Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26

Author Topic: Kobold Camp 2010 ( 0.31.01 ) ( ALPHA 0.3 ) ( UPDATED 06/04 )  (Read 59564 times)

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp 2010 ( 0.31.01 ) ( ALPHA 0.3 ) ( UPDATED 06/04 )
« Reply #330 on: September 19, 2010, 11:15:45 pm »

I've got a Neolithic/Simple Technology mod sitting on the backburner, that might mesh really well with Kobold Camp. I did research into early mining (it was done with antlers and horns), early smithing (native metals, cold-worked on a flat stone anvil), and industries that duplicate the utility of Masonry such as Clay, Mudbrick, Ceramics, and Bone-Ash Porcelain. I also know a good bit about Geology. The mod was intended to allow Dwarves to build tech all the way up from nothing, even if you were embarking with no resources whatsoever... but it would work well for Kobold Camp style tech too.

I've done all the homework on knapped stone tools, mining technologies, and what reactions were actually used to make different kinds of ceramics of different values and uses... but designing the mods themselves has never been one of my strong suits. If there was a modder who knew their way around the raws, I could definitely supply the research into primitive technology and industrial practices.
You definitely need to get a modder buddy to work with.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 19, 2010, 11:19:27 pm »

I would love to play that, especially when Adventurers can do this sort of shit.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 19, 2010, 11:33:31 pm »

I would love that too...if elves would stop ambushing in the second year...
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 20, 2010, 02:03:59 am »

Guuuh, maybe I'm being dumb, but when I unzip DF 31.13 and KC 31.13 into the same folder and gen a world, I'm playing as dorfs, not kobolds. Am I missing something?

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 20, 2010, 02:41:56 pm »

I've got a Neolithic/Simple Technology mod sitting on the backburner, that might mesh really well with Kobold Camp. I did research into early mining (it was done with antlers and horns), early smithing (native metals, cold-worked on a flat stone anvil), and industries that duplicate the utility of Masonry such as Clay, Mudbrick, Ceramics, and Bone-Ash Porcelain. I also know a good bit about Geology. The mod was intended to allow Dwarves to build tech all the way up from nothing, even if you were embarking with no resources whatsoever... but it would work well for Kobold Camp style tech too.

I've done all the homework on knapped stone tools, mining technologies, and what reactions were actually used to make different kinds of ceramics of different values and uses... but designing the mods themselves has never been one of my strong suits. If there was a modder who knew their way around the raws, I could definitely supply the research into primitive technology and industrial practices.

This does sound like it'd work very well with kobold camp. Although I have just been poking in to update KC to newer versions and have been very busy for the last few weeks, I'd be willing to jump back into the raws if you tell me the stones that are realistically mineable, various stone tools and that sort of thing. I'd especially like it if it was based around the Aztecs, if they did anything particularly different in terms of mining and crafting that you know of. I kept meaning to add in Aztec type weapons to give it more flavor than "crude short sword", but never did get around to it.

Guuuh, maybe I'm being dumb, but when I unzip DF 31.13 and KC 31.13 into the same folder and gen a world, I'm playing as dorfs, not kobolds. Am I missing something?
Yeah, don't unzip DF31.13. KC 31.13 is stand alone, it's got all the stuff you need to play with, just run Dwarf Fortress.exe inside the KC31.13 folder and you should be good.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 02:44:40 pm by Lagotrope »

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 20, 2010, 03:22:45 pm »

One thing that's got my mind buzzing a bit was Soliforge's mention of ceramics. It seems like a potential new industry for both kobolds and dwarves, at least while the latter is stuck above an aquifer.

The general idea I have now is something like gathering clay in the manner you collect sand and making clay objects at a kiln. It'd also make a good building material, since you can make clay blocks (AKA bricks) for walls and such. You can make clay and ceramic pots that act like barrels or buckets, and naturally, you can make a variety of ceramic crafts.

I'm starting to like the idea of kobolds building adobe huts.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 20, 2010, 04:08:22 pm »

Any chance of a download of this that's just the necessary raw files? I'm running linux so I have to find what's different in order to apply it

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 20, 2010, 04:45:14 pm »

Any chance of a download of this that's just the necessary raw files? I'm running linux so I have to find what's different in order to apply it

Added: Raws only

Didn't think about having to do this, so let me know if I'm missing something/it doesn't work. Not really sure how linux changes things other than the obvious operating system difference.

In other news, I just realized that kobolds don't have training weapons! Perhaps I thought them unnecessary due to the training grounds, however I must not have been thinking right because sparring practice still includes essential shieldskill and armor use to make a complete part of your balanced kobold fighter.

I'll rectify this in the near future, perhaps alongside a language/primitive mining/goods that may be coming along. The use of the word FINAL, in hindsight, was bad foresight.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 04:57:36 pm by Lagotrope »

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 20, 2010, 05:27:08 pm »

I'll rectify this in the near future, perhaps alongside a language/primitive mining/goods that may be coming along. The use of the word FINAL, in hindsight, was bad foresight.
Yup. This is DF. Nothing ever stops growing and changing. ;)

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 22, 2010, 10:38:28 pm »

It's now at version 1.1, I added in some aztec weapons and implemented a language for the most part, the details are in the readme changelog.

Standalone version
Separate raws

Edit: Now for DF 31.14. I'll probably leave it here for awhile, on account of people who play this prooobably also like to have things like therapist, dfhack, etc etc and when I update right as a new version of DF comes out, therapist/etc no longer works with the version of KC posted. So I'll likely keep updating on par with what therapist at least has, so long as the new updates don't have critical changes.

Any problems, let me know
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 11:55:23 pm by Lagotrope »

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 15, 2010, 10:19:03 am »

My kobolds don't seem to want to eat their prickle berries. In fact, they'd rather starve. What's going on?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 15, 2010, 10:24:35 am »

My kobolds don't seem to want to eat their prickle berries. In fact, they'd rather starve. What's going on?
Kobolds are carnivores. Carnivores only eat meat. Prickle berries are not meat. So, Kobolds do not eat prickle berries.

Get yourself some meat, cook the meat and berries into a meal, and then the kobolds will eat the meal. They'll eat only meat, and meals that had meat as at least one ingredient. Also bones, since they're bone carnivores, which means that they're carnivores that eat bones.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 15, 2010, 11:40:49 am »

Ahh. Ta.  That'll be why they didn't have a problem with the rat meat I embarked with.

therealmarauder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 19, 2010, 08:34:54 pm »

I am having significant problems with Kobold Camp.

I got the latest version, copied the raws into a linux version of DF, ran it, and tried to tell a kobold to make a crafting workshop. Unfortunately, my kobolds have no crafting labors.

I can't find any reference to this anywhere. Clearly kobolds should be able to make arrows out of wood or bone, and make crafts out of wood, if only simple crafts, but my kobolds can't.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? I really want to give this a try, but I don't know how any of my kobolds will be alive in even half a year if they have no ammo.

Help! I really want to give this a try, but I don't know how to do anything when all I seem to be able to do is build beds and hit things with shields.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 19, 2010, 09:49:20 pm »

Sounds like there are a couple of tags missing from the raw files.
I think the tags you are looking for are [PERMITTED_JOB:xyz]
I'd take a look at the entity_default.txt and see if you can find the tags you want. (Unless stuff has been removed, I think the Dwarves will have all the jobs, etc.)

Of course, this might not be the problem, but it's where I would look.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26