Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 850 851 [852] 853 854 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124858 times)

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12765 on: June 27, 2011, 11:32:12 pm »

Is an artifact bone short sword a very good weapon or a very crappy weapon?

A bone short sword, even artifact, is basically worthless as a weapon for military. It would probably work well in a weapons trap or in a nobles room.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12766 on: June 27, 2011, 11:34:49 pm »

Is an artifact bone short sword a very good weapon or a very crappy weapon?

A bone short sword, even artifact, is basically worthless as a weapon for military. It would probably work well in a weapons trap or in a nobles room.

Thats what I was afraid of. I guess Ill just let the guy who crafted it (an off duty marksman no less) carry it around and be the sheriff or something

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12767 on: June 28, 2011, 01:10:10 am »

Do bones produce miasma?
Skulls, bones, hair, teeth, horn, and hooves do NOT produce miasma.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12768 on: June 28, 2011, 01:30:07 am »

Are brooks an unlimited source of water or will they eventually run out?

I'm quite new myself, but I'm fairly sure they're infinite. Actually, murky pools are, in a way, infinite as well - rain refills them.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12769 on: June 28, 2011, 01:33:52 am »

Are brooks an unlimited source of water or will they eventually run out?

I'm quite new myself, but I'm fairly sure they're infinite. Actually, murky pools are, in a way, infinite as well - rain refills them.

Dry biomes can drain murky pools.  I've had them stay dry for years.  I will never embark anywhere there's not a river :P
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

WizardGo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12770 on: June 28, 2011, 01:38:39 am »

Hi, i got 2 questions

Can i throw stuff on water? like things i want to dump, If so... how?

and well how do i trade stuff?

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12771 on: June 28, 2011, 01:40:14 am »

How does one determine those that you've engraved memorials of, and those you haven't?

Question still present and in need of answering.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12772 on: June 28, 2011, 01:46:44 am »

I have a markdwarf outside with a damaged feet. He won't move since some time (perhaps one month?). If I remove him from military, he switch to idle. He is not within a burrow. So... either he is wounded and should go to the hospital, or he should work... why is he doing nothing?

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12773 on: June 28, 2011, 01:48:36 am »

Hi, i got 2 questions

Can i throw stuff on water? like things i want to dump, If so... how?

and well how do i trade stuff?

Throwing stuff in water? I'm not sure if things wash away from map properly if dumped in river, but you could build a retractable bridge/trapdoor over water, put your garbage there and open the trapdoor/bridge. On the other hand, most garbage rots away eventually in any case.

Trading stuff happens when a caravan comes to your fort (have a trade depot accessible). The trade options are available at the depot's commands. If it's elves, by the way, don't offer wooden items, or anything that needs wood to produce (there are, I think, a few exceptions but play it safe for now).

I have a markdwarf outside with a damaged feet. He won't move since some time (perhaps one month?). If I remove him from military, he switch to idle. He is not within a burrow. So... either he is wounded and should go to the hospital, or he should work... why is he doing nothing?

Wild guess: He can't walk, and none of your dwarves has the labour needed to walk him?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12774 on: June 28, 2011, 01:51:11 am »

Throwing stuff in water? I'm not sure if things wash away from map properly if dumped in river, but you could build a retractable bridge/trapdoor over water, put your garbage there and open the trapdoor/bridge. On the other hand, most garbage rots away eventually in any case.

Trading stuff happens when a caravan comes to your fort (have a trade depot accessible). The trade options are available at the depot's commands. If it's elves, by the way, don't offer wooden items, or anything that needs wood to produce (there are, I think, a few exceptions but play it safe for now).

The only exception I can think of is metal and metal items made from charcoal, and that's because game don't track if charcoal or coke, or even magma, are used in production of the items. Pretty much everything else I can think of that contains or uses wood in it's process are going to piss them off.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12775 on: June 28, 2011, 01:51:15 am »

How does one determine those that you've engraved memorials of, and those you haven't?

Question still present and in need of answering.

Look in your justice screen and make slabs for ghosts that show up there.  Trying to keep up with them any other way will just make you pull your beard off and do a Lizzie Borden.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12776 on: June 28, 2011, 01:52:57 am »

Are there any dwarves with the retrieve wounded job idling, who have access to where the marksdwarf is?

Checked pathing?  Checked burrows?

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12777 on: June 28, 2011, 01:54:49 am »

The only exception I can think of is metal and metal items made from charcoal, and that's because game don't track if charcoal or coke, or even magma, are used in production of the items. Pretty much everything else I can think of that contains or uses wood in it's process are going to piss them off.

Yeah, to clarify: only stuff that couldn't have been made without wood is bad. Innocent until proven otherwise! However, the Wiki has one (possibly outdated) exception, that rwa clear/crystal glass won't anger them.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12778 on: June 28, 2011, 05:35:17 am »

I've heard about dragons not being able to lay eggs because they're megabeasts and I asume it to be true, but would the same apply to my cave dragon? If it worthwhile I'll construct some nestboxes and see for myself but I'd like to know anyway. :)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12779 on: June 28, 2011, 05:37:27 am »

I don't think you can. Engraving memorials is one of those things I hate doing because the interface to select a dwarf is extremely messy. I usually just check the names and look through the list for every single deceased.
It's also why I prefer to use tombs.
Pages: 1 ... 850 851 [852] 853 854 ... 1178