Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1039 1040 [1041] 1042 1043 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124892 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15600 on: October 18, 2011, 10:53:11 am »

How can i keep prepared food out of barrels?

Create two (or more) food stockpiles.  In one, permit only prepared food and set the maximum barrels to zero.  In the other, set everything but prepared food and leave the maximum barrels at maximum.

Better yet, create a separate food stockpile set to permit only booze and leave maximum barrels set to max on that, and then create other food stockpiles set to permit everything but booze with maximum barrels set to zero.

In my fortresses I tend to have dozens of separate food stockpiles for various purposes, with different food types allowed in each one and barrels set to zero for everything that doesn't need barrels.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15601 on: October 18, 2011, 10:53:29 am »

No, the reserve barrels option is a fortwide option. You can simply leave the stockpiles set up as they were before, but the dwarves will make sure to leave a certain amount of barrels so that they can only be filled by workshop tasks (brewing for example). If you want to stop dwarves from placing all prepared food in barrels however, I suggest that you make a stockpile that only accepts prepared food and has barrels disabled, and then you disable prepared food on all of your other stockpiles. This is actually a somewhat good idea, as many larger prepared foods will fill up an entire barrel by themselves where the same barrel might be able to hold several smaller stacks of some other farm crop like plump helmets.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15602 on: October 18, 2011, 11:56:35 am »

I've noticed a strange thing where a tame animal that is rotten from FB syndrome is attacked by my own traps. is this a known bug?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15603 on: October 18, 2011, 11:57:52 am »

The tame animal is probably passing out from pain or dizzyness or something, and therefore getting hit by the traps.  Not a bug as such, just the normal behavior in that case.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15604 on: October 18, 2011, 03:36:34 pm »

Can furniture be traded? I've got some lovely statues I'd like to sell, but I don't see them in the menu.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15605 on: October 18, 2011, 04:46:30 pm »

Yes, you can trade furniture, but it's only listed in the "all" menu.

The smart way to trade furniture is to use the search feature: hit 's' when selecting items to move to the depot, then type 'table' and you'll be able to track down those lousy -table-s that are filling up your furniture stockpiles, and make room for more ☼table☼s.

I find it a bit annoying that you can't look at all furniture at once, but one type at a time works pretty well using the search feature.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15606 on: October 18, 2011, 04:55:32 pm »

Can dwarves "dodge" flying rocks (from a catapult)?  Ie. can i train them in dodging by bombarding them with siege weaponry?

Not so sure about catapults but I know Ballista arrows can be dodged, doesn't seem to happen often but that may just be due to the goblin grunts not having much skill.

Of course using it as a training method may be...difficult...due to the consequences of failure.  See, while extreme training methods are all well and good, you need to have a balance between "A 3 legged kitten could pass these tests" and "Only Chuck Norris could hope to survive these tests".  Your proposed method seems to fall a little bit too close to the Chuck Norris side.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15607 on: October 18, 2011, 07:27:43 pm »

What labors are used to make an adamantine robe? The orders have been sitting queued up in my forge for a long time, with lots of adamantine cloth available, but no one is stepping up to make them.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #15608 on: October 18, 2011, 07:58:50 pm »

Your proposed method seems to fall a little bit too close to the Chuck Norris side.

I see no problem here.  We suffer from over population anyway. Thisll help train the ol' dorf butchers.  Plus it should provide me with a solid 2 ish hours of entertainment and !!FUN!! at minimum.  It's time for some !!SCIENCE!!
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15609 on: October 18, 2011, 10:48:10 pm »

I can SEE paths to both cave spider and giant cave spider silk webs. Anyone got any hints for this one?
I just did a bit of checking and having auto-collect turned on does cause cancellation spam when webs are in a sealed cavern. I tried forbidding webs that were on impassable workshop tiles and finally all webs, and only the latter stopped the auto-collect spam.

Hmm...so it should be possible to forbid all webs from the stocks menu, then d-b-c the webs you know can be collected. I've had a few issues with web collection spam, myself, since my second cavern is open but the first is sealed.

It may have to be repeated on a regular basis, as additional inaccessible webs are created.

I will give this a shot. I just don't understand why now, you know? The second layer has been open nearly as long as the first because I had no trees and went for magma immediately.

As for the question about burrows, at one point I burrowed a single weaver to an area with webs, and that worked fine, but eventually he cleaned them out and I had killed enough trogs that the cavern seemed safer, so I deleted that burrow. Currently the only burrow in existence now is the Home Burrow for goblin events, and it is decidedly not on.

I wonder if somehow one of the 2nd layer webs is now the shortest path. That still seems odd because I know there are some webs that have grown in my tunnels, and that are quite close to the stairwell. Will report back.

I "fixed" this by turning web auto-collect off, then back on. No more spam, and lots of collecting.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15610 on: October 19, 2011, 05:18:55 am »

Is there any way of adjusting how many points you can distribute into skills at the start of adventure mode other than switching between the 3 presets?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15611 on: October 19, 2011, 06:53:46 am »

@above - use "Prepare Carefully"

My dwarf wants "stacked cloth" - I have sheep wool cloth (modded to be [YARN][SILK][THREAD_PLANT], as I removed caves). Unfortunately he refuses to use it. What may be wrong? (He also wants stone ("a quarry", but he collected it already).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15612 on: October 19, 2011, 07:43:48 am »

Not sure what your modding does to things, but generally, getting stuck on cloth means they want something you don't have.  If you have plant cloth, they want silk.  If you have silk, they want wool, that kind of thing.
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15613 on: October 19, 2011, 07:45:52 am »

My dwarf wants "stacked cloth" - I have sheep wool cloth (modded to be [YARN][SILK][THREAD_PLANT], as I removed caves). Unfortunately he refuses to use it. What may be wrong? (He also wants stone ("a quarry", but he collected it already).

Did you do the mod before creating the world?  If you did the mod after creating the world, did you do it to the default raws or the copy of the raws in the region save folder?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15614 on: October 19, 2011, 07:48:06 am »

Did you do the mod before creating the world?  If you did the mod after creating the world, did you do it to the default raws or the copy of the raws in the region save folder?
Copy of the raws, after start of the mood.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.
Pages: 1 ... 1039 1040 [1041] 1042 1043 ... 1178