Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1120 1121 [1122] 1123 1124 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123573 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16815 on: January 18, 2012, 11:38:02 am »

baby dragon questions: I've got a male dragon in a trap and since I just removed all the exotic tags from everything, I now have a tame dragon. Unfortunately, it seems it's just a baby (200 year worldgen history) and can't even fight off a single goblin. It was only bruised, but my militia marksdwarfs had to save it. thank the gods it didn't breathe fire or all would have been caught in the blast, like a fisherdwarf was who came out for a troll fur sock

so back to the question: what is the chance of a female dragon showing up and how long do I have to wait untill the dragon grows strong enough to actually be a threath to anything? Or should I train it on badgers or something?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #16816 on: January 18, 2012, 11:55:57 am »

i suppose until it gets adult.
which means a thousand years.
now, there is a way (somebody had the hypothesis of a thousand year fort somewhere).
first off: deactivate time pausing when events pop up, then create a fortress which is self sufficient and closed in itself. once you think you have enough migrants, people, increase farming. you will need farming.
using clay and sand you may build farm plots. use them to stockpile on different types of vegetables.
have two types be enabled for cooking and have the others for booze.
close everything and pray you haven't overlooked anything.
also, deactivate moods.
do this with a pc who has the "problem" of going over 300 fps per second. should take a couple of weeks.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16817 on: January 18, 2012, 01:31:51 pm »

great. And you overlooked the fact that farming has a tendency to overflow, which would cause you to run out of pots after a while
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #16818 on: January 18, 2012, 01:43:29 pm »

Then you could use a mixture of df-fusion and what not.
If you could manage to set the baby dragon to belong to your civilization, to say, you could then have a world be genned and a thousand year pass.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16819 on: January 18, 2012, 02:13:28 pm »

he dragon incinerated three goblins, one marksdwarf and set the map on fire, killing a legendary wood cutter who had run out to get a sock

I think I need more practice

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16820 on: January 18, 2012, 02:15:44 pm »

Would setting 'Farmers Only' farm, prevent overflowing?  And possibly No Mix, so food isn't wasted on mixtures.  I'm curious how this would operate.  A fortress should have all interrupts off, so this is possible by default.  This is one of the cool features of DF, as I see things, from my lowly perspective.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16821 on: January 18, 2012, 03:51:35 pm »

Would setting 'Farmers Only' farm, prevent overflowing?  And possibly No Mix, so food isn't wasted on mixtures.  I'm curious how this would operate.  A fortress should have all interrupts off, so this is possible by default.  This is one of the cool features of DF, as I see things, from my lowly perspective.

Sincerely,
Knutor
No Mix just means that they won't mix food types, (so rat meat goes in one barrel, bird meat in another, etc.) so it would make you run out of barrels/pots even faster.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Jaylow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fleet
« Reply #16822 on: January 18, 2012, 04:35:11 pm »

why is on the main DF page the 01/18/2012  post empty :)
History always has a few tricks up its frayed sleeve. It's been around a long time.
Creators aren't gods. They make places, which is quite hard. It's men that make gods. This explains a lot.
One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather.
This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #16823 on: January 18, 2012, 04:41:43 pm »

Good question! Presumably we'll get a devlog once Toady realizes his mistake :P

Jaylow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fleet
« Reply #16824 on: January 18, 2012, 05:05:02 pm »

Good question! Presumably we'll get a devlog once Toady realizes his mistake :P

maybe DF is joining Wikipedia in  the blackout
History always has a few tricks up its frayed sleeve. It's been around a long time.
Creators aren't gods. They make places, which is quite hard. It's men that make gods. This explains a lot.
One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather.
This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.

Relapse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16825 on: January 18, 2012, 07:23:55 pm »

Are the middle left and right tiles of a magma forge the unpassable ones? Any advice on setting them up?

Still curious, probably got over looked...

rufio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16826 on: January 18, 2012, 07:32:34 pm »

Some questions:

It seems like I only get any flux anywhere on a map every third try or so.  I search for embark sites and specify that there should be flux stone, but none of the sites the search returns actually has any.  I eventually managed to get a site on a world that claimed it had shallow metal and deep metal and flux stone, but after embarking it looked like the entire map was made out of nothing but mudstone, limonite and clay, which is boring (and none of which is flux).  [ETA: My bad - according to DFHack there are also 3 tiles of granite somewhere.]  I've been setting the worldgen to resources being frequent or everywhere.  Is that setting just broken?  Is there any way to go back to the old embark screen where it actually tells you what layers there are, so you don't have to reembark so many times?

Completely unrelatedly, what's an effective strategy for breeding birds?  My dwarves would keep snatching up and cooking the eggs before I noticed them, and you can only take eggs off the menu at the kitchen when there actually are eggs, by which time it's probably already too late.  Is there a way that doesn't involve turning off food hauling for everyone for some indefinite time until the eggs get laid?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:46:08 pm by rufio »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16827 on: January 18, 2012, 07:49:39 pm »

Are the middle left and right tiles of a magma forge the unpassable ones? Any advice on setting them up?
That is correct. For the forge to function, you need at least a single tile under the forge filled with magma, with no floor between the magma and forge.

Some questions:

It seems like I only get any flux anywhere on a map every third try or so.  I search for embark sites and specify that there should be flux stone, but none of the sites the search returns actually has any.  I eventually managed to get a site on a world that claimed it had shallow metal and deep metal and flux stone, but after embarking it looked like the entire map was made out of nothing but mudstone, limonite and clay, which is boring (and none of which is flux).  I've been setting the worldgen to resources being frequent or everywhere.  Is that setting just broken?  Is there any way to go back to the old embark screen where it actually tells you what layers there are, so you don't have to reembark so many times?

Completely unrelatedly, what's an effective strategy for breeding birds?  My dwarves would keep snatching up and cooking the eggs before I noticed them, and you can only take eggs off the menu at the kitchen when there actually are eggs, by which time it's probably already too late.  Is there a way that doesn't involve turning off food hauling for everyone for some indefinite time until the eggs get laid?
Are you absolutely certain that there are no metals/flux on the maps? How far down have you dug? I've never had a problem like this.
The only way to get the old embark screen is to actually play using an older version (I believe that anything before 31.21 has the old embark screen, but I could be mistaken).

For bird breeding, forbid the eggs as soon as they are laid, or put the nest boxes and birds in a room and lock the door.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16828 on: January 18, 2012, 08:02:08 pm »

A way to easily tell which tiles of a building are unpassable is to notice the color of the X's. A dark green "x" means unpassable, while a light green one means passable. As for setting them up, it's generally a good idea to put the magma spot of a workshop underneath an unpassable tile in order to help prevent things from crawling out or your dwarves accidentally falling in.

Also just a note about breeding birds: if you do put them in a room try to make sure there is a couple of extra spaces around, or the instant the eggs hatch the new mothers and babies will immediately start lashing out at each other since they are crowded.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Relapse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16829 on: January 18, 2012, 08:04:24 pm »

put the nest boxes and birds in a room and lock the door.

This, I generally let the first generation hatch, butcher all but one male and then harvest the bounty of eggs.
Pages: 1 ... 1120 1121 [1122] 1123 1124 ... 1178