Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 837 838 [839] 840 841 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125194 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12570 on: June 21, 2011, 06:03:43 pm »

You can't carve one out from a down stair, but you can [ b ]uild an up/down stair [C]onstruction.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12571 on: June 21, 2011, 06:05:06 pm »

Can you carve a down stair out under an up stair and get an up/down stair?

Can you carve an up/down stair into just a down or just an up stair?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 06:09:20 pm by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12572 on: June 21, 2011, 08:02:20 pm »

Can't remember this -- can you carve a down staircase into an up/down staircase later? What about an up/down staircase? Trying to decide whether to build my storage rooms above or below & which would allow for best later expansion. Thanks!

You can build a constructed up/down staircase onto an existing down stair.

You can remove up ramps and stairs using the d -> z for dug or d -> n for built.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12573 on: June 21, 2011, 08:07:02 pm »

Can you carve a down stair out under an up stair and get an up/down stair?

Can you carve an up/down stair into just a down or just an up stair?

1) No

2) Yes, you can make an up/down into just a down by d->z and removing the up stair, or by deconstructing the up/down constructed stair and rebuilding it as a down or an up stair.  You might have to build a floor under a deconstructed up/down that you turn into an up.

(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12574 on: June 21, 2011, 08:27:31 pm »

What happens to a water wheel and pump if the river they're using freezes during the winter?

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12575 on: June 21, 2011, 11:48:49 pm »

What happens to a water wheel and pump if the river they're using freezes during the winter?
They stop working.

If they were under water and that water roze... I'm not sure if they deconstruct or not.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #12576 on: June 22, 2011, 12:38:54 am »

I need leather, and quick.  My leatherworker used up all the leather in the fortress sewing leather images to train up to legendary, and now I need to make enough masterwork leather cloaks to kit out  my military.  I've requested leather from the dwarf liason, but it's not enough.  Any idea what animal has the highest gestation rate?  Puppies?  Between forgotten beasts and voracious cave crawler mounts trapped from sieges, I have more than enough meat, so food is not a concern.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12577 on: June 22, 2011, 01:07:41 am »

I need leather, and quick.  My leatherworker used up all the leather in the fortress sewing leather images to train up to legendary, and now I need to make enough masterwork leather cloaks to kit out  my military.  I've requested leather from the dwarf liason, but it's not enough.  Any idea what animal has the highest gestation rate?  Puppies?  Between forgotten beasts and voracious cave crawler mounts trapped from sieges, I have more than enough meat, so food is not a concern.

Can you send hunters out of the fort, or is it too dangerous?

Dogs work nicely if you build up a big enough base population, and they don't graze.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #12578 on: June 22, 2011, 01:14:44 am »

I've got everything a few tiles in from the map edge walled/channelled off, so danger isn't a problem.  We just don't get too many animals passing through.  Capybara, horses and the occasional alligator are chopped up in the weapon traps, but it's not nearly enough, and the distance thing comes into play when I send out the military to kill animals.

I've got a fair number of dogs, despite butchering most of the females early on in a bid to keep the population down.  Shouldn't be too hard to start up the population, though I was hoping for a better option.  Puppy cloaks for everyone, it seems!

Has it been suggested that larger animals should produce more than one leather?  Hard to see an elephant providing the same square footage as a kitten.  Would be nice to tan a puppy skin and get one leather, while adult dogs give 2 or 3.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12579 on: June 22, 2011, 01:24:51 am »

Have as many non-grazers as you can, unless you're playing .18 or earlier, then buy EVERY animals you can find from elves and human traders. I don't know why dwarves never bring in anything extra that I see in embarking screen. Let them breed explosively, being sure to reserve at least two adult males ( Only need one, but just in case ) and ten or more adult females, up to 49 in total for each specie. You'll have a lot of cookable stuff after, but you can trade meals away  :D

Alternatively, make cage traps, trap every critters, modify your save raw so PET_EXOTIC is PET and tame them, breed and butcher them up.

Evaristo Carriego

• Bay Watcher
  • Gelder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12580 on: June 22, 2011, 01:44:12 am »

after a while they end.
they are magmaproof however.
but walls (NOT fortified) should work.
or caveins if the first thing don't work.
they are actually magma proof.
but not obsidian proof.

That helps, thanks.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12581 on: June 22, 2011, 02:11:48 am »

They stop working.

If they were under water and that water roze... I'm not sure if they deconstruct or not.
They don't deconstruct.  They just sit there until the water thaws. 
----

If I turn down the chance to appoint a baron, will the mountain home ask again?  Or is it over forever? 

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12582 on: June 22, 2011, 02:29:57 am »

This is exactly why I tend to import a lot of leather, cloth etc. I'm not an experienced player but it always seems that I have more than enough stuff to trade away.

Then my own newbie questions:

* How much slacking should be tolerated? I wince whenever I have over 10 idlers although I think I'm overreacting because my fortress, as I already mentioned, is well-off.
* I had another question as well but I forgot it on the way... sorry :)
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12583 on: June 22, 2011, 02:34:34 am »

They stop working.

----

If I turn down the chance to appoint a baron, will the mountain home ask again?  Or is it over forever?

it's forever they ask.
and forever it is.
point is, until you do appoint one...the liaison leaves with the merchants, or at least it's what i read happens. but who wouldn't appoint a noble!??!? XD
if you appoint your mayor as one, you just need for him a tomb. usually the rest is covered up already.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12584 on: June 22, 2011, 02:37:21 am »

They stop working.

----

They will ask again.  I always turn them down the first time, then look through my dwarves for dwarves who like materials and items that won't be terribly hard to make, and the next time they ask I choose a dwarf that is appropriate :)
Pages: 1 ... 837 838 [839] 840 841 ... 1178