Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26

Author Topic: Underground exploration! First Post Updated  (Read 39897 times)

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
Re: Underground exploration! First Post Updated
« Reply #300 on: April 09, 2010, 12:00:19 pm »

Oh I see. o_o

Perhaps I shouldn't jump off from anywhere then. >.>

I've been there, with the death from infection. It didn't help that he was drinking his own pus and eating disgusting food either. >.>
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 10, 2010, 01:18:36 am »

You misspelled my name...  :'(
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 10, 2010, 01:21:31 am »

Whoops, sorry bud.

Thanks for your help though.

It's fixed now.
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 10, 2010, 03:24:51 am »

Are the pond grabbers supposed to be totally passive?  I can't find anything in their raws that would cause that.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 10, 2010, 04:03:03 am »

I'm pretty sure that they lack eyes/extravision.

If they don't move and attack/run on sight, it means they don't see you.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 10, 2010, 12:40:57 pm »

Hey, does anyone know if curious structures only show up on the deepest layers? Like, only layer 3, or might I find one before that if I'm lucky?

I made a new adventurer with a non-infected thumb, and am sending him and his exceptional bronze gear and his 200 food down to the caves. First, though, I stormed all four goblin towers (killing their cardinal ("cardinal" referring to the color of his hair (?)) fiend law-giver) and rescued 50+ children, whom I promptly used as bait to distract a bronze colossus so I could get my sword skill up by pulverizing its body. RIP all you chumps, your deaths will not be in vain. (Because they were funny.)
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 14, 2010, 05:54:27 pm »

All I find instead of caves are these large stone mounds. The wiki says there's an entrance on them somewhere, but I sure as heck can't find it. Any tips?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 15, 2010, 05:21:19 am »

All I find instead of caves are these large stone mounds. The wiki says there's an entrance on them somewhere, but I sure as heck can't find it. Any tips?

Check every nook, corner and z-level.

It's there, but soemtimes very annoyingly hidden*. Or a hole in wall.

*And most propably you passed near it, not noticing it.**
**Many times :P
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

ElFuzzo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 15, 2010, 01:10:41 pm »

I spent all day yesterday (maybe two weeks in game time?) searching the first level and had no luck finding a path down. I found a magma pool and a deep pit, but I wanted to be able to get back out again so I kept on going after looking around a bit. Is there any trick to finding tunnels down or do I just have to keep wandering?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 15, 2010, 01:12:55 pm »

Just keep wandering, as far as I know.  I believe Toady was planning to add a worldgen parameter that controls the frequency of downward passages, but he didn't have time.

Pickled Tink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 16, 2010, 12:24:55 am »

I've managed to get an adventurer down to the third layer, and even to the magma sea. There's some very strange interactions with the underground there. Walking down a corridor when one wall is 7/7 lava is rather disconcerting, especially when a magma man leaps out of it to attack you.

I'm fairly sure they layers aren't supposed to intersect like that.

Still trying to get my dwarf into a fortress, and finding it horrendously difficult to find one.

Spent two dwarf weeks in the first layer before I found a passage to the second, then very quickly found a passage from second to third.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground exploration!
« Reply #311 on: April 16, 2010, 12:32:06 am »

For some reason, underground exploration is really enhanced by this song, Behold the Darkness. It really sets the mood while I'm underground and makes my imagination race. >.>

I know, I'm weird.

Personally, I found this to be perfect as my rookie adventurer crept into a cave to gather loot.  He needed better gear before actually trying to fight something, you see.

When I actually try dungeon diving, I'll probably go for the dungeon music from Might & Magic VI, or possibly "In the Hall of the Mountain King".

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 16, 2010, 01:48:53 am »

UNDERGROUND JOURNAL

I have found an entrance to the underground in a kobold mound. The kobolds did nothing to help or hinder me as I traipsed through their domain.

I am now lost in a dank, wet cavern. I am menaced by oversized amphibians and rodents as I wander.
so, Nothing out of the ordinary yet.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 20, 2010, 03:38:23 pm »

This just in:  You can fill backpacks with water, and they're better than waterskins/flasks!  I've got two backpacks with 198 units of water (in stacks of 99 and 90) plus miscellaneous gear.  Film at 11.

Never die of thirst underground again!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 20, 2010, 03:42:26 pm »

This just in:  You can fill backpacks with water, and they're better than waterskins/flasks!  I've got two backpacks with 198 units of water (in stacks of 99 and 90) plus miscellaneous gear.  Film at 11.

Never die of thirst underground again!

I wonder how one can die of thirst underground, given there are tons of water down there.
SigFlags!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26