Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1118 1119 [1120] 1121 1122 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123593 times)

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16785 on: January 15, 2012, 02:27:42 pm »

i breached the river  but the water only flows a 110 tiles to a room and then stops, and all tiles are  like 1 or 2 deep at that point
is this normal?

i was thinking, if i breach a river  it will flow  as much as it has room and fill up everthing to 7/7

A river can only bring water onto the map at a certain speed, so a narrow river will produce less than a wide one.  If it spreads out too much, water starts to evaporate (any tile with less than 3 water on it, if I recall correctly).  So if you've got a small, 4-tile-wide river trying to fill up a giant wide/long corridor, then the water will potentially evaporate quicker than it can arrive on the map...which is what it sounds like has happened to you.

The easiest way to deal with this is to build floodgates or bridges at regular intervals along your water corridor, so you can open/close them at will.  Start off by filling the first small section, then open up the second section and wait until it's full too, then the third, and so on.  If you can keep the water levels above 3/7, the water won't evaporate.

Also, damming the outwards-end of the river means the water will ONLY be able to go along your corridor, which may help.  Beware of waterfalls and water pressure, though - check the wiki for potential problems.  :)
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16786 on: January 15, 2012, 03:05:33 pm »

What's the quickest way and easiest way to increase dwarfs happiness? I'm making an artificial waterfall in my dining room and in my main entrance. 

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16787 on: January 15, 2012, 04:03:36 pm »

legendary dining hall, legendary statue garden
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Jaylow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fleet
« Reply #16788 on: January 15, 2012, 04:13:02 pm »

how can i  close a tunnel full of water, without caveins?
could i dig  i channel above it  dump some rock in it? 
History always has a few tricks up its frayed sleeve. It's been around a long time.
Creators aren't gods. They make places, which is quite hard. It's men that make gods. This explains a lot.
One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather.
This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16789 on: January 15, 2012, 04:19:07 pm »

Objects (including dumped rocks) will not block water, no matter how many you dump in the channel.  You either need to block it with a cave-in, or use a pump to divert the water long enough to build a wall.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Kalphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16790 on: January 15, 2012, 08:03:00 pm »

Are Volcanos and related items (pool/pipe/etc) really rare in the most recent version?  I just genned three worlds and am having a heck of a time finding any.

What's the trick for finding them?

Jaylow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fleet
« Reply #16791 on: January 15, 2012, 08:07:54 pm »

kalphoenix >i am wondering the same...

but ihad a other Q.
i dont get BABY_CHILD_CAP   100 ~ 1000 thing
how do i stop them from having so much baby's

i changed it a bit but they are still  making babys like rabbits
History always has a few tricks up its frayed sleeve. It's been around a long time.
Creators aren't gods. They make places, which is quite hard. It's men that make gods. This explains a lot.
One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather.
This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16792 on: January 15, 2012, 08:13:54 pm »

Are Volcanos and related items (pool/pipe/etc) really rare in the most recent version?  I just genned three worlds and am having a heck of a time finding any.

The maximum number of volcanos you get will be the minimum number defined by the world gen parameters. Volcanism seems to modify the number of subterranean magma pipes you will get.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

psyc0lops

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16793 on: January 15, 2012, 08:15:42 pm »

You can gen a world with advanced parameters and get a world with lots of volcanoes, put the following in your world_gen.txt in in the init folder and gen a world using it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The volcananism and volcano_min values are what give you lots of volcanoes.

I have a question, I remember reading a while ago that there is a way to make workshops create multiple items of the same type , i.e. have a workshop make 99x rock pots then other things after without using the repeat option. Anyone know how to do this?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #16794 on: January 15, 2012, 09:20:17 pm »

kalphoenix >i am wondering the same...

but ihad a other Q.
i dont get BABY_CHILD_CAP   100 ~ 1000 thing
how do i stop them from having so much baby's

i changed it a bit but they are still  making babys like rabbits

The first number is an absolute cap- by default, no more than 100 babies in the fort. The second number is a percent of the adults, so you could set it to, say 10 and never have more than 10 babies per 100 adults.

Setting either value to zero makes pregnancies not happen. It does not stop migrant children, or migrants who arrive pregnant, or pregnancies from before you changed it.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16795 on: January 16, 2012, 12:06:44 am »

I have a question, I remember reading a while ago that there is a way to make workshops create multiple items of the same type , i.e. have a workshop make 99x rock pots then other things after without using the repeat option. Anyone know how to do this?
You'll need to make a custom reaction for each item you want to be made in batches. You can easily add reactions to make 5 rock pots from 5 stones, 100 pots from 100 stones, or cheat and make 100 pots from 1 stone.
Check the modding forum, you can get info on how to do it there.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16796 on: January 16, 2012, 01:16:42 am »

You can use the manager, which can be reached with [j]obs->[m]anager.
If you don't have a manager, you can assign one through the [n]obles screen.

Tecknojock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Changing interface colors
« Reply #16797 on: January 16, 2012, 11:01:37 am »

For some reason, on my jobs list, the hi-lighted job is hi-lighted in black which makes my current selection unreadable. How do I go about changing what color the hi-lighted option is using?

I consulted the wiki and google but could not find my answer.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16798 on: January 16, 2012, 12:19:08 pm »

how deep does a pit have to be if I want animals to splatter? And does this work on tame animals too if I want to butcher them afterwards?

Elephants seem to breed as fast as dogs, except the don't grow up as fast
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16799 on: January 16, 2012, 12:57:51 pm »

how deep does a pit have to be if I want animals to splatter? And does this work on tame animals too if I want to butcher them afterwards?

Elephants seem to breed as fast as dogs, except the don't grow up as fast

Sadly, you can't butcher dead tame animals, you have to come up with an automated wild elephant death factory design. On the plus side, wild elephants don't starve to death. 10 levels will suffice.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:25:41 am by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."
Pages: 1 ... 1118 1119 [1120] 1121 1122 ... 1178