Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1002 1003 [1004] 1005 1006 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126009 times)

KVC627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15045 on: September 11, 2011, 10:53:29 am »

Is pet burial broken?

I have coffins marked citizen N and pet Y and yet when my named pets get killed they are ending up in the refuse pile, instead of the coffins.  There are no burrows, nothing is forbidden (unless it is set that way at the start..) and I have plenty of people with nothing to do.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #15046 on: September 11, 2011, 11:10:52 am »

Do stairs conduct pressurized liquids?

I am trying to make a Pressurized-Magma Volcano. I'd like to know if the vertical part of the Magma conduit can be made of stairs instead of channels.

I am aware of course that stairs allow liquids to pass... the question is: do they retain pressure?

Bump.
Never pet a burning dog.

Jaylow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fleet
« Reply #15047 on: September 11, 2011, 11:18:50 am »

when i started playing DF way back i has a FPS of 5 with 8 dwarfs..
now i have a fort with 89 dwarf and a FPS of 125,

would it be smart to set the max dwarf to 125?
normaly i played with 80 dwarfs at a FPS of 50...
and do i get any new nobels afther 100 dwarfs?
i only have a duchy now i wonder when i get a queen

and does anyone play with the nobels that you need to change the files to get, like a Dungeon Master?

i would really like to get the  Outpost liaison,sheriff,Diplomat,dungeon master,Forced Administrator,Hammerer
and a lot more nobels .....
History always has a few tricks up its frayed sleeve. It's been around a long time.
Creators aren't gods. They make places, which is quite hard. It's men that make gods. This explains a lot.
One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather.
This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15048 on: September 11, 2011, 12:03:06 pm »

I am trying to make a Pressurized-Magma Volcano. I'd like to know if the vertical part of the Magma conduit can be made of stairs instead of channels.

I am aware of course that stairs allow liquids to pass... the question is: do they retain pressure?

Bump.

As far as I know, stairs are treated like open space for liquids in all respects.  Parts of my plumbing system are made of stairs (A long horizontal shaft made of just "Up Stairs") and it seems to transmit pressure just like open space / hollow rooms.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15049 on: September 11, 2011, 12:40:02 pm »

Anybody has a good 3x3 embark for a bad computer ?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64032.0

when i started playing DF way back i has a FPS of 5 with 8 dwarfs..
now i have a fort with 89 dwarf and a FPS of 125,

would it be smart to set the max dwarf to 125?
normaly i played with 80 dwarfs at a FPS of 50...

depends on your computer. 125 fps is a lot, i think you can safely go to 125 max. i play with the default 200 max and i get around 40 fps with a full fort. fps depends on a lot of things, fort layout (pathing), how many items are on the embark, the amount of liquid flows present, sometimes even where you're looking. you'll have to test it out to be sure.

and do i get any new nobels afther 100 dwarfs?
i only have a duchy now i wonder when i get a queen

and does anyone play with the nobels that you need to change the files to get, like a Dungeon Master?

i would really like to get the  Outpost liaison,sheriff,Diplomat,dungeon master,Forced Administrator,Hammerer
and a lot more nobels .....

search the wiki and you'll find the answers you need.

http://df.magmawiki.com/
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15050 on: September 12, 2011, 07:42:39 am »

I just killed a forgotten beast whose heavy weighted* corpse is now stored in my refuse stockpile.
If I make a "look around" with a keypress of "k" it reads: Zikath's clear glass

Can I "recycle" this in any way? Windows? Glass blocks? ...?

Thank you

* Weight 25999  :o
Please use Code-Tags for ascii illustrations relating DF

#....#
###### Bad
Code: [Select]
#....#
###### Good

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15051 on: September 12, 2011, 07:43:28 am »

Inorganic forgotten beast remains (such as glass) are completely useless.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15052 on: September 12, 2011, 08:05:03 am »

Too bad... I thought I could make a statue garden out of forgotten beast glass, build a mega construction out of fb glass or hundreds of nice looking fb glass vials...

Suggestion for future versions of DF: Make inorganic forgotten beast corpses recycable :P
Please use Code-Tags for ascii illustrations relating DF

#....#
###### Bad
Code: [Select]
#....#
###### Good

Blurk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15053 on: September 12, 2011, 09:01:20 am »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Pressure#Stairs
'As of 31.25 stairs do not neutralize pressure when water passes down through them.'

so im guessing the same goes for magma.
i'd say try it out, for science!

toker606

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15054 on: September 12, 2011, 09:05:48 am »

Just getting back into the game again since last year, does anyone know if flux presence has been retooled at all? I'm embarking on maps that supposedly have it, but it's no where near as prevalent as when I used to play. In fact, I haven't had a sniff of any yet. I'm still only into a basic excavation of my halls, no real exploratory digging done yet, but every other time I've played I wouldn't exactly need to go hunting for the stuff.
I would fill it with Magma if there was any on my map... there isn't, so I'm filling it with Rhesus Macaques.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15055 on: September 12, 2011, 09:52:29 am »

Just getting back into the game again since last year, does anyone know if flux presence has been retooled at all? I'm embarking on maps that supposedly have it, but it's no where near as prevalent as when I used to play. In fact, I haven't had a sniff of any yet. I'm still only into a basic excavation of my halls, no real exploratory digging done yet, but every other time I've played I wouldn't exactly need to go hunting for the stuff.

Can't say anything regarding changes from previous versions, but it took me a few in-game years to finally find some marble a good 40 or so z-levels below my fort.  It seems it's at least possible for it to be at a deep level.  I went from having no flux to having several thousand chunks of marble in a matter of months.  (Using v0.31.25)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15056 on: September 12, 2011, 10:21:56 am »

Too bad... I thought I could make a statue garden out of forgotten beast glass, build a mega construction out of fb glass or hundreds of nice looking fb glass vials...

You can put it *in* your statue garden, but it won't contribute to the room value or the dwarves' happiness.  It will just be aesthetically pleasing to the player.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15057 on: September 12, 2011, 10:26:29 am »

Suggestion for future versions of DF: Make inorganic forgotten beast corpses recycable :P
In the future, if you mod your game to include the Display Case workshop, you can put the forgotten beast remains in a display case.  It still doesn't do anything, but you can at least have it built as a building rather than sitting in a refuse pile.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15058 on: September 12, 2011, 10:43:59 am »

In the future, if you mod your game to include the Display Case workshop, you can put the forgotten beast remains in a display case.  It still doesn't do anything, but you can at least have it built as a building rather than sitting in a refuse pile.

Would an object in a Display Case contribute to the value of a room?  E.G. if I put a Display Case in a nobles bedroom containing an artifact harp, would it bump up his room from "Meager" to "Fine," or possibly add a chance for "admired a fine Display Case / harp recently" thought? 

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15059 on: September 12, 2011, 11:21:24 am »

Would an object in a Display Case contribute to the value of a room?  E.G. if I put a Display Case in a nobles bedroom containing an artifact harp, would it bump up his room from "Meager" to "Fine," or possibly add a chance for "admired a fine Display Case / harp recently" thought? 

It should, since the quality of the materials determine the quality/cost of the display case.  If the noble admires it, it'll be from admiring the Display Case, since they won't admire just one of the components of the building.
Pages: 1 ... 1002 1003 [1004] 1005 1006 ... 1178