now! Metal goods (crafts, furniture) seem to get lower quality values than before (?). Metal bolts are no longer uber expensive. All these are changes I like :)

MisterLich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2010, 08:23:35 am »

I didn't read the update notes in detail, is there a reason you can no longer search for a site with magma?

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2010, 08:27:59 am »

I didn't read the update notes in detail, is there a reason you can no longer search for a site with magma?

It's basically everywhere.  Anywhere from 10-30 levels down I usually start finding the tops of magma tubes.  Or look for a volcano and your magma goes all the way to the top  ;D

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2010, 08:41:46 am »

As a heads-up to those frustrated with the military: I've spent most of the night reformatting the wiki's military page, adding detail, explanation, and more key shortcuts. Should be easier to read than that messy guide that was posted as well. Hopefully it's easier to wrap your head around now - the military screen was a brick wall to me a few days ago, but after further investigation it's actually astoundingly versatile and goes from "omfgwtfbbq" to intuitive very quickly. You just need to grasp the basics.

Not quite done and there's still a bit missing like how the hell teaching works but I do hope that helps out in some manner.

I have no substantial beef with this version, but I'd like to post here to publicly thank Retro for doing that. I know he's done a vast amount of work and probably won't get enough credit for it, but that doesn't mean I can't congratulate him for being a good person.

yeznik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2010, 08:42:06 am »

Unrotting vermin remains sucks.

I think my greatest frustration so far is that there's no Dwarf Therapist update. It's not necessary to play, but it makes you spoiled...

There's an emergency release for 2010 in the Dwarf Therapist Thread on page 46 I believe.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2010, 08:48:03 am »

As a heads-up to those frustrated with the military: I've spent most of the night reformatting the wiki's military page, adding detail, explanation, and more key shortcuts. Should be easier to read than that messy guide that was posted as well. Hopefully it's easier to wrap your head around now - the military screen was a brick wall to me a few days ago, but after further investigation it's actually astoundingly versatile and goes from "omfgwtfbbq" to intuitive very quickly. You just need to grasp the basics.

Not quite done and there's still a bit missing like how the hell teaching works but I do hope that helps out in some manner.

You're awesome man! Was confused by the new military. Thanks.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2010, 09:08:11 am »

Biggest frustrations are actually frighteningly inane. You see, I can happily accept the pathfinding bugs, and the lack of the 40d merge, because I know with Toady, it'll take two or three releases tops before the worst of the bugs are gone.

The things that I'm irritated by are the ones Im not sure will get changed;
specifically, the channelling change and the huge increase in ore deposits.

With channelling, while I accept that digging a moat is an easy way of stopping any invasion, I feel the loss of functionality (and aesthetics, damn ramps flashing at me all the time) it introduces is too great a cost for what it does. Plus, it doesn't even really achieve it's original goal; its still possible to channel and then remove the ramps for a SLIGHT increase in time taken. In future releases, no doubt pathing improvements, jumping, and proper sieger behaviour will render a 1 tile wide ditch meaningless, but at present, a slight decrease in game difficulty is worth having the difference between channels and ramps.

As for the ore deposits, I originally liked them. I have to admit now though, they just get on my nerves. The huge increase in veins screws up low cost housing, looks unpleasant, and devalues all existing metals. It used to be that when I saw a vein of gold, I was ecstatic. Now I'm just irritated at the garish yellow streak through my floors.

I'll happily admit those are just my opinions, and other people may disagree, but I'd at the very least like to be able to choose which setup my fort had. (Incidentally, does anyone here know how to decrease the amount of minerals present?)
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Silver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2010, 09:20:11 am »

Personally, and no one seems to have mentioned this as far as my quick search tells me, the menu navigation has been slowed down a lot by having to use the Esc key instead of just bashing the space bar all the time. I find this very frustrating. And on a positive note, great work Toady and all contributors and thanks for the release.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21