Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1063 1064 [1065] 1066 1067 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124426 times)

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15960 on: November 04, 2011, 12:27:00 pm »

Check and see if:

a) The pants are forbidden. (d)-(b)-(c) will allow you to claim things; if forbidden, the pants will show up green, and you simply designate that square to be claimed and relocated to a finished goods stockpile if you have one.

b) One of your dwarves called dibs on the pants and doesn't have a place to stash them. Dwarves won't touch someone else's belongings, so if this is the case you'll either need to clear the ownership tags with a hack or to give the owner a bedroom with a cabinet so they can put the pants away.

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15961 on: November 04, 2011, 12:39:02 pm »

I already had tried that.
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15962 on: November 04, 2011, 01:07:15 pm »

I already had tried that.
Had you tried the orders->refuse->outside thing zerosum mentioned?

Because if you haven't the Dwarves won't touch trash that's outside. Goods goods marked for dumping are considered trash. Which means they can't dump the pants, and they can't move the pants, and you're screwed. Until you do the (o)rders -> (r)efuse -> (o)utside thing.

If you've tried that, and you've tried claiming the damn things, it's likely a dorf owns them. It's not hard to get that dwarf to move them, you just have to give him a bedroom. In my latest fort I'm using a single huge 11*11 room, all smoothed and engraved, with a bed for every dwarf. They all dump their clothes on the floor, and are ecstatic with their wonderful room, despite the fact they share it with 50 other dwarves, and it's also the Dining room, the office for the entire nobility, etc.

It's a bit exploitey, but you may have to do something like that to get around this buggy Dwarven behavior.

Nick

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15963 on: November 04, 2011, 01:44:37 pm »

If I add training weapons to an existing uniform, and the dwarves enter combat, which weapon would they prefer to use(assuming same quality), the taining weapon or the metal one? I'm asking because I don't want to use an entire uniform set(if possible) just for training equipment for beating on captured gobbos
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #15964 on: November 04, 2011, 01:47:01 pm »

They would use the training weapons for combat.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15965 on: November 04, 2011, 03:27:52 pm »

If you bought it from the elves
Not that this changes much, since even hostile giants and the like are easier to deal with when caged than capybaras.

capybaras == R.O.U.S.es
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 03:47:05 pm by khearn »
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15966 on: November 04, 2011, 03:43:50 pm »

If I add training weapons to an existing uniform, and the dwarves enter combat, which weapon would they prefer to use(assuming same quality), the taining weapon or the metal one? I'm asking because I don't want to use an entire uniform set(if possible) just for training equipment for beating on captured gobbos

If the uniform has two weapons, I think they'll hold both weapons (in the same hand).  I don't really know how this affects combat, but reference one and reference two seem to indicate the dwarf attacks with one weapon preferentially, and only attacks with the other in case the first one is temporarily unavailable (stuck in a wound, etc.).

If that's the case, giving your dwarf a training weapon and a regular weapon should cause her to attack only with the regular weapon, unless that gets stuck/dropped, in which case she'll attack with the training weapon.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15967 on: November 04, 2011, 05:45:19 pm »

My embark is 4x4 squares, how many ingame tiles is that?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15968 on: November 04, 2011, 06:05:06 pm »

Each embark square is 48X48 fortress-mode tiles.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15969 on: November 04, 2011, 06:51:44 pm »

Can underground crops be planted in "above ground" tiles? My farm is "inside", but to irrigate it I had to make the tiles into "above ground", by channeling the tiles above them. I've already built floors on those channeled tiles, but no dwarf plants anything. Every single one of them has Farming (Fields) activated...
What can I do?
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15970 on: November 04, 2011, 06:55:41 pm »

Can underground crops be planted in "above ground" tiles? My farm is "inside", but to irrigate it I had to make the tiles into "above ground", by channeling the tiles above them. I've already built floors on those channeled tiles, but no dwarf plants anything. Every single one of them has Farming (Fields) activated...
What can I do?

You cannot plant underground plants on those tiles.  If a tile has ever been exposed to light, it is forever classed as 'light' and unsuitable for underground plants.  If you have aboveground plants, you can plant them there instead.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15971 on: November 04, 2011, 08:59:00 pm »

Also if you make an underground farm plot and then dig it out, the game freaks out and usually nothing on the plot works at all. If you want an aboveground plot (that is still located below ground level), you need to dig the tiles out first and then build your plot there.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #15972 on: November 04, 2011, 09:12:33 pm »

Will food grow on muddy constructions still?

It worked in 40d, and I do so love my skyfarms.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

GeorgiaPeanuts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15973 on: November 04, 2011, 09:29:28 pm »

Is it a bug that often times barrels used for like food that I am assuming are empty from like a general initial stockpile when you split your food to its own stockpile those barrels don't get moved there and then they never get used. (I suspect they are empty cause otherwise I would assume they would be moved as some of the barrels did get moved)

To workaround I just have to remove the whole stockpile designation that they reside in, then they get moved to the right stockpile then I just recreate the stockpile it was in before.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15974 on: November 04, 2011, 09:40:57 pm »

Will food grow on muddy constructions still?

It worked in 40d, and I do so love my skyfarms.
I haven't done it myself, but I remember a recent thread on growing trees that said the answer was yes (and that it's yes for trees as well...surface trees were believed to require soil on the z-layer below them, but testing proved that to no longer be the case).
Pages: 1 ... 1063 1064 [1065] 1066 1067 ... 1178