Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1061 1062 [1063] 1064 1065 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124425 times)

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15930 on: November 02, 2011, 05:50:16 pm »

I believe the (o)rders menu has something about auto-collecting silk that you can toggle.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15931 on: November 02, 2011, 05:58:45 pm »

While I have a justice room, my imprisoned dwarves keep dying of thirst.

What is a good justice room design?  Is there a good way to prevent them from dying of thirst?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15932 on: November 02, 2011, 06:15:44 pm »

A wonderful way to keep imprisoned dwarves from dying is to use chains and not cages first. Then designate a stockpile in the 1 tile area around the chain that will hold some booze and another stockpile that will hold some food. Then if you really want to be nice you can also place a table, chair and bed. My general prison room looks like this:
B= bed | C=chair | T=table | '=' = stockpile | §=justice chain
Code: [Select]
BCT
=§=
= =
With the stockpile on the left holding booze and the one on the right holding prepared meals.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15933 on: November 02, 2011, 07:00:43 pm »

My brewer refuses to brew a drink claiming there are no available barrels. . but we have about 500+ barrels..How do I knock some sense into him?
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15934 on: November 02, 2011, 07:09:50 pm »

I'm really nice. I use three-floor prisons to give each dwarf their own 3x3 bedroom, but I don't bother with tables and chairs because other dwarves keep coming in and using them. Maybe I should put the tables and chairs back in and use a hatch to prevent random access?

My brewer refuses to brew a drink claiming there are no available barrels. . but we have about 500+ barrels..How do I knock some sense into him?
Are those barrels in the furniture stockpile ready to be used, or do they have food in them? If you go to 'p', there's an option for reserving barrels. This reserves that number of barrels for workshop tasks. In the meantime, make rock pots (uses Stonecrafter skill). They work like barrels do as far as storage is concerned.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15935 on: November 02, 2011, 08:01:20 pm »

No wait that wasn't what I really needed to ask.

Does the Butcher shop cause a stench that can generate bad thoughts if I put it indoors? How about a Fishery or a Tanner's shop?
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15936 on: November 02, 2011, 08:02:58 pm »

No, none of the workshops themselves will generate miasma, however if a corpse or raw hide is left in the workshop until it rots then the rotting item will produce miasma though. It's only really a problem if you don't have enough haulers to deal with your production lines.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

evillevi

• Bay Watcher
  • Love Boat murder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15937 on: November 03, 2011, 05:02:11 am »

can someone tell me the steps for the mass pitting cage since I can't get it right despite following the instrctions on the wiki. My glass maker had also ran into a problem with the lack of sand carrying bags error despite having enough sand or something similar
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 07:04:32 am by evillevi »
Love Boat murder

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15938 on: November 03, 2011, 10:06:45 am »

No, none of the workshops themselves will generate miasma, however if a corpse or raw hide is left in the workshop until it rots then the rotting item will produce miasma though. It's only really a problem if you don't have enough haulers to deal with your production lines.

It will definitely be a problem if you don't carefully manage your stockpiles AROUND the butcher. I continually find new random crap rotting in the stockpiles around my butcher shop, stuff that the butcher will not butcher.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15939 on: November 03, 2011, 10:57:39 am »

How far do I generally have to dig before I can start to expect seeing coal?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15940 on: November 03, 2011, 11:00:25 am »

In my experience, coal (if it's found at all) is usually found in the first few stone layers below the soil.  Coal is only found in a few types of stone however, and most sites don't have it at all.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15941 on: November 03, 2011, 11:00:34 am »

0 to infinity, depending on map
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15942 on: November 03, 2011, 11:06:28 am »

can someone tell me the steps for the mass pitting cage since I can't get it right despite following the instrctions on the wiki. My glass maker had also ran into a problem with the lack of sand carrying bags error despite having enough sand or something similar
Basically the only thing that mass pitting is is the placement of the cages containing the creatures you wish to pit directly next to the hole you wish to throw them into. Then there is a simple hatch placed over the hole to stop dwarves from freaking out at the goblins/FBs/whatever in the bottom of the pit. Then you just designate a pit zone and assign the creatures to it and because the cage is directly next to the hole, the dwarves will take the creature being pitted and nigh-instantly place it into the pitting zone, rendering the chance of it escaping minimal.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15943 on: November 03, 2011, 11:18:31 am »

In my experience, coal (if it's found at all) is usually found in the first few stone layers below the soil.  Coal is only found in a few types of stone however, and most sites don't have it at all.

So, do I just have to trade for it?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15944 on: November 03, 2011, 11:21:46 am »

I usually don't bother with coal much.  Every map has magma now, and once you breach the caverns it's easy to get trees if you absolutely need to make coke for steel.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 1061 1062 [1063] 1064 1065 ... 1178