Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1119 1120 [1121] 1122 1123 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123572 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16800 on: January 16, 2012, 02:09:28 pm »

so, building the cage next to the pit and pitting them, I guess
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Jaylow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fleet
« Reply #16801 on: January 16, 2012, 05:54:25 pm »

how can i make a pasture (field for animal's) so i can breed more goats
History always has a few tricks up its frayed sleeve. It's been around a long time.
Creators aren't gods. They make places, which is quite hard. It's men that make gods. This explains a lot.
One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather.
This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16802 on: January 16, 2012, 06:30:44 pm »

how can i make a pasture (field for animal's) so i can breed more goats
Make a zone through the [i] menu and assign it as a pasture.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16803 on: January 16, 2012, 07:00:00 pm »

(i), then (n) and then (N) to select te animal. note that often, males in  cage can still vertilize
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Tecknojock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16804 on: January 16, 2012, 09:28:26 pm »

For some reason, on my jobs list, the hi-lighted job is hi-lighted in black which makes my current selection unreadable. How do I go about changing what color the hi-lighted option is using?

I consulted the wiki and google but could not find my answer.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16805 on: January 16, 2012, 10:29:28 pm »

For some reason, on my jobs list, the hi-lighted job is hi-lighted in black which makes my current selection unreadable. How do I go about changing what color the hi-lighted option is using?

I consulted the wiki and google but could not find my answer.

Only way I know is to to copy the save files, then reinstall DF, but if you use mods or tilesets, etc, that might take a while.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

monjoe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16806 on: January 16, 2012, 11:31:33 pm »

This particular embark site is giving me about 30 fps. Besides a river flowing down one z-level there is also a bunch of carp. Is it the carp causing these problems? How do I fix this?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16807 on: January 17, 2012, 12:00:13 am »

This particular embark site is giving me about 30 fps. Besides a river flowing down one z-level there is also a bunch of carp. Is it the carp causing these problems? How do I fix this?
reveal to see if there are anything underground causing trouble, like a pool draining into the magma sea
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16808 on: January 17, 2012, 02:29:03 am »

I'm trying to (mostly) naturally bring about the Age of Death/Emptiness, and it looks impossible if a dwarven civilization is spawned. Every last dwarf can be dead for a thousand years and it still claims it's the Age of the Dwarf.

Is there any way to get the age change to trigger? I'd really like to start a fort in the Age of Emptiness and that looks impossible at the moment.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #16809 on: January 17, 2012, 05:45:30 am »

I'm trying to (mostly) naturally bring about the Age of Death/Emptiness, and it looks impossible if a dwarven civilization is spawned. Every last dwarf can be dead for a thousand years and it still claims it's the Age of the Dwarf.

Is there any way to get the age change to trigger? I'd really like to start a fort in the Age of Emptiness and that looks impossible at the moment.

civilization of dwarfs only spawn with more than 300 of height (hills/mountains).
so generate with advanced parameter a world with less height than that and it "should" work.
Though you should note that since your own dorfs are, well, "dorfs" you "are" the age of the dwarf.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16810 on: January 17, 2012, 02:17:11 pm »

alright... one of my militairy was injured on one foot, and is now not crawling to get healed, nor is anyone helping him... why?

never mind, as I should have guessed, helping out another dwarf is very low priority
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 03:20:42 pm by Garath »

Urist McEngineer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16811 on: January 17, 2012, 04:47:51 pm »

2 little questions.

1. If I mine flat a mountain and use the local river to irrigate the top of the massive Obsidian Rock layer(s) I found will grasses and trees start to grow there?

2. If you have soil in your fortress, and you dig outside your fortress to the caverns. Will trees and mosses start to grow in the soil of the fortress, eventho there is no direct underground connection to the caverns?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16812 on: January 17, 2012, 06:54:16 pm »

2 little questions.

1. If I mine flat a mountain and use the local river to irrigate the top of the massive Obsidian Rock layer(s) I found will grasses and trees start to grow there?

2. If you have soil in your fortress, and you dig outside your fortress to the caverns. Will trees and mosses start to grow in the soil of the fortress, eventho there is no direct underground connection to the caverns?
1. I don't think aboveground plants will grow in a mountain biome.

2. Yes.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16813 on: January 18, 2012, 08:47:13 am »

A dwarf with a Station order will stand on a random spot within 3 tiles of the location you specify.  So make a 4x4 danger room with no other tiles within a 3-tile radius of one of the corners, and then set the Station order to that corner.  You could even do it with a 4x1 room, if you're short on resources -- you just need to make sure there's plenty of natural stone/soil around the dead end.

Err... it turns out I hadn't hit Reload, and I was responding to a post from 5 pages back.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Relapse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16814 on: January 18, 2012, 10:19:08 am »

Are the middle left and right tiles of a magma forge the unpassable ones? Any advice on setting them up?
Pages: 1 ... 1119 1120 [1121] 1122 1123 ... 1178