Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1040 1041 [1042] 1043 1044 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124904 times)

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15615 on: October 19, 2011, 07:57:41 am »

My dwarf wants "stacked cloth" - I have sheep wool cloth (modded to be [YARN][SILK][THREAD_PLANT], as I removed caves). Unfortunately he refuses to use it. What may be wrong? (He also wants stone ("a quarry", but he collected it already).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It looks like you modded wool to be able to be used to produce yarn, silk, or plant fiber thread...I'm not sure that will work, I expect that the spinning job turns it into yarn, not yarn/silk/plant_thread. (You might have to use the "process plants" job to turn it into plant thread, which might work, or collect it as a web to turn it into silk thread, which seems unlikely to work without more modding, but you could always give it a go, it might, if that token is what makes something count as a collectable web.)

You can check whether your thread has all three types by trying to weave silk cloth, and trying to weave plant fiber cloth. I expect it's the weaving job that decides on the output type, that's probably why there are three different job types, and why moody dwarves care about the different types: the jobs produce fundamentally different items, not just the same item from different materials.

I suppose the easiest way to mod it would be a custom weaving job that produces plant fiber cloth from yarn, and one that produces silk cloth from yarn, or custom spinning jobs that produce plant fiber thread and silk thread from wool.

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #15616 on: October 19, 2011, 08:14:13 am »

How many tiles away do civilian dwarfs get spooked by enemies, aka, how far away do i set up my ballistas so they actaully still shoot
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15617 on: October 19, 2011, 08:29:05 am »

How many tiles away do civilian dwarfs get spooked by enemies, aka, how far away do i set up my ballistas so they actaully still shoot

25 tiles between the ballista operator and the target seems to work reliably, although it may vary from dwarf to dwarf.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15618 on: October 19, 2011, 10:10:51 am »

Does barracks quality matter?

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15619 on: October 19, 2011, 01:50:14 pm »

I have a refuse pile full of vermin carcasses, ligaments, hair and other stuff I want to atom smash, while keeping the shell and bone.

I tried [k-D] and dumping the junk in a garbage zone under the smasher but only a few carcasses got moved. Anything special I need to do to get the ligaments/hair/etc. moved to the dump? I'm wary of pulling the lever only to have an idle dorf decide to dump the debris at an inopportune moment.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15620 on: October 19, 2011, 02:21:33 pm »

What kinds of biomes tend to have sedimentary layers in them?
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15621 on: October 19, 2011, 02:59:05 pm »

I have a refuse pile full of vermin carcasses, ligaments, hair and other stuff I want to atom smash, while keeping the shell and bone.

I tried [k-D] and dumping the junk in a garbage zone under the smasher but only a few carcasses got moved. Anything special I need to do to get the ligaments/hair/etc. moved to the dump? I'm wary of pulling the lever only to have an idle dorf decide to dump the debris at an inopportune moment.

Why don't you build a wall and a door around the atomsmasher? Close it, and nobody can go there while you pull the lever.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15622 on: October 19, 2011, 03:48:48 pm »

A few questions:

[BONECARN]: sentients with this token will eat only meat (and bones?) So, what are the exact limitations? Can they eat prepared meals if there is a meat ingredient? Eggs? Cheese? Fish? Will they eat bones at all? Do cartilages and bones, or whole skeletons count as bones for them? Same for [CARNIVORE], I've seen carnivorous military creatures putting fish in their backpacks, though I'm not sure they ate it...

Weapon traps: how do I see if they are jammed? Corpses jamming them just disappear, only to reappear when a dwarf wanders there to clean the trap- not something that's always safe, so I'd prefer to restrict access if it's not completely necessary. Also, ranged weapons in weapon traps- do they need to be reloaded, or they just use their melee attacks anyway?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 04:09:16 pm by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15623 on: October 19, 2011, 04:12:03 pm »

Ranged weapons in weapon traps do need to be reloaded.  If you (t) the trap you should see ammo in it.  (Recently made a crossbow trap.)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15624 on: October 19, 2011, 04:26:51 pm »

Doing 't' over a non-ranged trap will display both construction materials and corpse if the trap is jammed.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15625 on: October 19, 2011, 04:53:37 pm »

Does barracks quality matter?
Not that I have noticed.  Maybe if your military guys sleep in there, but size seems to be the only thing with an effect at all, and that's only to make sure they don't get their learning slowed by being stood on while sparring.  I don't bother making it fancy outside of my own happiness.

