Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1062 1063 [1064] 1065 1066 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124422 times)

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15945 on: November 03, 2011, 11:34:22 am »

I see! So you would recommend holding off on a metal industry until I strike magma, eh?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15946 on: November 03, 2011, 11:59:35 am »

It depends on how you plan on defending your fortress. If you are running a trap-dependent force, you could probably leave off until you can dig down until the magma. IF you are hoping to defend your fort with blood and steel of your dwarven defenders, you probably want to start chopping down some trees and get a metal industry started as soon as possible.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15947 on: November 03, 2011, 02:01:59 pm »

can someone tell me the steps for the mass pitting cage since I can't get it right despite following the instrctions on the wiki. My glass maker had also ran into a problem with the lack of sand carrying bags error despite having enough sand or something similar

So, to paraphrase: "I followed the instructions and it "didn't work", so can someone please give me the instructions again?"

OK:
   1. Dig out a room and another room of at least the same size directly below it.
   2. In the upper room channel out 6 openings into the lower room which are spaced exactly 2 tiles away from each other.
   3. Build floor hatches and place them over all of the openings.
   4. Place one big animal stockpile over the room such that every tile in the stockpile is adjacent (orthogonally and diagonally) to one of the hatches. Disable empty cages on the stockpile.
   5. Create one large pit zone that covers all of the openings such that all of them are part of the same pit zone.
   6. Disable all other animal stockpiles except for one empty-cage-only stockpile somewhere.
   7. Close the lower room off, fill it with traps, your military, turn it into a flood chamber, an arena, a 50 z-level pit, put a live dragon in it, or whatever sadistic sort of thing you want. This lower room is where the creatures will end up, so you get the idea.

Of course, those are the same instructions, so I doubt it will help much. Maybe if you tell us exactly what happened that makes you say you can't get it right, we might be able to tell you what you did wrong. But if we don't know what you did wrong, telling you the steps to take is pointless. You have already seen them on the wiki.

At a guess, I suspect you might be trying to pit either big animals or goblin thieves. Either of those will usually escape from your dwarves. The mass pitting system only really works with goblin soldiers and the less dangerous animals. I get 100% reliability with goblin soldiers, and pretty much 100% failure with goblin thieves. I don't know how to tell which animals it will work with, but giant olms are generally bad. I'd suspect anything that a goblin arrives mounted on would fail.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15948 on: November 03, 2011, 04:02:26 pm »

At a guess, I suspect you might be trying to pit either big animals or goblin thieves. Either of those will usually escape from your dwarves. The mass pitting system only really works with goblin soldiers and the less dangerous animals. I get 100% reliability with goblin soldiers, and pretty much 100% failure with goblin thieves. I don't know how to tell which animals it will work with, but giant olms are generally bad. I'd suspect anything that a goblin arrives mounted on would fail.

For me it wasn't actually the big animals that escaped, it was the smallish and supposedly agile ones. War elephants or rhinos brought by elves worked without a hitch, luckily, whereas things like capybaras escaped more often than not.

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #15949 on: November 03, 2011, 04:59:54 pm »

How many tiles is dwarf's sight? as in how far away do i have to have my ballista/catapults so that they wont just spend all their time running away!
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #15950 on: November 03, 2011, 05:09:47 pm »

Is there a quick and simple way to tell which of my dwarves are female and married? Call me crazy, but I don't like getting babies all over my danger room, so I'd like to keep potential moms out of my army.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15951 on: November 03, 2011, 05:20:25 pm »

How many tiles is dwarf's sight? as in how far away do i have to have my ballista/catapults so that they wont just spend all their time running away!
Dwarven sight range is around 20 tiles according to the wiki.

Is there a quick and simple way to tell which of my dwarves are female and married? Call me crazy, but I don't like getting babies all over my danger room, so I'd like to keep potential moms out of my army.
Other than going through them one at a time and checking their relationship status? None that I know of.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #15952 on: November 03, 2011, 05:26:13 pm »

Other than going through them one at a time and checking their relationship status? None that I know of.

Next question is, is it possible for dwarves to have bastard children yet? I've tagged all the married ladies with "Mom" and "Mom2B" job titles, but there are some who have a lover and aren't yet hitched.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15953 on: November 03, 2011, 06:44:05 pm »

From my testing, dwarves will never become scared if you keep a distance of 25 tiles between them and the goblins.  Closer than that, and the dwarves may become scared away.  It may differ depending on how observant that dwarf is.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15954 on: November 03, 2011, 06:46:09 pm »

Is there a quick and simple way to tell which of my dwarves are female and married?
If everyone has a bedroom, go into 'R'ooms and see which ones are shared.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15955 on: November 03, 2011, 07:42:11 pm »

Next question is, is it possible for dwarves to have bastard children yet? I've tagged all the married ladies with "Mom" and "Mom2B" job titles, but there are some who have a lover and aren't yet hitched.

As far as I can tell, female dwarves are sterile until they undergo the rite of marriage, at which time they can still only receive the spores of their husband.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15956 on: November 03, 2011, 08:27:36 pm »

For me it wasn't actually the big animals that escaped, it was the smallish and supposedly agile ones. War elephants or rhinos brought by elves worked without a hitch, luckily, whereas things like capybaras escaped more often than not.

If you bought it from the elves, it was tame and can be pitted safely, even if your dwarf has to drag it all the way across the map. It's wild animals that can escape while being pitted. I'm just not sure how to tell which ones are likely to do so.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15957 on: November 04, 2011, 02:16:39 am »

If you bought it from the elves

Note how I specifically used the term "war" elephants. I was talking about mounts the elves used when they invaded. Thus they were tame towards their former owners, but still hostile from my point of view.

Not that this changes much, since even hostile giants and the like are easier to deal with when caged than capybaras.

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15958 on: November 04, 2011, 12:16:10 pm »

I'm trying to build a road, but the dwarves refuse to comply because some dead goblin's pants are in the way or some shit. I marked the items for dumping but they refuse to touch them. How can I get my dwarves to dump these worthless items? I kind of need a road for MountainHome. .
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15959 on: November 04, 2011, 12:21:31 pm »

(o)rders -> (r)efuse -> (o)utside?
Pages: 1 ... 1062 1063 [1064] 1065 1066 ... 1178