Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1129 1130 [1131] 1132 1133 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123380 times)

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16950 on: January 26, 2012, 08:10:53 pm »

how do i get my dwarves to eat fish?

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16951 on: January 26, 2012, 08:19:37 pm »

how do i get my dwarves to eat fish?
Do you have a Fishery and a dwarf with fish cleaning enabled?

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16952 on: January 27, 2012, 03:30:16 am »

Does the population cap setting in the init file actually work? I've set my limit to 120 Dwarfs and it worked fine, reached exactly 120. Then another migrant wave appeared, what gives?  :-\

Nil Athelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16953 on: January 27, 2012, 04:16:02 am »

So how does this facing madness work?  Reading the combat report files, I see people being attacked from behind.  However, it's not like the tiles rotate to indicate facing direction - in fact, I can find nothing that indicates which direction something is facing...

But despite that, people have faces on the front of their heads.  Body parts seem to have relative position, etc.

So... how does this work?

Also, is it harder to hit the face of a quadruped from behind, due to distance?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16954 on: January 27, 2012, 07:17:43 am »

So how does this facing madness work?  Reading the combat report files, I see people being attacked from behind.  However, it's not like the tiles rotate to indicate facing direction - in fact, I can find nothing that indicates which direction something is facing...

But despite that, people have faces on the front of their heads.  Body parts seem to have relative position, etc.

So... how does this work?

Also, is it harder to hit the face of a quadruped from behind, due to distance?

you can indeed not see where enemies are facing, but generally they are facing in the direction of their last attack, or they direction they just moved in

and body parts, how does it work out? well, like in your example, a long creature that you attack from behind, don't try for the head, front legs or upper body. You can see this at work in adventure mode. Another example is for particularly tall creatures, where hitting the head would require you to jump higher than a multistory house. It really works that way, making the attack "impossible", but I don't know how it works exactly
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16955 on: January 27, 2012, 08:18:22 am »

I genned a new world, and it has some vulcanoes, in the oceans.... do-able to embark there? I'm a bit afraid I'll either drown or burn the moment the seven dwarfs land
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16956 on: January 27, 2012, 08:39:14 am »

Does the population cap setting in the init file actually work? I've set my limit to 120 Dwarfs and it worked fine, reached exactly 120. Then another migrant wave appeared, what gives?  :-\

Your population is reported back to your parent civilization when the Liaison leaves the map after visiting you in the fall.  Migrant waves start moving toward you at that point, unless the Liaison reports that you were over the limit.  Those waves will take time to reach you, and reach you they will, regardless of what your population is by the time they get there.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16957 on: January 27, 2012, 09:08:09 am »

I've read that several times, but in my case the liaison didn't seem to have a whole lot to do with it.  It just took a few seasons for migrants to stop showing up after I turned the pop cap on.

Seems that it's just a matter of migrants already being on the way to the fort, and turning the pop cap on doesn't affect migrant waves in progress.

I genned a new world, and it has some vulcanoes, in the oceans.... do-able to embark there? I'm a bit afraid I'll either drown or burn the moment the seven dwarfs land

I don't know, never embarked on a volcano, but why not give it a whirl and find out?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16958 on: January 27, 2012, 01:14:22 pm »

I'm ready to try my hand at my first magma pumpstack, but my experience with water is that it has a tendency to flow back, or at least that is what seemed to be happening. Can it flow back through the "exit" tile of the pump

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16959 on: January 27, 2012, 01:28:09 pm »

Can a dwarf civ regain a king if the current one is dead?  My civ in my fort atm has "no signifigant leaders" but my leader is still being promoted (countess atm) and I still get caravans, so I assume the civ itself isn't dead.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16960 on: January 27, 2012, 01:32:49 pm »

Can a dwarf civ regain a king if the current one is dead?  My civ in my fort atm has "no signifigant leaders" but my leader is still being promoted (countess atm) and I still get caravans, so I assume the civ itself isn't dead.
Due to the way that kings are set up if a king is dead at the end of world gen I'm fairly certain that you can't get another one. You might be able to get one by playing a year or so of adventure mode and then switching back to fortress mode, but even that I'm not sure about.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16961 on: January 27, 2012, 01:44:34 pm »

I'm ready to try my hand at my first magma pumpstack, but my experience with water is that it has a tendency to flow back, or at least that is what seemed to be happening. Can it flow back through the "exit" tile of the pump

I don't think it can flow backward through the pump or anything strange like that.  What you need to do is to build cisterns at the exit tiles of the pumps to catch the water / magma.

Check this out for some help on how to build them.  If you build cisterns for the pumps, you shouldn't have any problems with magma flowing in places it shouldn't.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

TheLazyPool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16962 on: January 27, 2012, 02:53:12 pm »

i have a 1tile wide "bridge" going north-south, out of constructed floor and i need to deconstruct one tile to break it up; the problem is that the northern part becomes unreachable after that and i cannot get my dwarfs to deconstruct it from the south, so the deconstructor will end up stranded. I have already tried traffic designations and burrows, but that didn't make any difference. A solution that does not involve lots of adhoc construction and impromptu scaffolding to realize would be much preferred...

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16963 on: January 27, 2012, 03:29:15 pm »

i have a 1tile wide "bridge" going north-south, out of constructed floor and i need to deconstruct one tile to break it up; the problem is that the northern part becomes unreachable after that and i cannot get my dwarfs to deconstruct it from the south, so the deconstructor will end up stranded. I have already tried traffic designations and burrows, but that didn't make any difference. A solution that does not involve lots of adhoc construction and impromptu scaffolding to realize would be much preferred...
Are the northern tiles constructed floor? If not, try assigning walls to be built there, but suspend them before they are completed.
If that doesn't work, build one wall directly north of the bridge tile and then try deconstructing it.

TheLazyPool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16964 on: January 27, 2012, 04:02:30 pm »

Are the northern tiles constructed floor? If not, try assigning walls to be built there, but suspend them before they are completed.
If that doesn't work, build one wall directly north of the bridge tile and then try deconstructing it.
It's all constructed floor, so i can't build a wall on it. I solved it meanwhile with a single tile temporary wall on the level below, so the floor-deconstructor could get away.
Pages: 1 ... 1129 1130 [1131] 1132 1133 ... 1178