What kinds of biomes tend to have sedimentary layers in them?
I don't think it is liked to biome.  I believe it's linked to volcanism, and volcanism does not effect biome generation.  Somebody might need to correct me, but I seem to notice they show up more in less volcanic areas.

[BONECARN]: sentients with this token will eat only meat (and bones?) So, what are the exact limitations? Can they eat prepared meals if there is a meat ingredient? Eggs? Cheese? Fish? Will they eat bones at all? Do cartilages and bones, or whole skeletons count as bones for them? Same for [CARNIVORE], I've seen carnivorous military creatures putting fish in their backpacks, though I'm not sure they ate it...
[Carnivore] civs can only eat raw meat (including sweetbreads and that other stuff like that) and (cleaned)fish.  They cannot eat any prepared meals(even 100% meat), cheese, plants, seeds, eggs, honey, royal jelly, or anything else I missed.  I think bonecarn is the same except bones appear on the menu.  I don't know for sure if skeletons count but I would think not, as they seem to be treated more as a corpse than a chunk.  I also doubt cartilage counts, since that was introduced after the tag was, and there hasn't been any indication of either tags getting their diets updated to take advantage of the useless bits.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 04:56:21 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15626 on: October 19, 2011, 11:13:49 pm »

My mayor needed giant cave swallow leather items made (normally he's great - just forbids quiver export, stuff like that). I had one GCSw on the map. I shot it with my military! My hunter returns it! Things are going amazing! The body hits the butcher and the butcher announced he's not going to touch it - Needs butcherable unrotten nearby item. The corpse is not rotten, and is directly in the center of the butchery. I checked the T menu for the butchery and the corpse is listed as TSK, tasked.

Can anyone tell me what this all means? Am I going to be able to get my mayor some tanned GCSw leather items from this endeavor?

EDIT: I see "Butcher an animal" in my jobs list, by a different guy than the dorf who said he wouldn't touch the thing. So I assume that's why it's tasked. Was there just some crossed wires about which butcher was getting the job or something?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 11:16:06 pm by nightwhips »
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15627 on: October 20, 2011, 12:06:39 am »

Sounds like that was probably the problem. Did you assign one of the butchery tasks yourself? Because that would definitely cause this to occur.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15628 on: October 20, 2011, 03:38:16 am »

Ranged weapon traps: are they any good? Do they shoot out of the tile they are on? Or it's just the same, or worse, effectiveness as a melee weapon, with the added burden of requiring reload?

About quality: what are the effects of quality (decorations included for trade goods and goblinite) in armor and weapons? Are they better, or just worth more dwarfbucks?

Masks: goblins bring me a good supply of those, but they show wear despite being made of iron and copper. WTF, since when does armor do that? Anyway, are they any good for face protection, something that no metal armor my dwarfs can manufacture offers to them?

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15629 on: October 20, 2011, 05:51:15 am »

My mayor needed giant cave swallow leather items made (normally he's great - just forbids quiver export, stuff like that). I had one GCSw on the map. I shot it with my military! My hunter returns it! Things are going amazing! The body hits the butcher and the butcher announced he's not going to touch it - Needs butcherable unrotten nearby item. The corpse is not rotten, and is directly in the center of the butchery. I checked the T menu for the butchery and the corpse is listed as TSK, tasked.

Can anyone tell me what this all means? Am I going to be able to get my mayor some tanned GCSw leather items from this endeavor?

EDIT: I see "Butcher an animal" in my jobs list, by a different guy than the dorf who said he wouldn't touch the thing. So I assume that's why it's tasked. Was there just some crossed wires about which butcher was getting the job or something?

The problem is the corpse was probably tasked for hauling to the stockpile.

It often works this way :
- Hunter kills critter
- hunter brings back critter to the butchery
- butcher job is generated
- random hauler notices critter, and decides to take it to the refuse pile. Critter is still in the butchery (the hauler isn't there yet), but it is tasked for hauling
- butcher decides to take butcher job, but the critter is already tasked, and he can't find another
- butcher cancels butcher job
- hauler takes the critter, and drops it in the refuse pile
- the critter's corpse automatically generates a new butcher job in the butchery
- butcher takes the critter in the pile, brings it to the butchery, and butchers it.

So it's a little frustrating with all the messages, but basically harmless. Unless the 'critter' is a multi-dozen-tons-MB that takes weeks to haul, of course  ;)

I have a question of my own on the butcher job : My military killed some buzzards on my map, but only a few of them have been butchered. The 'mutilated buzzard corpses' are not recognised by the butcher. Is it because they're too small/damaged to generate any food?
Pages: 1 ... 1040 1041 [1042] 1043 1044 ... 1178