Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21

Author Topic: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?  (Read 47292 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2010, 01:33:52 am »

Oh,  one question I did have: arsenal dwarf. What? I don't have that  on my  noble screen. Even  when my military is working I  have  never seen anything about an arsenal dwarf. How do I get that slot open?

Taken from the page formerly linked (specifically, here):
In the early stages of your fort your dwarves will equip themselves, but once enough migrants have arrived your fortress will require an arsenal dwarf (designated in the nobles screen) to manage your armory. The arsenal dwarf serves the role of quartermaster; without him your dwarves will be unable to change their equipment. Once you have a dwarf selected, make sure to give him an office - like a manager, an arsenal dwarf will need to sign off on equipment changes before they can be made.

Note that if you don't have an option for arsenal dwarf, it just means your fort isn't big enough to need one yet. Dwarves will equip themselves until your fortress grows too large - just keep an eye on the nobles screen every time you get migrants, and assign an arsenal dwarf when you need one.

Still unknown whether the requirement is triggered by population, military size, or both. I've read varying reports.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2010, 01:36:00 am »

I mean that the major bugs that make the game... what's the word... less playable I suppose? (no fish, acid rain, combat damage, possibly?) probably will be fixed.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2010, 01:41:07 am »

Oh,  one question I did have: arsenal dwarf. What? I don't have that  on my  noble screen. Even  when my military is working I  have  never seen anything about an arsenal dwarf. How do I get that slot open?

Taken from the page formerly linked (specifically, here):
In the early stages of your fort your dwarves will equip themselves, but once enough migrants have arrived your fortress will require an arsenal dwarf (designated in the nobles screen) to manage your armory. The arsenal dwarf serves the role of quartermaster; without him your dwarves will be unable to change their equipment. Once you have a dwarf selected, make sure to give him an office - like a manager, an arsenal dwarf will need to sign off on equipment changes before they can be made.

Note that if you don't have an option for arsenal dwarf, it just means your fort isn't big enough to need one yet. Dwarves will equip themselves until your fortress grows too large - just keep an eye on the nobles screen every time you get migrants, and assign an arsenal dwarf when you need one.

Still unknown whether the requirement is triggered by population, military size, or both. I've read varying reports.

Aha! It's 20 fort population, it seems.

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2010, 02:04:58 am »

I removed three posts earlier to avoid a flaming argument.  It is perfectly fine to criticize the game, but try to avoid profanity and personal attacks.
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2010, 02:08:17 am »

Population. My military is zero-dwarves-strong and I can assign an arsenal dwarf.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2010, 02:11:33 am »

Population. My military is zero-dwarves-strong and I can assign an arsenal dwarf.

One of the wiki's talk page had a comment about how until a user put five dwarves into the military he couldn't assign an arsenal dwarf despite his population. The 20-dwarves thing seems right, though, so I think I'm going to go change it to reflect that and if we get any more evidence otherwise we'll deal with it then.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2010, 02:11:57 am »

Oh, and my biggest frustration at the moment would have to be pathfinding errors. A quick save/continue fixes it most of the time, but when it really gets going it brings my computer to its knees.

Aside from that it would have to be the military in regards to the ease/lack of ease in throwing together a rapid response team with any degree of effectiveness. I'm not talking ambushes and sieges, I'm talking monkeys and angry goats. Used to be able to just activate my woodcuter and he'd pull some macaques apart, but now... yeah, I really need to read that tutorial.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2010, 02:16:38 am »

Aside from that it would have to be the military in regards to the ease/lack of ease in throwing together a rapid response team with any degree of effectiveness. I'm not talking ambushes and sieges, I'm talking monkeys and angry goats. Used to be able to just activate my woodcuter and he'd pull some macaques apart, but now... yeah, I really need to read that tutorial.

Here's the specific section you want - actually becomes a near-instant way of handling threats with practice.

( sorry for kind of hogging the thread D: )

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2010, 02:27:39 am »

Military, dammit, if it wasn't for a crash, my utterly retarded military would have been destroyed due to them forgetting/not wanting to grab the damn short swords, and yes, I just came off of that game.

I like greater control of my military, but this is stupid, really, I miss having my military being useful.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2010, 02:29:30 am »

Here's the specific section you want - actually becomes a near-instant way of handling threats with practice.

( sorry for kind of hogging the thread D: )
Yeah, I'd figured that out for the most part from tinkering/reading, but it still has the big issue of relying on established boroughs and squads.

Earlier this evening I had a giant wander into my fort and it was an agonizing process trying to get a squad put together from nothing, plus they still refused to follow a direct kill order (something I didn't have problems with in another fort where a giant toad and an olm wandered in) and I had to "trick" them into engaging with a move order, but that might just be a pathing problem.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2010, 02:35:44 am »

Yeah I don't know  how long you've  been playing DF, but most of us had been playing the same version of DF with the same bugs for almost 2 years. Don't get your hopes up about bugs being squashed.
I believe you should not speak for some kind of 'most of us', since i, for one, played in times when Toady was working only on bugfixes and released new versions at least monthly, and i believe we will see same release pattern again soon.

People were definitely spoiled by stability of later 3d versions.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2010, 02:39:42 am »

For me, it's A: The inability to plant underground due to bug (I wouldn't mind if there were more flat, open space in the underground, and if it didn't take 30+ floors to get down there), and B: Having to completely relearn Military.  As a result, when I need to draft someone NOW, things don't get done when I needed it to be.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2010, 02:49:19 am »

Issues where they will only build/mine one tile at a time before idling around for about 30 seconds.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2010, 03:34:42 am »

Yeah I don't know  how long you've  been playing DF, but most of us had been playing the same version of DF with the same bugs for almost 2 years. Don't get your hopes up about bugs being squashed.
I believe you should not speak for some kind of 'most of us', since i, for one, played in times when Toady was working only on bugfixes and released new versions at least monthly, and i believe we will see same release pattern again soon.

People were definitely spoiled by stability of later 3d versions.

So you weren't playing for the last 2 years with no bug fixes? Just  because  you were also playing with other versions  before that doesn't mean there  have been any bug fixes in  the last 2 years. If you have been playing 40d then you are "most of us". You may "believe" bug fixes will be coming "at least monthly". I'll believe it when I see it and donate more accordingly.

In fact, this release didn't even really fix ANY bugs. It just introduced new ones  instead.  Remember all the old sparring bugs? All the old problems with military equipment? I guess those got fixed  by the new military system, huh?

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2010, 03:52:00 am »

As a heads-up to those frustrated with the military: I've spent most of the night reformatting the wiki's military page, adding detail, explanation, and more key shortcuts.

Retro is the man!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21