Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1003 1004 [1005] 1006 1007 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125927 times)

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15060 on: September 12, 2011, 11:38:27 am »

Would an object in a Display Case contribute to the value of a room?  E.G. if I put a Display Case in a nobles bedroom containing an artifact harp, would it bump up his room from "Meager" to "Fine," or possibly add a chance for "admired a fine Display Case / harp recently" thought? 

It should, since the quality of the materials determine the quality/cost of the display case.  If the noble admires it, it'll be from admiring the Display Case, since they won't admire just one of the components of the building.

Neato!  Considering displaying the corpses of dead pets in their owners' rooms now.

KalLaba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15061 on: September 12, 2011, 12:30:47 pm »

So , after playing a bit I've decided to start up some magma forges but ... The only magma Ive seen is in the magma sea or 3 levels above . So the rest of my fortress is about 50 z levels above , what would you do ?

Build the forges 50 z levels down and make  dedicated stairs or just use all the lignite etc I have ?
(Im not sure if me or my pc is up to a 50 level pump stack)

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15062 on: September 12, 2011, 12:39:15 pm »

A pump stack for forges doesn't cost FPS, as you only turn it on for a little mount of time (fill the magma corridors), and then turn it off.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15063 on: September 12, 2011, 07:52:33 pm »

So , after playing a bit I've decided to start up some magma forges but ... The only magma Ive seen is in the magma sea or 3 levels above . So the rest of my fortress is about 50 z levels above , what would you do ?

Build the forges 50 z levels down and make  dedicated stairs or just use all the lignite etc I have ?
(Im not sure if me or my pc is up to a 50 level pump stack)

The wiki has some excellent suggestions on how to easily accomplish fortress level magma.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15064 on: September 13, 2011, 07:01:58 am »

Can I (mis)use a retracting bridge as a giant floodgate in the floor?

If yes:
As there exists a weight limit for bridges, is this also true for water, which is carried by the bridge?
Or only for creatures?

Side view:
Code: [Select]
# wall
~ water
+ retracting bridge
. open space

#~~~~#
#~~~~#
#~~~~#
#~~~~#
#~~~~#
#~~~~#
#~~~~#
#~~~~#
#++++#
#....#
#....#
#....#

Thank you : )

Please use Code-Tags for ascii illustrations relating DF

#....#
###### Bad
#....#
###### Good

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15065 on: September 13, 2011, 07:18:16 am »

The weight limit only applies to creatures, so water is fine.

It also only applies to each creature individually, so you can have a billion cavy boars but not a single fully-grown dragon.
[Signature]

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15066 on: September 13, 2011, 07:51:49 am »

The weight limit only applies to creatures, so water is fine.
I assume magma will be fine too if build out of magma safe materials.

Thank you

#....#
###### Bad
#....#
###### Good

toker606

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15067 on: September 13, 2011, 10:55:18 am »

My jeweler's workshop seems to be getting cluttered with finished goods that my gem cutter has carved directly out of rough gems, large gems, figurines, scepters and the like. I have a finished goods stockpile with all materials and items accepted, that's where all my stone based crafts are being placed, but my dwarves aren't putting the gemstone ones in there. Any ideas what I need to do?
I would fill it with Magma if there was any on my map... there isn't, so I'm filling it with Rhesus Macaques.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15068 on: September 13, 2011, 12:28:15 pm »

Finished goods stockpiles are bugged.  They don't accept finished goods made from any gem material, even though they have a category for 'large gem' type finished goods.  There is currently no stockpile that accepts (non-glass) large gems or other finished goods made from gemstone.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15069 on: September 13, 2011, 12:37:25 pm »

My jeweler's workshop seems to be getting cluttered with finished goods that my gem cutter has carved directly out of rough gems, large gems, figurines, scepters and the like. I have a finished goods stockpile with all materials and items accepted, that's where all my stone based crafts are being placed, but my dwarves aren't putting the gemstone ones in there. Any ideas what I need to do?

You could try making a dump zone on top of your finished goods stockpile and periodically activate it and dump the items, to avoid workshop clutter at the jeweler's.

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15070 on: September 13, 2011, 03:40:30 pm »

You could try making a dump zone on top of your finished goods stockpile and periodically activate it and dump the items, to avoid workshop clutter at the jeweler's.
As I have the same problem this is a very helpful workaround. Thank you

#....#
###### Bad
#....#
###### Good

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15071 on: September 13, 2011, 04:05:33 pm »

Can I dig to the very edge of the map to drain water there?
Will I be able to build a "paved road" onto the very last tiles to prevent the growing of tower-caps, which are blocking water flow?

@ outside map
# wall
. channel/tunnel with paved road

Top view:

###@@
###@@
...@@      <---- I would like to drain here
###@@
###@@

Edit:
No I can't.
But I can carve a fortification into the last tile, which is no problem for my purposes.

Thank you very much.
This is a great forum here.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 04:11:48 pm by xelo »

#....#
###### Bad
#....#
###### Good

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15072 on: September 13, 2011, 04:44:54 pm »

Can you use machines/powered-parts to create traps or death hallways? Can you link powered axles to traps, floodgates, or doors like levers?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15073 on: September 13, 2011, 05:35:26 pm »

Axles and gears can only link to millstones and pumps.  You can however use a pump, a pressure plate, and some water as a rotation sensor, and use that to trigger floodgates or doors.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15074 on: September 13, 2011, 06:46:55 pm »

I can't seem to make crystal glass - I have sand, pearlash, and rough rock crystals. Am I missing something?
Pages: 1 ... 1003 1004 [1005] 1006 1007 ... 1178