Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 836 837 [838] 839 840 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125175 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12555 on: June 21, 2011, 03:00:34 am »

Thanks - no dice for windows, or anything, so I've replaced him with a dwarf who likes gabbro and anvils...

Sigh - but they keep being re-elected, and I don't really want to kill off my best glassmaker (hey - if he's the one that can't make it, will he punish himself?)

He'll tell his sheriff to beat him.  If there's no sheriff, he'll write it down in the lawbooks, and when you install a sheriff, all justice will be performed back-to back.

Best bet:

b -> j = build a cage onto the floor.  Make it a justice building.  Can do the same with b -> v for chains.

I like to build nice big jails, about 10x10 in rock and get my best blacksmith to make high value platinum / gold / aluminum cages and install them.  Then smooth the whole room and engrave it.  Then put lots of statues made by your best mason in it.  Then assign the statue garden as a public building to the same area as the jail.

Unless absolutely required, I turn off all jobs for the sheriff except feed/water in the healthcare section.  He'll take care of both prisoners and patients that way, and spend a lot of time idling in meeting areas where your dwarves are, allowing him to act quickly against tantruming dwarves. 

How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12556 on: June 21, 2011, 04:13:08 am »

OR you can do something.
to have one you like being elected, make him NOT work. and stay in the meeting area with other dwarves.
THEN grab the little glassmaker prick and THROW HIM in exile.
like a 5*5 room with booze and food, and close him in.
after a while, he'll be a loner, and the other one should get more elected (or at least, stay put in place)
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12557 on: June 21, 2011, 04:17:50 am »

OR you can do something.
to have one you like being elected, make him NOT work. and stay in the meeting area with other dwarves.
THEN grab the little glassmaker prick and THROW HIM in exile.
like a 5*5 room with booze and food, and close him in.
after a while, he'll be a loner, and the other one should get more elected (or at least, stay put in place)

Urist has just created a magnificent artifact lever!

Wouldn't you like to see it Mr Mayor?  It's right over here in the new store room we built for surplus food & alcohol.

Why is there a bed, table, chairs, coffers, and everything a dwarf needs to live here?

Wait?  What? *forbid door* *assign rooms* *set mayor jobs to manager and bookkeeper*
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Miner49

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12558 on: June 21, 2011, 07:58:01 am »

Have you mined two downward staircases? You need to mine one downward staircase on the level above, and one upward staircase on the level below.

Your miners might also be having a break (although that's unlikely that early in the game) to check this, press for a list of all the units on the map, and see if there is 'On break' written next to your miners.

As for the wagon, it serves no in game purpose other than to hold your stuff at the start. You can deconstruct it for 3 logs. Press [q] to bring up the building interaction cursor, and then when the cursor is over the wagon, press
  • to have your dwarves deconstruct it.
Thanks, I hadn't known you had to place 1 downward and 1 upward.

And also, it's nice to know about the wagon. :)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12559 on: June 21, 2011, 09:48:09 am »

Your miners might also be having a break (although that's unlikely that early in the game) to check this, press for a list of all the units on the map, and see if there is 'On break' written next to your miners.

As for the wagon, it serves no in game purpose other than to hold your stuff at the start. You can deconstruct it for 3 logs. Press [q] to bring up the building interaction cursor, and then when the cursor is over the wagon, press
  • to have your dwarves deconstruct it.
I would suggest that you use a different markup to represent keystrokes on this forum.  (u) or {u} or u or pretty much anything other than left-square-bracket u right-square-bracket, or less-than u greater-than.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Evaristo Carriego

• Bay Watcher
  • Gelder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12560 on: June 21, 2011, 12:19:58 pm »

What's the best way to seal the circus after opening it? Is the flow of clowns truly endless, meaning I would need a obsidian-inducing contraption of some sort, or would just a wall do?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12561 on: June 21, 2011, 12:41:49 pm »

What's the best way to seal the circus after opening it? Is the flow of clowns truly endless, meaning I would need a obsidian-inducing contraption of some sort, or would just a wall do?

after a while they end.
they are magmaproof however.
but walls (NOT fortified) should work.
or caveins if the first thing don't work.
they are actually magma proof.
but not obsidian proof.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12562 on: June 21, 2011, 01:02:19 pm »

I just killed a forgotten beast (easily I might add,first fort I found to have coal and iron) but my dwarves are still freaking out when they see its corpse. They won't get close enough to move it and it died right in the middle of one of my main hallways. How do I fix this and/or get rid of the body. Help!!!
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12563 on: June 21, 2011, 01:04:43 pm »

I just killed a forgotten beast (easily I might add,first fort I found to have coal and iron) but my dwarves are still freaking out when they see its corpse. They won't get close enough to move it and it died right in the middle of one of my main hallways. How do I fix this and/or get rid of the body. Help!!!

You sure it's dead? Are there any other wild critters in the hallway? Do you have space in your refuses stockpile?

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12564 on: June 21, 2011, 01:07:11 pm »

It does not show up on the unit menu. My military still has orders to patrol over it's corpse and are not attacking anything. I have plenty of space in the refuse pile. I just keep getting spammed by canceled orders from the forgotten beast interrupting and my dwarves flee from the sight of it.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12565 on: June 21, 2011, 02:17:23 pm »

It does not show up on the unit menu. My military still has orders to patrol over it's corpse and are not attacking anything. I have plenty of space in the refuse pile. I just keep getting spammed by canceled orders from the forgotten beast interrupting and my dwarves flee from the sight of it.

When you go to the announcement screen and zoom in on the announcement for a job cancellation due to forgotten beast, does it zoom in on that beast?

If so, might want to dig up underneath it and cause it to fall down a level then put a floor over it, or dig above it and drop a piece of floor on it.

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12566 on: June 21, 2011, 02:48:31 pm »

When you go to the announcement screen and zoom in on the announcement for a job cancellation due to forgotten beast, does it zoom in on that beast?

If so, might want to dig up underneath it and cause it to fall down a level then put a floor over it, or dig above it and drop a piece of floor on it.

I tried digging around it but my miners get scared and cancel the mining job until the get far enough away, calm down, take the job again, see the dead forgotten beast corpse, run away screaming URIST CANCELED DIG INTERRUPTED BY FORGOTTEN BEAST (yes my dwarves speak in third person)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:56:21 pm by LordShotGun »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12567 on: June 21, 2011, 02:52:06 pm »

I tried digging around it but my miners get scared and cancel the mining job until the get far enough away, calm down, take the job again, see the dead forgotten beast corpse, run away screaming URIST CANCELED DIG INTERRUPTED BY FORGOTTEN BEAST (yes my dwarves speak in third person)

Make a copy of the save game at this point.  upload it to dffd and put in a mantis bug about it and link the save.

Don't try to dig around it, dig below it to make it fall, or above it to drop a piece of cavern on it.

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12568 on: June 21, 2011, 02:56:27 pm »

AH HA!!! On a hunch I managed to make another tunnel to let in a second forgotten beast and THAT was causing the cancellations. Yet I am still confused as to why it was causing these cancellations all of a sudden. The first beast had wings so that's how it made it into my base but I made sure that the second beast could not make it this opening if it did not have wings, (it only entered my base after opening up a different shaft to it). Perhaps it moved somehow and my dwarves caught sight of it?

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12569 on: June 21, 2011, 05:53:01 pm »

Can't remember this -- can you carve a down staircase into an up/down staircase later? What about an up/down staircase? Trying to decide whether to build my storage rooms above or below & which would allow for best later expansion. Thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 836 837 [838] 839 840 ... 1178