Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1130 1131 [1132] 1133 1134 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123333 times)

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16965 on: January 27, 2012, 04:58:43 pm »

Order a floodgate to be built on the tile you DON'T want your dwarves to stand on. Then immediately suspend it and order the floor removed. Dwarves won't stand on tiles where furniture or buildings are scheduled to be built if they can avoid it, so they should remove the floor from the other side.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16966 on: January 27, 2012, 05:05:39 pm »

So, the wiki says windmills must have their central tile Outside. What happens if I build one and build a floor on a z-level above it, making it Inside?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Zaphod728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16967 on: January 27, 2012, 05:13:54 pm »

So i have dwarves that wont leave my traction benches. I assume that i just have a doctor that is secretly a dominatrix.
Two of the dwarves are still injured, but two have been healed for a while.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16968 on: January 27, 2012, 05:16:37 pm »

So, the wiki says windmills must have their central tile Outside. What happens if I build one and build a floor on a z-level above it, making it Inside?
I believe the windmill will stop generating power.

So i have dwarves that wont leave my traction benches. I assume that i just have a doctor that is secretly a dominatrix.
Have you tried deconstructing the benches?

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16969 on: January 27, 2012, 05:18:03 pm »

My bone carvers and weaponsmiths are constantly complaining about art defacement because some random goblin wandered off the map with one of their masterwork bolts in his butt. Any way to prevent this--short of not using my crossbow squad?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16970 on: January 27, 2012, 05:21:08 pm »

My bone carvers and weaponsmiths are constantly complaining about art defacement because some random goblin wandered off the map with one of their masterwork bolts in his butt. Any way to prevent this--short of not using my crossbow squad?
The more masterworks a dwarf has created, the milder the bad thought for losing one is.
So if you crank out a large amount of masterworks your dwarves won't be too depressed about losing some of them.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16971 on: January 27, 2012, 05:38:54 pm »

That specific negative thought's strenght is inversely proportionate to the total number of masterworks created by that dwarf. So, if it was his only masterwork ever, he might even go insane, and if it's one of 100, he'll hardly notice but the thought will be listed all the same. Just keep making the ammo using a few select professional dwarves, they'll make enough to avoid insanity :)
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16972 on: January 27, 2012, 06:05:01 pm »

The more masterworks a dwarf has created, the milder the bad thought for losing one is.
So if you crank out a large amount of masterworks your dwarves won't be too depressed about losing some of them.

Oh, so THAT's why when I accidentally dumped my siege engineer's one masterwork catapult part(out of the 90 or so I had lying around from training him up) he went berserk! Good to know in the future.

Now, my question is certainly gonna be a favorite. What pisses off the elves more, seizing goods from the traders, offering wooden goods, or outright killing the traders? And don't answer with killing the diplomat, I do that already
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16973 on: January 27, 2012, 06:08:20 pm »

Trying to provoke war with them?  From my understanding this can be nigh impossible, no matter how many times you kill the merchants or steal their stuff.  I assume the wooden thing doesn't matter either.

I've honestly never tried to provoke war with them.

For what it's worth though, in a community fort I'm part of (admittedly pony mod), having a diplomat die on the map sparked war with another civilization (zebras, no idea if each species responds differently to this), so keep killing them and hope for the best?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16974 on: January 27, 2012, 06:10:21 pm »

It's a known bug.  Dwarves who don't need traction any more need to be manually released from the traction benches, but the job to do this seems to be very low-priority, assuming it triggers at all.  Dwarves can spend years in traction benches waiting to be released.  Check the dwarf's health screen, see if he still shows as needing traction, and if he doesn't manually deconstruct the traction bench to release him.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

TheLazyPool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16975 on: January 27, 2012, 06:38:35 pm »

one of my waterbuffallos just starved to death... standing in the corner of a vast pasture that still had tons of grass, just the north-western corner was already mowed. What can i do to prevent something like this? And what can i do with the corpse? I queued a butcher job, but the butcher cancelled 'needs nearby unrotten corpse'. It can't be rotten yet though, so is it just impossible to butcher animals that are already dead and i can only leave it to rot?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16976 on: January 27, 2012, 06:45:43 pm »

Tame animals which die from any cause other than being deliberately slaughtered at a butcher's shop cannot be butchered.  You can't do anything with its corpse.

Water buffaloes are nearly impossible to keep alive in the current version.  I have managed to keep them alive by giving each one its own pasture and manually rotating them to new pastures when they eat too much of the old one.  Not really worth it IMHO, stick to sheep and goats.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

TheLazyPool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16977 on: January 27, 2012, 07:17:00 pm »

Ok thx (until a few minutes ago i didn't know that grass on mountain biomes doesn't grow back, moved all pastures to another part of the map, i hope that might make starvation less likely).
An other question though: I have read the relevant wiki pages, but i didn't really understand taming yet (always get cancellation with 'needs small tamable live creature'). Could someone please give me a short summary of the steps necessary to make the roaming herds of mountain goats i have on this map usable for food/wool?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16978 on: January 27, 2012, 07:30:07 pm »

An other question though: I have read the relevant wiki pages, but i didn't really understand taming yet (always get cancellation with 'needs small tamable live creature'). Could someone please give me a short summary of the steps necessary to make the roaming herds of mountain goats i have on this map usable for food/wool?
Most animals are untameable without removing their exotic tag, or having a dungeon master (who doesn't appear in the current version).
To tame a tamable animal, have the animal within a cage and assign a "tame large animal" job at a kennel.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16979 on: January 27, 2012, 07:55:33 pm »

Taming a small animal is for taming bats or rats or other small useless animals you catch with the Trapping job.  To tame mountain goats, you use the Tame Large Animal job, but first you need to catch some of the goats in a cage trap.
Pages: 1 ... 1130 1131 [1132] 1133 1134 ... 1178