Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 849 850 [851] 852 853 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124808 times)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12750 on: June 27, 2011, 02:23:03 pm »

stupid newbie question, how to free an animal from a cage (that I bought from the caravan)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12751 on: June 27, 2011, 02:39:30 pm »

Assign the animal to a cage or pasture.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12752 on: June 27, 2011, 02:51:12 pm »

He is already in a cage, so I assume assigning to a pasture will work, thanks.

How can a giant eagle perforate the lung of a dwarf, through his cloak, when he is (the dwarf, not the eagle) wearing a chain mail? Damn!!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12753 on: June 27, 2011, 02:52:14 pm »

Luck.

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #12754 on: June 27, 2011, 04:07:01 pm »

Some questions:
1) I have tons of lead and electrum, what's the best use for these materials?
2) Is possible that a tanner workshop become cluttered when tanning a single horse (or bull) skin?
3) The dwarven caravan brought me a bumblebee venom barrel. It's useful for something? Maybe to poison swords?
4) Every time a coffin is constructed, I have to set "use for burial"->yes, it is possible to set this by default like [COFFIN_NO_PETS_DEFAULT:YES] in d_init file?

Thanks in advance

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #12755 on: June 27, 2011, 05:33:58 pm »

2) Is possible that a tanner workshop become cluttered when tanning a single horse (or bull) skin?
3) The dwarven caravan brought me a bumblebee venom barrel. It's useful for something? Maybe to poison swords?
4) Every time a coffin is constructed, I have to set "use for burial"->yes, it is possible to set this by default like [COFFIN_NO_PETS_DEFAULT:YES] in d_init file?
1) get rid of the lead, dump it in magma. Or make lead flooring or have your metalcrafter practice with lead crafts. Electrum, make furniture, crafts and workshops out of it.
2) Not that I know of.
3) It's useless junk unless you mod the venom to be a cooking ingredient. Or try dropping the barrel through a deconstruct-floor cave-in onto the goblin squads.
4) Yes, you have to set use-yes on them. It's so that random pets don't get immediately buried in the elite tomb-room you built and engraved.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12756 on: June 27, 2011, 05:36:54 pm »

Do bones produce miasma?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12757 on: June 27, 2011, 05:42:46 pm »

No.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12758 on: June 27, 2011, 06:01:36 pm »

How does one determine those that you've engraved memorials of, and those you haven't?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #12759 on: June 27, 2011, 06:19:19 pm »

1) get rid of the lead, dump it in magma. Or make lead flooring or have your metalcrafter practice with lead crafts. Electrum, make furniture, crafts and workshops out of it.
2) Not that I know of.
3) It's useless junk unless you mod the venom to be a cooking ingredient. Or try dropping the barrel through a deconstruct-floor cave-in onto the goblin squads.
4) Yes, you have to set use-yes on them. It's so that random pets don't get immediately buried in the elite tomb-room you built and engraved.

Thank you, I save these informations for my next fort, since I just opened the gates of oblivion unleashing 92 (92!!) flying demons that killed about 160 dwarves...  :o
Eight dwarves have escaped and thanks to the sacrifice of the manager I sealed the entrance of the fortress raising the drawbridge and deconstructing the lever. (The manager is still alive and he's enraged). I'm waiting for some migrants, I need at least one miner to dig a tunnel and sneak inside in order to save the food stockpile. Have I any chance to get a miner?

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12760 on: June 27, 2011, 06:38:39 pm »

Possibly... You could also wait for a caravan, making wooden crafts...
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12761 on: June 27, 2011, 07:26:53 pm »

is there a way to prevent caravan from getting massacred 1 second after they enter the map ?

they ALWAYS get ambushed instantly after I press the resume button !

another thing, is there any other way to train close range fighter effectively WITHOUT using a danger room ??

My suggestion for the caravan would be to set up a patrol route that runs the perimeter of your map, and set one of your military squads to patrol that as their schedule. There's always a chance that an ambush will come in after one set of dwarves goes by, and the caravan shows up there before the next one passes, but it at least gives you a good chance of spotting ambushes hanging around the edge of your map.

As for the second one... Dunno how effectively is effectively, they can train on their own, or as part of a schedule, but this might not be that effective. You could also set up an arena if you capture a lot of things in cage traps, let the military fight them as their "training," but again, probably not as effective as a danger room. I don't use danger rooms myself either, though.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12762 on: June 27, 2011, 09:25:50 pm »

Bah danger rooms, real dwarves use sparring. (yes I know it's a singleplayer game and folks can use what they want, I'm joking)

My own method is to just set them to train 2 months of each season to reduce the happy thought from long patrol and not allow my military to have any other labors.  They will train normally for 2 months then train a third month on their own without being on duty because they have nothing better to do.

As for speeding it up Having a dwarf with high skill in both teacher and combat skills helps drastically, If I get one I usually make them my Commanders.  The recruits having high skill in teaching also helps(sometimes the students will demonstrate what they learned to others) but high skill in student and observation is good for all of them.  Of course that's only handy if you have one of those mods that have workshops to train student, teacher, and observation.  Because your chances of actually getting a significant number of soldiers with even 1 of those skills is slim to none.

But the jist of it is that training is supposed to be slow.  You aren't supposed to be able to train up legendary godslayers in a year like back in the 40D days.    Training will speed up as they train longer, if it helps.  Because as they train they will also gain student, teacher, and observer skills while learning their weapons, increasing their learning speed as well.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:27:34 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12763 on: June 27, 2011, 11:27:58 pm »

Is an artifact bone short sword a very good weapon or a very crappy weapon?

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12764 on: June 27, 2011, 11:28:48 pm »

Are brooks an unlimited source of water or will they eventually run out?
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"
Pages: 1 ... 849 850 [851] 852 853 ... 1178