Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21

Author Topic: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?  (Read 47291 times)

Wyvern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2010, 09:43:00 pm »

My biggest frustration is being totally unable to get my military to activate and train.  They just stay in civilian mode even after I do all the necessary steps. 

I even did a test fortress: I embarked, dug out a room, cut down two trees, made an armor stand, set up my military, and ordered them to train.  The result was one civilian doing individual drills incessantly, one civilian fishing, and five civilians sitting around with No Job 24 hours a day.  Until AUTUMN.  Then I suddenly had 3-4 activated dwarves waiting to train (but never starting), 3-4 civilians with the Go To Demonstration job listed but actually just standing at the meeting area eternally, and the rest No Job.  They stayed like that until they all starved to death around Spring, with the activated-but-not-training dwarves occasionally trading places with the unactivated-lazy-lying-bastard dwarves.  The one guy who did individual drilling in his civvies was the only one who learned a damn thing the whole year.

Runner up: the inability to designate bone stockpiles.  Why, exactly, were bones reclassified as "[animal type] parts" instead of having their own subcategory?  Who's supposed to benefit from that?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2010, 09:52:11 pm »

So far i havent seen bodypart rotting so no miasma, also a lot of bodypart can go in crafting, teeths, ivory etc and they are all listed as bodypart, i believe thats why.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2010, 10:32:30 pm »

If shells are still required for moods, then I need the ability to designate shell stockpiles :(

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2010, 10:47:52 pm »

The combat, and all the little bugs D:
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2010, 10:49:28 pm »

having to build 137 screw pumps to get the magma to the surface.

This!! I haven't seen magma since the 0.31 release because it's too much trouble for me to use it. Thankfully, bituminous coal is all over the place so I can deal without magma-powered industry (but I am missing the traps sooo much).

Next time you're starting a fort, look at the number of layers at the embark screen.  The less rock layers you have, the "shorter" the map for your fort will be.  I've had maps where the magma is at -30Z and HFS at -45Z.

My biggest frustration is how hard it is to get enough civs up on the map, mainly any Civ other than Dwarf.  I've generated so many maps with no civilizations.  After many experiments (world gens), I suspect that the reason has to do with the fact that I set caves up high, letting who knows what slip out from under the ground and killing the elves, humans and goblins before the can get settled in.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:51:19 pm by Alkyon »
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2010, 11:06:04 pm »

underground farming doesnt make much sense anymore, I should still be able to farm in the dirt underground opposed to only on thin films of soil left on rock from flowing water, which was probably CLEAN water in the first place.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2010, 11:12:35 pm »

my only real problem is the general slowness of everything.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Hakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2010, 11:31:00 pm »

My biggest problem is that I still can't save the game normally, instead of this wonky rogue-like based system.
A dwarf's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Fortress which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. Gold has not been proven not to exist, therefore it must exist.
Philosopher Prokhor Zakharov,
"For I Have Tasted The Plump Helmet"

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2010, 11:59:45 pm »

the new military (mainly because i havent figured it out yet), and not having the order: "dwarves stay in-doors"

When you figure it out you will probably love not having the order "dwarves stay in-doors". What's replaced it is so, so much better. :)

Basically, you define a burrow that encompasses all the parts of your fort that you consider "safe", and then you assign that burrow as the civilian safe zone for each of your various alert states. Then when you put your squads into that alert state, just set that alert state to your civilians too. Everyone will drop everything and run to the bunker.

I have yet to experiment extensively with this setup but the possibilities are wonderful. I'm just starting my first "real" fort, devoted to more than just messing around, and I plan to set up a graded response. There will be a burrow that fills pretty much all of my fort's interior, not including the corridors behind the arrow slits. This will be the safe zone for protracted sieges and should allow my dwarfs to go about their everyday lives as best as possible during them. There will be a smaller burrow nested inside that which encompasses just a dorm, a food stockpile, and the hospital zone; this will be for if the enemy breaches the outer layers of my defenses and gets into the fort proper. And if all else fails, I'll maybe have a "Jonestown Bunker" where I can have my civilians retreat to and wall themselves in to die in peace.

Once I breach the lower caverns I think I might move my fort down there entirely, in which case I'll create safe zones down there as well. Though I'll keep the surface installation in mothballs, that way if I'm attacked from below I can order my dwarfs to the safety of the surface.

Finally, above-ground fortifications can be habitable during a siege. I could even make a walled city with individual buildings scattered around and it'll work. :)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2010, 12:24:17 am »

As a heads-up to those frustrated with the military: I've spent most of the night reformatting the wiki's military page, adding detail, explanation, and more key shortcuts. Should be easier to read than that messy guide that was posted as well. Hopefully it's easier to wrap your head around now - the military screen was a brick wall to me a few days ago, but after further investigation it's actually astoundingly versatile and goes from "omfgwtfbbq" to intuitive very quickly. You just need to grasp the basics.

Not quite done and there's still a bit missing like how the hell teaching works but I do hope that helps out in some manner.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2010, 12:49:01 am »

Thanks, Retro. That's very easy to read.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2010, 12:56:07 am »

thanks Retro. I'm going to savescum in a bit here so I can practice some military stuff since I've had to wall my epic fort off entirely in order to not get stomped by giants and gobbos. My Igneous Extrusive site has been very generous, but zero fuel aside from deep magma so there's little use in even trying to set up traps until I can get my magma smelters/forges up and running (which I just did three minutes ago) and everyone else ends up being a wrestler.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2010, 01:22:04 am »

Honestly, I had figured out most of the stuff in there before I read it, and I  was hoping it would solve my problems when I read  your post.

No offense but the military stuff is just beyond stupid right now [...]

Well, I dunno. Personally having spent the last fours hours reviewing the material and trying to do it for myself I've found that though I don't yet have the specific keys memory-mapped, I can do basically anything with the military I need them to. It's like one of those weird posters of a sea of coffee beans and one of them is a dude's head - when you get it, you'll shit bricks. Until then you may have to just wrestle with it for a while. Once you get used to the new system it really is the most confusing godsend ever.

Also, it would be appreciated if you didn't swear at other forumites - the new version's frustrating, yes, but manners aren't buggy.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2010, 01:30:16 am »

Honestly, I had figured out most of the stuff in there before I read it, and I  was hoping it would solve my problems when I read  your post.

No offense but the military stuff is just beyond stupid right now [...]

Well, I dunno. Personally having spent the last fours hours reviewing the material and trying to do it for myself I've found that though I don't yet have the specific keys memory-mapped, I can do basically anything with the military I need them to. It's like one of those weird posters of a sea of coffee beans and one of them is a dude's head - when you get it, you'll shit bricks. Until then you may have to just wrestle with it for a while. Once you get used to the new system it really is the most confusing godsend ever.

Also, it would be appreciated if you didn't swear at other forumites - the new version's frustrating, yes, but manners aren't buggy.

Oh,  one question I did have: arsenal dwarf. What? I don't have that  on my  noble screen. Even  when my military is working I  have  never seen anything about an arsenal dwarf. How do I get that slot open?

And my hunter dwarf won't  refill her quiver. She hunted faithfully until she ran out of bolts and now she won't  get any more, even if I assign more bolts  to her, disable/enable  hunting, etc.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 01:33:44 am by ZeroGravitas »

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2010, 01:32:03 am »

I'm just saying, yo. And besides, the bugs will eventually be squashed. It's only been out for what, less than a week? Of course it's still buggy!

Yeah I don't know  how long you've  been playing DF, but most of us had been playing the same version of DF with the same bugs for almost 2 years. Don't get your hopes up about bugs being squashed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21