Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21

Author Topic: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?  (Read 47280 times)

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2010, 05:49:04 pm »

I've just gotten myself a new biggest frustration. I had been preparing a squad to spar for a long time. They had no armor, but they had perfect training weapons and good shields.

Too bad for me, they only gave demonstrations.

Soon after some thieves came, and one of the three dwarfs got himself a nasty cut. I let the other two change to normal axes to chase away the kobold thieves. They did their job nicely, so I went over to the hospital to watch my wounded dwarf getting cared for. (After seeing that the other were busy with a demonstration again).

Sure enough within a few moments one of the two dwarfs was dragged in as well, wounded severally as they had started sparring with the lethal weapons as soon as I wasn't looking.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Talith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2010, 05:51:52 pm »

My biggest frustration: When designating up/down staircases to sink a shaft deep down (Too Deep), I have to designate every layer individually; I can't just start a rectangle on one layer and zip down five or twenty-five layers and designate all tiles in between as staircases.

Yes, I know that's exceedingly dangerous. That's the whole point--I mined down to the Hidden Fun Stuff, after all. But it was over a hundred and fifty layers deep!!

Use the mouse, and click where you want the designation, then while still holding down the mouse button, go down however many layers you want, and release the mouse button.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2010, 05:52:36 pm »

Military, for sure. Everything else I can work around, but adding dwarves to my military makes them unable to return to civilian life. They just stand around doing nothing as civvies, using up resources and sleeping in other people's rooms.

I've got a legendary weaponsmith, I swear maybe the first one I've ever gotten playing DF, and she can't be deactivated to start making me awesome weapons ><

The (new) vermin bug would be a game breaker, if corpse decay and therefore miasma, weren't also broken. As it is it's just an eyesore and little else.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2010, 05:54:42 pm »

Pathfinding, military, and having to build 137 screw pumps to get the magma to the surface.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2010, 05:57:22 pm »

So far it's the military issues and the fact that dwarves will work to the point of desperation before rectifying the situation. Everything else is okay so far, though. Haven't accomplished very much, so not very much to complain about yet.
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2010, 05:59:49 pm »

Military.

3 things:

1. I make a pick for my new miner. THE MILITARY STEALS THE PICK!!! I make more picks. They get taken. My military gains mining skill... my miners stand idle.
2. I tell my military to attack a goblin. The military either kills the goblin, or runs the other way. Also, they still try to kill said goblin after it's death.
3. If a dwarf in the military dies, he is still considered 'part of the squad'.

of course, maybe there is something I am missing.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2010, 06:00:46 pm »

Pathing and thawing oceans.

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2010, 06:03:08 pm »

the new military (mainly because i havent figured it out yet), and not having the order: "dwarves stay in-doors"
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2010, 06:17:22 pm »

having to build 137 screw pumps to get the magma to the surface.

This!! I haven't seen magma since the 0.31 release because it's too much trouble for me to use it. Thankfully, bituminous coal is all over the place so I can deal without magma-powered industry (but I am missing the traps sooo much).

@LoneJedi7

There is an alert setting for civilians which is MUCH better than the stay indoor order. As for the rest of the military changes, it is more complex to set up, but also more effective once done.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2010, 06:20:23 pm »

having to build 137 screw pumps to get the magma to the surface.

This!! I haven't seen magma since the 0.31 release because it's too much trouble for me to use it. Thankfully, bituminous coal is all over the place so I can deal without magma-powered industry (but I am missing the traps sooo much).

I tried embarking on a volcano. unfortunately, the walls of the volcano go /straight/ down to the magma sea, with no random juts, which will make things difficult.

thelordberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2010, 06:51:51 pm »

Nobody has said channeling produces ramps? I once set up my exploratory borehole (Channeling a Deeeeeeep hole) planning to exploit it later with stair cases. Instead my miner drills himself through the earth like a freaking... drill... I suppose. He drilled himself into a magma sea. Lesson learned.
I'm unspeakably dissspointed. A dwarven fortress has discovered a sentient creature made out of mushrooms, and no one has proposed brewing him?

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2010, 07:47:12 pm »

I'm just trying to get my bowdwarves to SHOOT THEIR DAMN CROSSBOWS DWA RJVN?:AVAC"WVN :L:A
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Hazmat

• Escaped Lunatic
  • You cannot begin to comprehend my motives.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2010, 09:11:38 pm »

So... I had two dwarves get injured by crundles. Neither are able to walk any more. Somehow, the one that was MOST injured woke up before the less injured one, and no-one would care for her. so, she couldn't eat or drink, and no-one would help her. Needless to say, she went insane. AND BEGAN WALKING. Severe nerve and motor skill damage, and she starts walking once she goes insane. Stupid medical dorfs... not healing people.

NotABotanist

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Mad Computer Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2010, 09:18:27 pm »

I've had my share of military confusion, but the most frustrating thing for me so far is the inability to assign administrative positions after the previous holders die.  The expedition leader got his head torn off by a giant bat, and now I can't have a manager or a broker or a bookkeeper. :(

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2010, 09:19:24 pm »

My seeds disappeared.

All of them.

Now everyone's starving.

*sigh*
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21